Introduce yourself

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm Mike Jackets and had to start a new handle because of a new computer and forgetting my old password. I'm disabled and have had bad health and computer problems and i'm glad to be back in time to start the 2017 football season!;):cool:
Hey, gettin' your mind right for the upcoming season means you're doing okay! Hope the health turns around and you get to enjoy each and every game.

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Hi, fellow Techsters...
I'm an oldster just new to this board. Electrical Engineering grad in 1971. Helped build the ElectWrek electric car that we entered in the 1970 Clean Air Car Race from MIT to CalTech. We drove the Wrek from Cambridge, MA to St. Louis and came in 3rd place in the electric category. Also was a co-op from 1967 - 1970 working for IBM which had the contract with NASA to build the Instrument Unit for the Saturn V rockets in the Apollo lunar space program. The book written about 100 years of the GT Co-op program had a write-up about my work at IBM.

My favorite Tech football game when I was at Tech was probably beating Tennessee 6-3 my freshman year. It was Bobby Dodd's last year coaching and Tech went 9-0 before losing to Georgia and then Florida in the Orange Bowl to finish 9-2. Back then, freshmen played on separate teams, never on the varsity, and I knew several of the players who were in Cloudman dorm with me. My most memorable play, and this would need to be verified, was a freshman punter's kick. The line of scrimmage was Tech's own 13 and the guy kicked a tremendous spiral which landed and bounded forward several times before settling about 2 yards into the oppostie end zone. An 87 yard punt, still to this day the longest punt I've ever seen or heard of. I swear I remember this correctly, but if someone has the records from the freshman football team that year and can verify what I remember, I'd be interested to know if I really do remember it correctly.

My favorite basketball game was beating UNC during the Christmas break one year when UNC was ranked #2 in the country. Whack Hyder was the coach then.

I've lived in South Florida since 1972 and in Coral Gables since 1985. My career was mostly in Telecommunications and now I'm a commercial real estate agent and investor working in South and Central Florida. Go Tech!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hi, fellow Techsters...
I'm an oldster just new to this board. Electrical Engineering grad in 1971. Helped build the ElectWrek electric car that we entered in the 1970 Clean Air Car Race from MIT to CalTech. We drove the Wrek from Cambridge, MA to St. Louis and came in 3rd place in the electric category. Also was a co-op from 1967 - 1970 working for IBM which had the contract with NASA to build the Instrument Unit for the Saturn V rockets in the Apollo lunar space program. The book written about 100 years of the GT Co-op program had a write-up about my work at IBM.

My favorite Tech football game when I was at Tech was probably beating Tennessee 6-3 my freshman year. It was Bobby Dodd's last year coaching and Tech went 9-0 before losing to Georgia and then Florida in the Orange Bowl to finish 9-2. Back then, freshmen played on separate teams, never on the varsity, and I knew several of the players who were in Cloudman dorm with me. My most memorable play, and this would need to be verified, was a freshman punter's kick. The line of scrimmage was Tech's own 13 and the guy kicked a tremendous spiral which landed and bounded forward several times before settling about 2 yards into the oppostie end zone. An 87 yard punt, still to this day the longest punt I've ever seen or heard of. I swear I remember this correctly, but if someone has the records from the freshman football team that year and can verify what I remember, I'd be interested to know if I really do remember it correctly.

My favorite basketball game was beating UNC during the Christmas break one year when UNC was ranked #2 in the country. Whack Hyder was the coach then.
I've lived in South Florida since 1972 and in Coral Gables since 1985. My career was mostly in Telecommunications and now I'm a commercial real estate agent and investor working in South and Central Florida. Go Tech!
Welcome aboard!

Dug

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey!

Just found out this forum existed. CS grad ('17) working up near Smyrna now. Originally from New Orleans!

Favorite Tech sports memory was probably "The miracle on techwood" but I'm looking forward to experiencing many more as an alum.

Favorite basketball game was probably our *** whooping of Florida St in '17. Or the buzzer-beater layup vs ND the same year.

Anyway, THWg and **** clemson too

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hey!

Just found out this forum existed. CS grad ('17) working up near Smyrna now. Originally from New Orleans!

Favorite Tech sports memory was probably "The miracle on techwood" but I'm looking forward to experiencing many more as an alum.

Favorite basketball game was probably our *** whooping of Florida St in '17. Or the buzzer-beater layup vs ND the same year.

