Interesting new article on Joe Anoa'i (Roman Reigns)

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I don't follow WWE rasslin at all, but I've been seeing articles talking about how the crowds just flat out reject him, solely because they feel like the company promoted him too fast over their favorites. It's crazy the way a crowd can turn on a guy so harshly like that when it really has nothing to do with him or what he's done. I hope he's able to have a long career in the ring and then become a movie star like his cousin, the Rock.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
All the rasslin' fans out there might be interested in something I ran across the other day:

http://pwhf.org/

All the greats are in there. Going all the way back to the early 1900s.

Give yourself an honorary pat on the back if you can name everyone in the top banner without looking them up ([pat, pat] I did [/pat]).

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't follow WWE rasslin at all, but I've been seeing articles talking about how the crowds just flat out reject him, solely because they feel like the company promoted him too fast over their favorites. It's crazy the way a crowd can turn on a guy so harshly like that when it really has nothing to do with him or what he's done. I hope he's able to have a long career in the ring and then become a movie star like his cousin, the Rock.
The problem is the growing discord between the front office of that organization and the fans. The McMahon's look at Joe and see dollar signs. And they should. The issue is that the fans already picked a guy they like, Daniel Bryan. (The "Yes! Yes!" guy.) In spite of the fans embrace, the front office doesnt believe Bryan can carry their company. As a result, Joe, through no fault of his own, is getting crapped on from coast to coast. At their big event, Wrestlemania, on sunday, its gonna be brutal.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The problem is the growing discord between the front office of that organization and the fans. The McMahon's look at Joe and see dollar signs. And they should. The issue is that the fans already picked a guy they like, Daniel Bryan. (The "Yes! Yes!" guy.) In spite of the fans embrace, the front office doesnt believe Bryan can carry their company. As a result, Joe, through no fault of his own, is getting crapped on from coast to coast. At their big event, Wrestlemania, on sunday, its gonna be brutal.

Thanks for expanding on this issue. As a non-wrasslin' fan, I had no idea what to make of the apparent dislike of our guy.

Hope they come up with something to turn the tide back in his favor. Make the other dude a Taliban or something. Eh, that worked in the '80's with Sgt. Slaughter and all them back when I actually was interested in this whole deal.

I can't believe we're even discussing this as if it's a real issue or something.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for expanding on this issue. As a non-wrasslin' fan, I had no idea what to make of the apparent dislike of our guy.

Hope they come up with something to turn the tide back in his favor. Make the other dude a Taliban or something. Eh, that worked in the '80's with Sgt. Slaughter and all them back when I actually was interested in this whole deal.

I can't believe we're even discussing this as if it's a real issue or something.
LOL. The problem is that now there's a segment of WWE fans who will reject anything they deem as "corporate." They want who they want. The company wants to put Joe on lunch boxes, tshirts, etc, and that segment of fans rejects him solely on that. Pitting Reigns against the Taliban would just make "Afghani Abe" a star at this point...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think part of the problem is the name. Roman Reigns just doesn't have a good ring to it, at least in my opinion. I would have thought playing up the Samoan badass angle would be better and then give him a name in that vein (or just use his real name).

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Say what you will about pro wrestling, but urban black kids love it. There will be days in the next five years where "Roman Reigns went here" may have a discernible effect in recruiting some kids...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is pro rasslin'. Which means it is his turn to be the bad guy. Next week ...

Prosushi

Georgia Tech Fan
Say what you will about pro wrestling, but urban black kids love it. There will be days in the next five years where "Roman Reigns went here" may have a discernible effect in recruiting some kids...
I teach high school, and the convo about my attending GT always comes up. We talk about football and basketball, and i always tell the story that a PG from our high school beat Thaddeus Young for Mr. Basketball in our state. My students always ask about other now pro athletes that went to GT while i was there. Within the last year, speaking about Roman Reigns gets as much "wow" factor as Calvin.