Introduce yourself

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
BEE 1985 - became GT fan in 1982 when I started attending Tech. Unfortunately, grew up a Mutt fan, but my perspective quickly changed after starting at Tech. I always had disliked (probably hated is closer) Bammer, and now I hated the Gaggers just as much or more. I grew up in rural NW GA near Rome.

I was more of a BB fan first because of the beginning of the Cremins era and the Mark Price/John Salley group. I enjoyed the exciting times at the thrillerdome in 1984 and 85. While I was on campus, we went to the FB games to throw frisbees at the band members. (sorry band members) Really started watching GT football as a rabid fan in 1990, and I have been one ever since.

I like to believe that I am a reasonable fan who understands the limitations to our FB program. I did review the history of GT football after I became a fan, and to me it is clear that until the late sixties and early seventies, our ability to recruit and compete were NO where near as hindered as they are today. Also, although I am a big supporter of PJ, I have come to realize that his offense has become an added negative to our recruiting success or lack thereof, both on the D and O sides of the ball. It is going to take some alignment of stars (and some very, very difficult work) to see GT compete for a MNC in my lifetime again. I don't say it is impossible, but very improbable in the "NFL-centered" thinking of today's top recruits.

Last edited:

gtce79

Georgia Tech Fan
I am glad that Stonewall put me onto this site. I am glad to be among my familiars from the old forum that is currently hosed up and has been since before the UGA game. The crowd was getting kinda sparse. It feels good to be among the usuals and the new!

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I am glad that Stonewall put me onto this site. I am glad to be among my familiars from the old forum that is currently hosed up and has been since before the UGA game. The crowd was getting kinda sparse. It feels good to be among the usuals and the new!

hey buddy! glad you made it.

stpetewreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello hello.

I live in Marietta. I've been a fan of GT since high school (when you chose UGA or GT). All my friends went to Tech...sadly I did not. Quite emotionally invested in the team...so at times not being an alumnus makes me feel like a bit of a masochist.

I've followed the other boards for years now. This seems to be the place I'd fit in the most. I'm a positive guy...

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Hi! I just found out about this board a couple of weeks ago and decided to sign up. I like to follow recruiting and this seems to have the most info of all the other forums.

A little about myself:
I grew up in Lilburn, pretty much having my family as the only people that I knew that were Tech graduates and fans. My hate for the dwags grew as I started high school, as I was ridiculed at every turn for being a Tech fan. I had to take the long road to get into Tech, starting college at Young Harris in North Georgia then transferring to Clemson and then finally getting into Tech after 3 years of college. I graduated with a degree in AE in 2009 and discovered that there wasn't crap for jobs, so I widened my horizons to all engineering fields. I managed to find a job as an IE in Anchorage, Alaska and have lived here since then. We love it here and are in no hurry to leave! I have been able to get to at least one game a year since I left, and until this year, we won them all (ugh... ugag). Oh and to top it off, I married a dwag...

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hello all. Looking forward to talking some GT athletics with everyone!

About me:
  • 2001 BC
  • GT grad wife (2001 ARCH) and I live in Decatur (obviously)
  • HATE all things bulldogs
  • I don't believe in the CPJ hate

Omahajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello All,

My name is Will. I reside in Omaha, Nebraska and have been what I consider to be a big Tech fan since the 03/04 basketball season (and because I can not stand Husker "fans"). I was in 6th grade and saw them on TV a few times in the regular season, enjoyed watching JJ and BJ Elder play, and picked them to win it all in March of 04. Since then I have followed the athletic program and cheered. As far as occupation, I am a year away from an Accounting degree and will hopefully be a CPA in two years. I am looking forward to gtswarm to keep me in the loop of GT athletics. THWG!!!!

MountainJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey Everybody!

Civil 2012. Raised with a mom and grandparents that were huge tech supporters. We won't discuss my father's side's allegiances. THWG.

Grew up in small town, GA, so I've been berated by UGA fans my whole life, thus fueling my hate for them. Love everything GT. Even been to a few tennis matches. Went to probably 90% of the basketball games through college and played in the band, so I was at every football game.

GO JACKETS TILL I DIE!

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Hey Everybody!

Civil 2012. Raised with a mom and grandparents that were huge tech supporters. We won't discuss my father's side's allegiances. THWG.

Grew up in small town, GA, so I've been berated by UGA fans my whole life, thus fueling my hate for them. Love everything GT. Even been to a few tennis matches. Went to probably 90% of the basketball games through college and played in the band, so I was at every football game.

