Interesting Schedule Analysis

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
Good read! It's now very clear the scheduling in the acc has as much to do with which teams make the chamionship game as how good they are. This seems especially true in the coastal where there is alot of balance year to year. As usual we where very close to getting over the hump and just couldn't get it done.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Ken S does a really nice job in this article analyzing our schedule with quotes from CPJ. Wanted to put this in the Conference Realignment thread, but I think this is different enough to warrant its own thread

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-tech/2013/dec/10/did-crossover-games-cost-tech/
GT would have been a 10-win team in 2013 with Duke's schedule.

If we used Division Record to determine the DIVISION Champion, this would be the coastal in 2013:
1. VT (5-1)
2. GT/Duke/Miami (4-2)
5. UNC/Pitt (2-4)
7. UVA (0-6)

It should be winner of the divisional round robin. Otherwise, strength of schedule penalizes the teams that are forced to play better teams and rewards the teams that play cellar dwellers.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
With the expansion in the ACC and the SEC, you're going to see more of this. Duke was not the best team in the Coastal but they had arguably the easiest road. If you have a division like the Coastal or the SEC East where there is not much of a difference between teams 1-3, a lot of times it will be the team with the easier cross-division opponents. Think about UGA in 2011 and in 2012. Got crushed by USC last year but they had to play at LSU. Same in 2011. USC had the schedule to do it this year but they blew it at Tennessee.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT would have been a 10-win team in 2013 with Duke's schedule.

If we used Division Record to determine the DIVISION Champion, this would be the coastal in 2013:
1. VT (5-1)
2. GT/Duke/Miami (4-2)
5. UNC/Pitt (2-4)
7. UVA (0-6)

It should be winner of the divisional round robin. Otherwise, strength of schedule penalizes the teams that are forced to play better teams and rewards the teams that play cellar dwellers.
I have never really given this a lot of thought, but I agree with you. In fact, the more I think about it, I don't even think overall conference record should factor into tie breakers, until way down the list, because of the randomness of the draw.