Initial Impressions

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I suggested they erect a few cooling off stations around the stadium that spray cold water on you. Maybe sell bags on ice that dont melt quickly for cheap to throw on the back of your neck to lower your body temp some. Or maybe we need a retractable roof like the falcons are getting. Lol

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the reply Bruce. I agree with your logic about the patronizing sympathy. I would only think that games with essentially no economic broadcast value could be moved since that would be a patronizing sympathy gesture. Any idea how many people were estimated to have watched the GT Woffard game?

If I had gone, we would have moved into the shade as many did.

I believe that you should be able to bring frozen water in (unless they consider that a weapon). Find out by trying; if you don't try you won't know :sneaky:

What I have found best for the heat is a looser hat and a bandanna around my neck which is wetted. Works wonders at keeping the head temperature lower.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When the ACC signed the most recent contract with ESPN it gave the network the right to set time slots for all ACC games, even the ones not shown on TV (on ESPN3). The reason for this is the contract allowed local affiliates and Fox to carry the games and ESPN did not want Fox to run that game in a different time slot, thereby competing with ESPN for ACC audience.

We like the money, so we have to accept the toll it demands. I would try the frozen water in a soft insulated bag. Sounds like a great idea.

Animal02

Banned
When the ACC signed the most recent contract with ESPN it gave the network the right to set time slots for all ACC games, even the ones not shown on TV (on ESPN3). The reason for this is the contract allowed local affiliates and Fox to carry the games and ESPN did not want Fox to run that game in a different time slot, thereby competing with ESPN for ACC audience.

We like the money, so we have to accept the toll it demands. I would try the frozen water in a soft insulated bag. Sounds like a great idea.
As I have said in the past......ESPN is ruining college football. It will take a joint effort by the super 5 to push back against ESPN.......but that will only happen if enough money outside of TV contracts starts disappearing from enough schools

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
As I have said in the past......ESPN is ruining college football. It will take a joint effort by the super 5 to push back against ESPN.......but that will only happen if enough money outside of TV contracts starts disappearing from enough schools
The thing that bothers me the most about ESPN is they are so pro SEC if you watch college football live they spend half the show on the SEC. You can't tell me that does not influence recruits when all they hear is How much better the SEC is than everyone else.I agree the SEC is the best football conference but it is not as drastic a difference as ESPN leads everyone to believe. Also is Nick Saban employed by ESPN because his face is on ESPN more than Kirk Herbstreit.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Then I suppose I am just disagreeing with the logic that complaints will have any impact at all in the short term or long term specifically with regard to start times. You are free to be an idealist about popular local protest causing systemic changes. I don't think the economics of college football or the power to make such decisions is lodged in any place or manner such that complaints to schools AA's can result in making a change to noon starts in the south in August and September.

In my opinion (from years of dealing with customers in many types of business which comes with being a billionaire CEO) idle complaints are at best responded to with attempts at patronizing sympathy because one wants to agree with your customer as much as possible and certainly wants to "seem to care" but they ultimately go in one ear and out the other if they are wholly disengaged from the reality and structure of the business in its necessary operation.
This is true. Instead of complaining to the networks, let's add a clause to the contract that allows schools to require at least 10 network executives of a certain level or higher to attend a given game. Sit em in the north end zone so that the swarm, the frats, and the band can show our appreciation for the revenue that the TV contracts bring. The band lost a few RATS to the heat last week. It was ugly.

Sure, it might not help with the heat, but I find economic calculi like those much more convincing when the noneconomic pain is felt on both sides of the deal. Ever see a man beaten with a sousaphone? It ain't pretty.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
really like the speed and ability of Justin Thomas , glad he transferred to GT. Broderick too, another one, loving that speed. DeAndre is another top draft pick.

I knew this opponent was not going to be easy nor will be that school from Statesboro.

Having said that, take a look at the 2008 schedule for example how you never know. Most will agree, we had some great players on that team and beat both Miami and FSU at home as well as UGA and Clemson on the road. But yet, almost lost to Gardner Webb in midseason 10-7 with a missed fg toward end of game by GW.