GO JACKETS TILL I DIE!
Good to have you in the swarm!

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
connell62: Lethal Weapon 3 has been the best and most exciting basketball team at Tech. Three players averaging 20 points per game and they all played as a team. Brian Oliver not only could shoot, but he was pretty good on the boards and defense for a guard. However, the best College player we have had at Tech was Rich Yunkus 1969-1971. He is the all time leader in points per game, and I believe that was before the three pointer. He could hit from outside as well as inside.

Essobee: I well remember the 6-0 game we lost to Tennessee. It was played at Grant Field and both teams were undefeated (7-0?). Wade Mitchell and Paul Rotenberry ran together attempting to intercept the pass. The Tennesee player caught the pass for the only score. Both had a chance at it, and both were excellent defenders. Reminds me of the Auburn/Georgia game this year. I also remember us winning eight straight games from UGA during Dodd's early years as coach.

decaturjacket: I am not a CPJ hater. In fact, I don't hate anyone, but I do not think PJ is the answer at Tech. Neither do I think the present option system is the answer for Tech. However, I want the team to win regardless of who is coaching.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Hey Rodney take Yunkus and raise you a Roger Kaiser...both good and yes got beat by one pass in 56....went to a bowl..finished in top ten in country and in57.....the Hill wanted to water down the program......makes you wonder!

GTCHAS

Georgia Tech Fan
Pleasure to join the board and read all the interesting messages throughout the board. I have been a lifelong Jackets fan. When growing up my granfather used to take me to a lot of GT games (lived in Columbus GA), that is how i got hooked. He also took me to Detroit Lions games and to this day I am still a fan. Anyway ended up going to Tech for my EE and moved here to Charleston SC where I ended up getting an MBA from CSU. This seems to be a great site and look forwarded to the discussions.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Mack: No doubt about it, Roger Kaiser was the real deal. Mark Price was also outstanding in his play and leadership. It would be extremely hard to really name a number 1 player out of the top players at Tech. Each had his own particular style of play. I remember Yunkus was almost unstoppable in scoring, however, he drifted outside a lot. He was effective on the inside in College when he would stay inside, but he could not play with the big boys in the pros on the inside. There was one group of players who played together as a team and beat the mighty group of Rupp's Kentucky team twice in the same year (I think/memory getting bad). That was a good team for that period of time.

I agree, it seems to me the State Board of College Administrators have always wanted to give UGA the advantage in recruiting by limiting Tech's studies and boosting the easier studies for UGA. There is no doubt this inequality exists. I think you and I have the same idea about this situation.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
decaturjacket: I am not a CPJ hater. In fact, I don't hate anyone, but I do not think PJ is the answer at Tech. Neither do I think the present option system is the answer for Tech. However, I want the team to win regardless of who is coaching.

Hate was probably too strong of a word. I probably should have phrased it "I have faith in CPJ." Please do not construe this as being intolerant of criticism of our coach. There are certainly some areas where I feel he needs to improve. However, as much as people point out that he is unwilling to change, in the past couple of years, he has hired a ST coach, implemented shotgun & diamond formations, and added shorter routes to the passing game. I think he is making the improvements to field a more successful team. I hope he implements a hurry-up mode that we could switch on when it looks like we have the other team on its heels. Even if it is calling the same play for 3 plays in a row... that is the reason we run the 3O. We can dive, pitch, or keep on every play, so why not just tell Vad to run the 3O to the wide (or short) side of the field until it gets stopped?

I do feel that CPJ has the challenge of meeting more stringent requirements than his predecessors. First of all being the Hill. I wrote a recommendation for a local kid out of Kennessaw this past spring. He grew up a Tech fan, a legacy, had a 4.0 GPA, played HS baseball, other egxtra curricular activities, etc. His SAT was a little low, but he was denied admission. I heard they finally offered him admission only if he came in for summer school. If this is the new standard for Ma Tech, I would have NEVER been accepted. Granted, the scholarship SA's are not held to this standard, but it is clear the bar has been raised. He also has to deal with the graduation rate requirements, or lose scholarships. I am happy we are near the top. I wouldn't mind being middle of the pack and taking a chance on a few more guys that could help on the field, but I can't fault the coach for having to work within the system he is given.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Mack and Rodney,

We need an old timers site on the board where we can just talk about the good times and the good 'uns.

Rodney, I had a chance to visit with Roger Kaiser a decade or so ago...heck of a nice guy, btw...and asked him if he could still drain the long ones. His reply: "Yep." He said he was still shooting practice shots. Roger was our first first-team AA in basketball. He, Bobby Dews and Dave Denton, comprised the "Lethal Three" of that time period.

Wade Mitchell and I became good friends later in life, but I haven't seen him in a year or so. I didn't recall who collided with him in the game so I asked him. He said he still has bad dreams about it. Wade is another great one and the finest of gentlemen.

IIRC, we had in the neighborhood of 25 seniors graduating from the 1956 team that lost to Tennessee. I saw a number of them at one of their class reunions during the 1990s and was amazed at how so many of them had done extraordinarily well in life. Wade was one of the smartest students at Tech, proof that even the really bright ones can play great ball.

Mack, we finished 4th in the nation in 1956 after the one loss (6 - 0) to undefeated Tennessee (Johnny Majors), which finished 2nd. Oklahoma finished number one. I couldn't argue with that...Bud Wilkinson finished his career at Oklahoma with 145 wins, 29 losses, 2 ties, 3 national titles, 14 conference titles, and 47 straight wins. Awesome record.

Do you guys remember the "tear-away" jerseys? And how Adolph Rupp hated to play Tech?

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Essobee, I remember the tear-away jerseys. Those were good times when we were winning. I am a poor loser, so I really miss those times. I am now 78, and go to the church on Tuesday for study of various Bible topics that we would not want to discuss in Sunday School. One of the other guys and I decided to go to the new gym and shoot some basketballs at the goals. It had been a long time since I had played around shooting at the basket and longer since I played.

I did not understand how much my muscles had atropied from my playing days. My mind was still the same, so my first shot was just a normal push shot from outside the circle. It came within about five feet of the basket. My mind had stored the information of range and muscle activity required to hit the bottom of the net, but my muscles did not respond to the information. I was stunned. I kept shooting. Finally, my mind began to make up the difference between my atropied muscles and the range required. I began getting a little better, but not even close to my playing days. After awhile, I decided to shoot a jump shot, and was confounded because I could not jump. I told the other guy, "My gosh, I can't jump anymore". I do not regret getting old, as I understand more about life and can enjoy it better, but it is a bummer for performing athletically.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
My name is Lee Reeves, I've been a Georgia tech fan my whole life (22 years). My dad grew up in east point going to games and I was born in Atlanta and raised near Atlanta until I was 10 so my dad and I went to several games a year. When I was 10 we moved to Alabama, so I go to the University of Alabama in Huntsville, but I hope to get my masters in a few years from Georgia tech in IS or get my MBA.
My favorite game as a tech fan is probably the 08' UGA game, or the 04' game against Clemson.
I've posted on another site for a few years but it randomly shut down and I watch recruiting fairly closely so I hope this site will be just as good if not better. Go Jackets!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
GT Man here. Came from the pile of rubble that was once Jim's site. No surprise the site blew up, due to the dangerous levels of flammable butt-hurt emanating from the threads. Good to see some survivors! I'm stoked about this site!

My name's Nick and I'm a graphic designer. Just a sidewalk GT fan who didn't have a team until I started to get to know some UGA fans... then the choice was clear.

Last edited:

bigbird4120

Georgia Tech Fan
Bigbird4120 on every other messageboard except this one; guess I believed Eric was asking for my actual name in the Blank labeled 'name'. Silly of me...

Tech fan since I was six or so; had two cousins precede me [EE, '63, IM '71] which started an Orlando boy's interest in Tech. I had to go fight in the great SE Asia unpleasantness in order to afford school through the GI Bill. I remember tuition being ~$350/quarter for a full load, with my GI bill being about that much per month. I worked 40 hrs/week every quarter at Tech, and used the GI Bill money for the mortgage. Never had time to go to a single game while a student; sorry I didn't.

BSIM '77, General contractor for around thirty-five years; Semi retired now. Doer rather than watcher: Watched hockey when the Flames came to town, taught myself to skate and play. Early on, played in two games for Tech's club team before they realized I was worse than a noob. Got better, and played twenty years in the AAHL.
Saw America's Cup sailing, taught myself and my son to sail. Still do, when I'm physically able to.
Been wanting to race sports cars since track visits to Daytona and Sebring in the mid-60's. Found the National Auto Sports Association, [yes, NASA] in '07, and have been driving my prepared '91 Toyota MR2 at Road Atlanta and other tracks around the SE; wish I was twenty again so I could race longer, now that I've found what I like best.