Interesting Graphic On GT and College Fanbases

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That is a great presentation,
I would say that GT falls squarely in the Stanford & Cal box that they talk about in terms of slide 25.
The slide on pg 6 basically says there are 6 ACC schools (GT being one of them) that have larger fanbases than would be expected based on both the number of undergrads at the school - though other slides show that even with that GT has a small fanbase by P5 standards (#40 in FBS).

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
That is a great presentation,
I would say that GT falls squarely in the Stanford & Cal box that they talk about in terms of slide 25.
The slide on pg 6 basically says there are 6 ACC schools (GT being one of them) that have larger fanbases than would be expected based on both the number of undergrads at the school - though other slides show that even with that GT has a small fanbase by P5 standards (#40 in FBS).
Miami higher than FSU?
I think the presentation is interesting and is directionally correct as long as you don't look too closely at the absolute rankings. I was curious about their methodology, so I looked into their data sources. Turns out that the rankings are not much more than educated guesses with various adjustments thrown in the mix. A lot of data, nicely presented, but not necessarily accurate. It's a tough ask to get precise data on fanbase size.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If the data is remotely correct it is easy to see why the SEC wanted Texas and Oklahoma so badly. Exponentially increases the SEC fan base.

Data would also explain why the ACC’s fondest fantasy would be to get Notre Dame and Penn State to join as a package deal. The ACC would suddenly have enough “eyes” on their conference to compete with other conferences for TV deals.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I also found some of the figures fuzzy. This made me doubt the particular ratings for colleges. Oth, I don't doubt the gross findings, if expressed as ranks instead of particular estimates. The SEC is first and so on.

Btw, I hated the graphs. The main problem is their use of color. Some times the colors makes sense, but even then they are way too contrasty for my taste. But … enough crabbing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These stats are not limited to fannies in the stands. Most of this study would be eyes on the television. Don't be fooled about Miami's draw around the country.
I agree, the presentation is looking at, to the best of its ability, fan size based on eyeballs. Not fansize based on number of fans in the stands. Those are 2 related, yet quite different metrics.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree, the presentation is looking at, to the best of its ability, fan size based on eyeballs. Not fansize based on number of fans in the stands. Those are 2 related, yet quite different metrics.
I think this is correct. Ohio State, Notre Dame have national followings whereas Alabama is much more regional. Miami may still benefit from having been a nationally popular team back in the day. Not bad for a small private school. 😊

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Go to any northern big city and tell me how many Bama flags you see and compare to going to big southern cities and see how many Ohio state or Notre dame flags you see. Glaring difference. Nobody from up north cares about any of the southern schools and very few people transplant up there. So, yes Bama, UGA, etc are regional.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I live in Chicago and see it all over the place. One of my son’s teammates has a sister that will be a freshman at Alabama next year. She knew about Alabama because of their football team.

I travel almost every week across the country, I’ve seen Alabama hats and t-shorts in Arizona, Portland, Oklahoma City. I’m in Watertown, South Dakota right now and there was a woman wearing an Alabama shirt at the Subway where I got lunch today.

I only see uga in Georgia or South Carolina. Nothing empirical, just observational.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I live in Chicago and see it all over the place. One of my son’s teammates has a sister that will be a freshman at Alabama next year. She knew about Alabama because of their football team.

I travel almost every week across the country, I’ve seen Alabama hats and t-shorts in Arizona, Portland, Oklahoma City. I’m in Watertown, South Dakota right now and there was a woman wearing an Alabama shirt at the Subway where I got lunch today.

I only see uga in Georgia or South Carolina. Nothing empirical, just observational.
I don’t doubt what you say. We each have our anecdotal observations. Mine is that I see Notre Dame fans everywhere, even in other countries, whereas in some states I have spent time in I have never seen an Alabama shirt or jersey. Massachusetts, Colorado and Utah would be three examples. Point is I am sure if you looked hard enough you could find Alabama fans everywhere. But having to look hard proves the point. It’s not the same saturation level that you see in other states for Ohio State and Notre Dame.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Do the circles show the following.
Texas AM has 3 times the number of living graduates as Gt.
On average fheir graduates give at 3 times the rate as gt..
They have giant stadium which is always full of STANDING AND CHEERING FANS.
Fans in the stands means money in the program.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don’t doubt what you say. We each have our anecdotal observations. Mine is that I see Notre Dame fans everywhere, even in other countries, whereas in some states I have spent time in I have never seen an Alabama shirt or jersey. Massachusetts, Colorado and Utah would be three examples. Point is I am sure if you looked hard enough you could find Alabama fans everywhere. But having to look hard proves the point. It’s not the same saturation level that you see in other states for Ohio State and Notre Dame.
I think John McKay put it best after USC lost to ND 51 - 0:

"I told my team it doesn't matter. There are 750 million people in China who don't even know this game was played. The next day, a guy called me from China and asked, 'What happened, Coach?'"