Injury update

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You cannot participate in any game and maintain RS status. A "redshirt" is actually granted at the end of the year, not the beginning. If a player has a debilitating injury or illness in the first half of the year, did not participate in more than 2 contests or 20% of the season, they are eligible to apply for a hardship waver to gain an extra year.

This. It's more 20% than the number of games. So, they can be generous in granting the waiver, see Golden who received his waiver though injured during the third game.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Eric, in another AJC article Ken says that PJ says that Chungong has overtaken Freemen for first string DE. Do you think that Roderick has taken a big step up or has Freemen fallen off a little?
Eric mentioned in the last chat that Chungong hasn’t been very impressive so if he’s 1st string we may have some problems.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I was told the first two weeks that Chungong had been very average...I was surprised to see he was 1st string. Hopefully he has stepped up and not that Freeman has been struggling.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was also possible to have already used a redshirt year and still apply for another year if injured in a year following a red shirt year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It used to be that if you were "injured" in the first 2 or 3 games, then you could keep your redshirt. Thus a lot of teams would have lots of mysterious injuries, like severe hangnails, to many of their players after the 3rd game. Not sure if it still works that way.

I think they did away with that totally. I rember that rule from late 90s

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I thought it was also possible to have already used a redshirt year and still apply for another year if injured in a year following a red shirt year.

Yes, I think that is corect. You sometimes hear of guys getting a medical redshirt in addition to the regular RS allowing them to be in school for 6 years.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
And from the article it seems like he's already got a full time job lined up and everything. He might just want one more shot and then ride off into the sunset.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought he did not play much the year he started in the VT game due to a shoulder injury. I guess he played more than I thought.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If a student-athlete misses a season due to a debilitating injury or illness in the first half of the season and has played in less than 20% of the season, he is eligible to apply for a hardship waiver. How I've always heard it said is that a 6th-year medical-redshirt is usually granted to a student-athlete that was hurt if the original RS was not used for development, but for injury. In other words, the review board that grants the medical redshirt is much more likely to grant the 6th year if the original RS year was because of injury not to get bigger/stronger/faster. Isaiah lost 2 years due to injury and got the 6th year waiver.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If a student-athlete misses a season due to a debilitating injury or illness in the first half of the season and has played in less than 20% of the season, he is eligible to apply for a hardship waiver. How I've always heard it said is that a 6th-year medical-redshirt is usually granted to a student-athlete that was hurt if the original RS was not used for development, but for injury. In other words, the review board that grants the medical redshirt is much more likely to grant the 6th year if the original RS year was because of injury not to get bigger/stronger/faster. Isaiah lost 2 years due to injury and got the 6th year waiver.
thnx!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Actually Isaiah was recruited in the 2010 class and played 2010, 2011, 2012, injured and RS in 2013, and now plans to play in 2014...5 years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually Isaiah was recruited in the 2010 class and played 2010, 2011, 2012, injured and RS in 2013, and now plans to play in 2014...5 years.
You're right. My bad using Isaiah as an example. He got hurt right before the Bowl game and we all thought he'd be better by the start of last year. He wasn't so he took a RS year. That's why I was thinking there was a second year If he were to get hurt again this year, he could apply and would probably be granted a 6th year. There are other examples, but that's really unimportant to the point I was making. Thanks for pointing it out though.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if it was this thread or another thread where Jamal Golden was referenced. Jamal started 3 games last year. By rule, he's not eligible for a RS last year because he played in 3 games (rule states no more than 2 games or 20% of the season). The NCAA granted Jamal a medical-hardship waiver for last year, allowing it to be a redshirt year, thus preserving his final two years of eligibility. Had he been injured after only two games, he would have used a normal redshirt. Jamal was granted a medical redshirt even though he never used his original redshirt. This is unusual. Normally, a S-A does not apply for a medical-hardship waiver until he has exhausted all of his eligibility.