Welcome aboard. Best GT Forum around.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Thank you! I'm psyched to have found this place. Been missing talking GT sports ever since I graduated.
If you get a chance, go back and look at some of the older links in forums. You will get a good background of how the triple option and spread option works. sSome defense information etcetera, some really good informative posts in the past.

Dug

Georgia Tech Fan
If you get a chance, go back and look at some of the older links in forums. You will get a good background of how the triple option and spread option works. sSome defense information etcetera, some really good informative posts in the past.
Appreciate the suggestion! Gotta make up for not following the team before 2013 somehow :p

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hey!

Welcome aboard!

Jimd99

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm from Rome, GA and Class of '67. I spent 30+ years with IBM (Atlanta then Columbus GA, Endicott NY, Charleston WV, Charlottesville VA, Winston-Salem NC), retired then ran a tech startup subsidiary of Wachovia for 4 1/2 years in Winston-Salem, retired again moved to Mt. Pleasant SC in late 2003, rode my Harley/went to the beach/played pool in APA league and started my 3rd career in commercial real estate in 2007. Yes, I know, great timing.

A friend recently introduced me to this forum and it is a breath of fresh air! I began attending Tech games when I was about 6, even though most of my friends/relatives were misguided "dawgs". One game I will always remember was my freshman year, '62 Tech-Bama, a 7-6 win. Two years later was ugly though, but I still have the white golf cap (with a red "beanie") that I "borrowed" from a Bama fan's head.

I like the forum rules no disparaging players/coaches/etc. While I was disappointed this year, no one deserves to be maligned online, and since I'm not out there playing or coaching I need to temper my "know it all" perspective. Honest, blunt but constructive criticism is helpful for all things in life. I appreciate the insight from multiple perspectives and find the discussions interesting and helpful. It's also a welcome relief from the flame-throwing junk of social media from folks like my rabid, misguided "dawg" cousin :)

Thanks for the opportunity to participate and I look forward to being educated regularly!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm from Rome, GA and Class of '67. I spent 30+ years with IBM (Atlanta then Columbus GA, Endicott NY, Charleston WV, Charlottesville VA, Winston-Salem NC), retired then ran a tech startup subsidiary of Wachovia for 4 1/2 years in Winston-Salem, retired again moved to Mt. Pleasant SC in late 2003, rode my Harley/went to the beach/played pool in APA league and started my 3rd career in commercial real estate in 2007. Yes, I know, great timing.

A friend recently introduced me to this forum and it is a breath of fresh air! I began attending Tech games when I was about 6, even though most of my friends/relatives were misguided "dawgs". One game I will always remember was my freshman year, '62 Tech-Bama, a 7-6 win. Two years later was ugly though, but I still have the white golf cap (with a red "beanie") that I "borrowed" from a Bama fan's head.

I like the forum rules no disparaging players/coaches/etc. While I was disappointed this year, no one deserves to be maligned online, and since I'm not out there playing or coaching I need to temper my "know it all" perspective. Honest, blunt but constructive criticism is helpful for all things in life. I appreciate the insight from multiple perspectives and find the discussions interesting and helpful. It's also a welcome relief from the flame-throwing junk of social media from folks like my rabid, misguided "dawg" cousin :)

Thanks for the opportunity to participate and I look forward to being educated regularly!
Welcome Welcome. My in-laws currently live in Rome.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Welcome aboard!

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech fan all my life and a Clayton State graduate. Favorite Tech football players include Robert Lavette, Pat Swilling, Joe Hamilton, Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, Harrison Butker, and Justin Thomas . Basketball - Mark Price, Kenny Anderson, and Matt Harpring. Coaches - Ralph Friedgen and Bobby Cremins. Love seeing the passion and ideas on this site from fans that care!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tech fan all my life and a Clayton State graduate. Favorite Tech football players include Robert Lavette, Pat Swilling, Joe Hamilton, Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, Harrison Butker, and Justin Thomas . Basketball - Mark Price, Kenny Anderson, and Matt Harpring. Coaches - Ralph Friedgen and Bobby Cremins. Love seeing the passion and ideas on this site from fans that care!
Welcome aboard.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Welcome aboard [emoji322]

bbilland

Georgia Tech Fan
I live near Gettysburg PA and am the proud father of a first year AE Tech student. My wife and I have since become big Tech fans and have watched on TV or listened to every football and basketball game this year. I joined this site because it looks like a really good place to follow recruiting and learn more about the current players and some of the history of Tech sports.