Is Baseball On It's Way Out?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/15/opinion/downey-baseball-drop-off/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I don't know the answer since it involves millions of people. But I'd much rather watch the TDF (Tour de France) or World Cup than MLB.

Damn, I just checked the AL East standings for the first time in a few months and the Orioles are in first. :)

Yankees are at 500 ball and Red Sox are last.

94 games into a 160+ game season. The money teams will buy players for the stretch run and it'll be different at the end. Wake me when it's play off time.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't say that MLB needs to be done away with, but I'd be alright with shortening the season (same goes for NBA). 162 games is a lot. People may be more interested if the season was shorter, making it so you have to win more games in less time. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it'd be a little more competitive.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/15/opinion/downey-baseball-drop-off/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I don't know the answer since it involves millions of people. But I'd much rather watch the TDF (Tour de France) or World Cup than MLB.

Damn, I just checked the AL East standings for the first time in a few months and the Orioles are in first. :)

Yankees are at 500 ball and Red Sox are last.

94 games into a 160+ game season. The money teams will buy players for the stretch run and it'll be different at the end. Wake me when it's play off time.
It'll be more interesting to me if they start playing baseball and get off the "homerun derby" train.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
People have been predicting the demise of baseball for longer than I've been alive. You'll forgive me if I don't lose sleep over it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't fathom anything being more boring than watching a bicycle race...

Listen to Paul Sherwen and Phil Liggett call the TDF races and explain the strategy. I raced on a cycling team and it was the most fun of anything I have done (running, triathlon, biking). I agree going to a bike race is BORING. But watching it on TV is really good - I've been watching every day and if it's slow just zip ahead. Tomorrow is the start of the big mountains so we'll see.

My bucket list includes going to France and watching the peleton go by on a mountain stage or two. But the most fun will be camping out and enjoying the people. Kind of like NASCAR with wine and foie gras.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The season certainly does need to be shorter. Problem I have with the MLB is by the time I actually could start to care about because the games actually start to mean something for the playoff picture, football is starting up. It also seems like players are on a new team every 2 years but in a way every sport is turning into that as well.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not very into baseball. The season does need to have less games. The fun part about football is every game means something and you start your best players. Hard to be excited about the Braves #4 pitcher vs. Nationals #3. I say play 1 game a week and throw your best and then I'll be interested again.