Interesting note from practice today on the OL

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Muns have moved to tackle as well...he moved over before the Spring.
Errin Joe is at T.

Devine has been playing fine so far.

actually Devine isn't playing well enough at this point. The coaches have to be concerned where he is at. His footwork is not good nor is his quickness to get out in front and make a block. IMO he will be a back up at tackle.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
actually Devine isn't playing well enough at this point. The coaches have to be concerned where he is at. His footwork is not good nor is his quickness to get out in front and make a block. IMO he will be a back up at tackle.

Out of curiosity what do you base your statement on? Not trying to stir anything up, just curious.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

I talked to one of the offensive coaches after the scrimmage Saturday via message and he said Devine had a good week of practice FWIW.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There must be a lot of guys injured for Sewak/Johnson to make this move. I am glad to see they are trying some different things. This tells me Devine is not lighting it up. Right now it looks like we have several potential tackle candidates banged up. It would be great to know a little bit more about what the actual situation is with the offensive line. I guess we will have to wait until the Spring game to get a look.

I would guess that O'Reilly is number one at center, Mason and Braun are the number one guards and Griffin / Chamberlin and a player to be named later are currently leading at the tackle spots. Not hearing anything about Brigham, Joe or Muns. Maybe they are all injured.

Go Jackets!
Joe has been banged up and out of shape..Not pleased with his play

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
At tackle? He's been a guard, right?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The way I read this situation, and I have nothing to back this up, is that Sewak has been put under a little heat lamp after last season and the players are feeling that same heat now. Expectations are being raised and it is starting currently in spring practice. I am willing to bet we are no worse off in terms of actual performance than previous seasons, but rather, just being pushed harder and handled in a more critical fashion. Obviously, the sense of urgency has been tweaked. Personally, I don't feel a sense of panic, but instead, a sense of "Finally! Let's get after these guys". I hope I am right. Time will tell.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The way I read this situation, and I have nothing to back this up, is that Sewak has been put under a little heat lamp after last season and the players are feeling that same heat now. Expectations are being raised and it is starting currently in spring practice. I am willing to bet we are no worse off in terms of actual performance than previous seasons, but rather, just being pushed harder and handled in a more critical fashion. Obviously, the sense of urgency has been tweaked. Personally, I don't feel a sense of panic, but instead, a sense of "Finally! Let's get after these guys". I hope I am right. Time will tell.

I can't help but feel this way as well. I mean, at least we have actual OLs filling these spots. Remember the days of converted TEs, DEs, and walk-ons? Plus, I think Gary Brown and Jake Stickler have a chance to come in and make some noise in the fall.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I am not worried about the OL either. I don't think we will be drastically improved or drastically worse.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This sentence right here sums it up:

Just three of the Jackets' top eight O-linemen are back from last season, and some of the key candidates for spots are wildly inexperienced.

What did you guys expect?

This quote about "Auto Parts" is positive and helps to reinforce why the new guys are struggling right now:

Coaches may feel better about something like this because O'Reilly, who played in six games last season, is ahead of his 2013 pace. Sewak credited him for improving his body and physical status.

For his part, O'Reilly said that he has a better idea of what the hell is going on.

"Last spring they had me playing guard and come the fall we had a couple injuries and they had me move to center. I definitely feel a lot better," he said. "Last spring, I was still learning the offense and I had a tough time adjusting to it. I didn't really know what was going on, and didn't understand it."

There's a loooooong time between now and game 4 on the schedule. A long time. Barring injury, I expect to see a whole different quality OL at that point in time.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not specifically this topic regarding burden but everything i hear about our OL this spring leads me to believe it is going to be another long year on the line.

I frankly dont care what scheme you run the ol needs to play together and gel. They need to rely on the guys next to em, communicate and trust and that just hasnt happened under paul it seems. Many reasons. Many excuses too. But continuity on our line is an issue. Guys are turnstiles at positions. They go from right to left to gaurd to tackle and you get games like vt where they "know" what to do just dont do it because they are all part timers at their position. Footwork, style of play of the guy next to you, switches, tackle vs gaurd pass blocking techniques etc are tough to repetitively change on the line week over week.

Burden has been in the program for years. Now all of a sudden go to tackle? Ok. Find your best five and stick with it.

I hope of all hopes we find a first unit and stick with it until kickoff. And find it quick.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not specifically this topic regarding burden but everything i hear about our OL this spring leads me to believe it is going to be another long year on the line.

I frankly dont care what scheme you run the ol needs to play together and gel. They need to rely on the guys next to em, communicate and trust and that just hasnt happened under paul it seems. Many reasons. Many excuses too. But continuity on our line is an issue. Guys are turnstiles at positions. They go from right to left to gaurd to tackle and you get games like vt where they "know" what to do just dont do it because they are all part timers at their position. Footwork, style of play of the guy next to you, switches, tackle vs gaurd pass blocking techniques etc are tough to repetitively change on the line week over week.

Burden has been in the program for years. Now all of a sudden go to tackle? Ok. Find your best five and stick with it.

I hope of all hopes we find a first unit and stick with it until kickoff. And find it quick.
You're overreacting. Most of the guys stay at their position and are only forced to move due to injuries. Burden has not suddenly become an OT, he's cross training because that is our weakest spot on the line and we got several guys banged up right now. (Heck, he wasn't even a center in high school.) Injuries forced some experimentation and that's what you do in April. We just lost 3 starters off a 5 man unit. I honestly don't know what people expect. This isn't the NFL.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow

If we are still diving at ankles and have mile wide line splits it will be another difficult year on offense against the better teams we play. Not to mention 3 point stances on 3rd and long and asking your tackles to block athletic DE's that are coming off the edge like a sprinter. Doesn't matter who is playing where across the line. We will struggle. My hope is that they can at least stay healthy for once.