Interesting NCAA stats, updated for 10/1

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
One reason why I said in an earlier post that I thought we would have won at USF and Pitt with Ted's D. I also pointed out that we would probably have lost some games with it too. I like the new direction and I think it will pay off. When the p[layers figure it out, that it.

Right, lets take the Bowling Green game last weekend. BG gets a 3rd down conversion at their 30-35. They get another 3rd down conversion at their 45-50, then we hold and they punt. That's a 2/3rds conversion rate without ever accomplishing a dang thing. The stats that matter most are all of the, taken as a whole. In any given game or group of games these numbers could go up or down, but its winning that matters and points per possession that you give up is probably most important.

Opponents points per possession is probably the best indicator. Third down D % is usually pretty good, but not infallible. My greater point is that the fanbase tends to cherry pick a stat and judge the entirety of the D based on that stat. Two years ago a large proportion of the poters here sore that if we could just get off the field more on 3rd down, our D would be fine and the Offense could carry the day. Last year we did great on third down, and got off the field a lot, only for our offense to give it right back. Then the fanbase started griping about the 2 minute defense. Ultimately, I'd rather us stick to OPPP or the S&P/DFEI as I feel it's the best overall indicators out there.

What are those stats when you adjust for Alcorn St? I guess you leave BG in there because they're technically FCS but if you take out the cupcake blowouts, we're averaging 26 PPG.

Other than the slow start at Pitt and our 8 fumbles against Clemson, our offense is moving the ball. I think what CPJ has decided is to simplify his offense. Run 4-5 plays and run them well. Against BG all we saw was Triple Option, Counter Option, B give, and rocket toss. With a few direct pass plays. If you execute those plays you drive down the field. Back when we ran the Veer and Wishbone there really were only about 4-5 plays. The only thing I wish we could add is the smoke pass and some kind of quick slant. Offense has never been our issue with CPJ.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Other than the slow start at Pitt and our 8 fumbles against Clemson, our offense is moving the ball. I think what CPJ has decided is to simplify his offense. Run 4-5 plays and run them well. Against BG all we saw was Triple Option, Counter Option, B give, and rocket toss. With a few direct pass plays. If you execute those plays you drive down the field. Back when we ran the Veer and Wishbone there really were only about 4-5 plays. The only thing I wish we could add is the smoke pass and some kind of quick slant. Offense has never been our issue with CPJ.
Offense may have never been the issue, but the most important issue with any team is #of wins. We're certainly lacking there.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Interestingly enough, we were 12th in the nation last year in Third Down defense. I'm pretty sure this isn't a conclusive indicator of how good a defense is, as even being in the top 20 in a stat everyone on these boards said was crucial wasn't enough to keep the pitchforks out of the hands of our fanbase concerning Ted Roof.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

We were really bad at allowing teams to drive down the field without even facing 3rd down though

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Red zone offense is surprisingly bad.
Passing yeah ... whatever.
Rushing yeah... whatever.

3rd down conversion is surprising.
Know the woes on defense & st.

slugboy

Staff member
Does a kickoff return for touchdown count as a possession?

It looks like the answer is “no”.

There are official rules for calculating stats: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Football/2011ez.pdf. It’s not super clear what counts as a possession, but I think it’s anything from the line of scrimmage, unless the ref says “no play occurred”.

I’m sure there’s a bigger doc somewhere

Kickoff returns, punt returns, fumble returns, and interception returns are “transition time”. Possessions start from your own line of scrimmage, and time of possession is time from the first snap (basically) until you score or give up the ball or time expires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk