Is college football near the end as we know it.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Do employees get a share of company profits or are they paid a competitive wage?

Well, students aren’t employees. They are students. And they are paid. They get a free education, strength and conditioning, nutrition, networking, life planning, and a host of other services.

I can remember when the NCAA first introduced the term “student athlete”. We are coming full circle again ... it’s athlete first and student kinda sorta.
I have a feeling that there will be an NFL Minor League System in the future for those not wanting to go to College and all this will wind up being a mute point:cigar:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling that there will be an NFL Minor League System in the future for those not wanting to go to College and all this will wind up being a mute point:cigar:

If the NFL wants to pick up the tab for the football operations and pay full ride, fine.

What I’m against is making money by being part of the program but leaving costs to someone else. That’s a death sentence long term.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Do employees get a share of company profits or are they paid a competitive wage?

Well, students aren’t employees. They are students. And they are paid. They get a free education, strength and conditioning, nutrition, networking, life planning, and a host of other services.

I can remember when the NCAA first introduced the term “student athlete”. We are coming full circle again ... it’s athlete first and student kinda sorta.
They aren’t paid. They receive in-kind compensation which is capped in scope and amount. They’re worth more than the cap. I know this because if they weren’t there would be no objection to changing the rules.

And they are employees. Don’t think so? See what happens to their benefits if they stop showing up for practice (but continue attending and excelling in class).

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Eventually this may open a can of worms from a different perspective. If the athletes are considered employees of the school/ athletic association and they are injured, will they qualify for worker’s compensation benefits , including long-term disability payments? If they are considered independent contractors instead, can they file a liability claim instead? The latter isn’t afforded caps on payouts.

This could be the best thing that has happened for plaintiffs’ lawyers in quite some time!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And they are employees. Don’t think so?

No, I don't think so. You know how I know? Not one files a W-2. Not one.

They are students. Who happen to get a grant and tuition waiver from the school in exchange for representing the school. At other schools, that same courtesy applies to cheerleaders and mascots.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

They are students. Who happen to get a grant and tuition waiver from the school in exchange for representing the school. At other schools, that same courtesy applies to cheerleaders and mascots.
They may have to pay taxes on their room and board and non-tuition benefits. Also, student and non-employee aren’t mutually exclusive. The players can get fired for not showing up to practice or games. Seems pretty employee-ish!

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow

"student athlete" is a term the NCAA made up so that member schools wouldn't have to pay worker's comp or insurance claims for injured players. The rest is marketing.

And to be clear, I am 100% totally OK with the complete de-coupling of athletics from universities (and middle/high schools, for that matter). Professional clubs should have to pay for their own development pipelines.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They may have to pay taxes on their room and board and non-tuition benefits. Also, student and non-employee aren’t mutually exclusive. The players can get fired for not showing up to practice or games. Seems pretty employee-ish!

Sorry, but you seem to be arguing that players are "employees" and subject to Federal and state labor laws. Just because you commit to participating in mandated practice and losing your grant because you don't show up does not make you an employee. An employee is one who exchanges labor for wages or salary and a grant is neither. Moreso, if players are "employees", you now must qualify for American for Disabilities Act, Non-Discrimination, and a host of other regulations. In short …

Student Athletes are NOT employees. Nor do they have employee rights.

I think what some have alluded to is an interesting angle … let professional or sports unions provide the grants rather than the AA. If a player wants to play for a D1 school, let the NFL provide a stipend and guarantee that the player would be evaluated after his service. The NFL could even make them an "employee" under such rules much like ROTC works. A cadet is an employee and received service credit while in school and can be eligible for service benefits.

There appears, once again, to be no strategy and we will get a patchwork of solutions.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry, but you seem to be arguing that players are "employees" and subject to Federal and state labor laws. Just because you commit to participating in mandated practice and losing your grant because you don't show up does not make you an employee. An employee is one who exchanges labor for wages or salary and a grant is neither. Moreso, if players are "employees", you now must qualify for American for Disabilities Act, Non-Discrimination, and a host of other regulations. In short …

Student Athletes are NOT employees. Nor do they have employee rights.

I think what some have alluded to is an interesting angle … let professional or sports unions provide the grants rather than the AA. If a player wants to play for a D1 school, let the NFL provide a stipend and guarantee that the player would be evaluated after his service. The NFL could even make them an "employee" under such rules much like ROTC works. A cadet is an employee and received service credit while in school and can be eligible for service benefits.

There appears, once again, to be no strategy and we will get a patchwork of solutions.
Out of curiosity, what does undergrad/grad research for money/credits fall under? I vaguely remember signing some employment papers and being barred from working more than 20 (?) hours per week as well as restriction from taking on any other student job (e.g. manning a desk or being an RA), but I also don't recall a "host" of regulations along the lines of what you mentioned coming into play.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity, what does undergrad/grad research for money/credits fall under? I vaguely remember signing some employment papers and being barred from working more than 20 (?) hours per week as well as restriction from taking on any other student job (e.g. manning a desk or being an RA), but I also don't recall a "host" of regulations along the lines of what you mentioned coming into play.

Only you know what your status was. If you were hired under a grant from an institution, that’s an animal unto itself. From what you described, I’m betting you were hired as a contractor.

Federal law defines what is and is not, an employee. Currently, students playing sports are not deemed to be employees regardless of what metaphor we feel good about using to describe them.