Interesting Graphic On GT and College Fanbases

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don’t doubt what you say. We each have our anecdotal observations. Mine is that I see Notre Dame fans everywhere, even in other countries, whereas in some states I have spent time in I have never seen an Alabama shirt or jersey. Massachusetts, Colorado and Utah would be three examples. Point is I am sure if you looked hard enough you could find Alabama fans everywhere. But having to look hard proves the point. It’s not the same saturation level that you see in other states for Ohio State and Notre Dame.
ND is everywhere. In SD, a man in the hotel lobby had a ND hat.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Atlanta is what? 10th biggest metro in the United States? If and when Tech ever starts winning again, the hometown Metro Atlanta will back Tech up in a huge way and instantly increase the Tech fanbase
Literally this has not happened. Ever. Atlanta wasn't behind us in 1990, nor after any good period of GT football. Sidewalk fans is a mirage. Have heard this aspiration for over 30 years and we're still waiting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Atlanta is what? 10th biggest metro in the United States? If and when Tech ever starts winning again, the hometown Metro Atlanta will back Tech up in a huge way and instantly increase the Tech fanbase
Unfortunately i'm not so sure I agree with this.
Atlanta is such a transient city, that there isn't a strong connection to a local team like in many cities.
GT has only something like the 9th largest alumni base in Atlanta. Heck, I believe Ohio St has more alums in Atlanta than GT does. So people in this city already have strong attachments to other teams.

Winning will certainly improve the size of the fanbase, but the transient nature of the city makes it much more difficult for GT to grow its fanbase locally.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The sidewalk draw would be greatly improved by a few things:

1) Reach out to Emory and Agness Scott students and work a deal to get them “student prices” for tickets.

2) Rebuild the upper stands into a beer garden/standing room only section and highlight the view across BDS with the skyline beyond.

3) Continue to cross market with Atl Utd (and start with Rugby ATL). We have a shot there as our students are international and could be a pipeline for their fans too. Maybe the only pro-level sports in Atl where we have a better profile than uga(ly) for that.

4) Win. More. Games.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow

1) Reach out to Emory and Agness Scott students and work a deal to get them “student prices” for tickets.

2) Rebuild the upper stands into a beer garden/standing room only section and highlight the view across BDS with the skyline beyond.

3) Continue to cross market with Atl Utd (and start with Rugby ATL). We have a shot there as our students are international and could be a pipeline for their fans too. Maybe the only pro-level sports in Atl where we have a better profile than uga(ly) for that.

4) Win. More. Games.
Along with #3, you could have this run by a local brewery and open it up on non-football weekends from Thursday through Sunday.

$5 or so to get in and then let the brewery sell whatever they want. GT gets cash, brewery gets an amazing location, and then we also have an awesome place for fans during the game or pre-game tailgates.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

4) Win. More. Games.
I come from a family of at least four generations of Emory alumni. It used to just be a given that we would support Tech given it was the only D1 program around in which the athletes had to actually be students. That connection needs to be massaged.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I come from a family of at least four generations of Emory alumni. It used to just be a given that we would support Tech given it was the only D1 program around in which the athletes had to actually be students. That connection needs to be massaged.
Agreed - my dad went to a small private college in Illinois without a FB Team, but did law school at Emory and similarly adopted the Jackets for College sports. It is a natural fit IMO and makes sense given our shared sensibilities in student profile / shared programs (classes and library access).

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Along with #3, you could have this run by a local brewery and open it up on non-football weekends from Thursday through Sunday.

$5 or so to get in and then let the brewery sell whatever they want. GT gets cash, brewery gets an amazing location, and then we also have an awesome place for fans during the game or pre-game tailgates.
Love that idea! An on campus beer garden during the week would be a $maker

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
My wife went there when I was at GT and I had friends from HS who were there Back then the average Emory student couldn’t care less about NCAA fb or GT. I highly doubt that’s different today

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My wife went there when I was at GT and I had friends from HS who were there Back then the average Emory student couldn’t care less about NCAA fb or GT. I highly doubt that’s different today
Depends. If you grew up in Atlanta and remembered when the only professional team was the crackers then Tech was the team you followed except for track, wrestling, swimming and sports like that.

I’m admitting the connection has faded but with all the cooperation between the two schools in research and degree programs it would be fun to re-cultivate that. I’m also old enough to remember when the Atlanta Chiefs left Atlanta and everyone said, “That’s it, soccer will never catch on in this town.”

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends. If you grew up in Atlanta and remembered when the only professional team was the crackers then Tech was the team you followed except for track, wrestling, swimming and sports like that.

I’m admitting the connection has faded but with all the cooperation between the two schools in research and degree programs it would be fun to re-cultivate that. I’m also old enough to remember when the Atlanta Chiefs left Atlanta and everyone said, “That’s it, soccer will never catch on in this town.”
Oldest daughter just graduated from Duke. Other than MBB they don’t care about sports. Emory is like Duke without MBB.