GT air game with Calvin Booker to Jon Dwyer plus you had Michael Johnson and Derrick Morgan on defense.

Declinometer

Banned
really like the speed and ability of Justin Thomas , glad he transferred to GT. Broderick too, another one, loving that speed. DeAndre is another top draft pick.

I knew this opponent was not going to be easy nor will be that school from Statesboro.

Having said that, take a look at the 2008 schedule for example how you never know. Most will agree, we had some great players on that team and beat both Miami and FSU at home as well as UGA and Clemson on the road. But yet, almost lost to Gardner Webb in midseason 10-7 with a missed fg toward end of game by GW.

GT air game with Calvin Booker to Jon Dwyer plus you had Michael Johnson and Derrick Morgan on defense.

I'm glad JT transferred too! :bucktooth:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If next years opening game is another noon FCS game in blazing temperatures then i'm not sure I will attend. I love Tech football but the last two season openers have been a bit miserable. Several people in my section didn't even stay for the 2nd half in a 1 point game. Im not sure what can really be done to improve things but I hope they come up with something. The clear tote bag was a nice start but really it only saved me money, it didn't really help the problem too much.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
What I have found best for the heat is a looser hat and a bandanna around my neck which is wetted. Works wonders at keeping the head temperature lower.
Agree completely with this. We had wet hand towels. Lifesaver. Next game I will ask one of the vendors if I can dunk my towel in their ice/water. I'd pay for that. We missed the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter standing in line to wet our towels. I will bring in a partially frozen water bottle too. There are ways to beat the heat. It is not going to stop me from attending the games.

Declinometer

Banned
If people would just get a little exercise on a regular basis sitting in the heat for a few hours would not be such a big deal.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If people would just get a little exercise on a regular basis sitting in the heat for a few hours would not be such a big deal.
Sure. I run 5 days a week and play golf regularly but maybe I should make it 6 days a week and then I will easily be able to handle several hours of 95-100 degree heat with direct sunlight. Im just lazy.

Declinometer

Banned
Sure. I run 5 days a week and play golf regularly but maybe I should make it 6 days a week and then I will easily be able to handle several hours of 95-100 degree heat with direct sunlight. Im just lazy.

Can't believe you even made it out alive! Must hv been because of the regular golf thrown in.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I get from the game and peoples comments is that we all see what we want to see. If you can't stand this offense then you think Wofford is better than we are at running the option and want to take pj down a notch. If you think he is the answer then you find very little to be concerned about. This is my turn. Reality is the offense needs three games under their belt before taking on conference games . Jt is the best looking QB that I have seen under center for pj. Quick release and very very quick feet. Line is playing with first year starter at center and very young across the front. We do not have a stud at B-back . We can't make a good strong kid a great back through wishing it so. The wide outs are better as a group than any we have had under pj. Some would remind me that Bay-Bay and Hill were here together. A good point. As a whole, I think the O will be fine. The defense may be another story. We were very vanilla and Wofford is not a fun team to play. This is not Elon. On the down side , Nealy looked bad on several plays. Both Johnson and Golden show us why we should wonder if they should be watching from the sidelines . It looks like they only play flag football. Please hit someone! The DL is young and depleted . Does anyone think we are playing so many true fresh this year because we were returning so many studs on that side of the ball! In all, not upset about results or play yesterday. Not surprised by any negatives. Mostly surprised by the play of our quarterback and the next nfl receiver from tech. When you are not what you want to be on the defensive side of the ball, you stunt and do things to confuse your competition and if you are lucky you will help make up for your physical shortcomings and youth. If things don't go we'll it will be more about 2 poor recruiting classes than anything else. I love the young kids just wish did not need to burn the redshirt on so many and had better classes for those two years. This has been addressed by the aa and staff changes and hope those two classes don't kill us this year.
Here it is Wednesday, and these are still in line with my observation from Saturday. Wofford did show us things we needed to improve and things we did well. The next time we see a 4-4 defense +1 , I would expect more 1st half passing.

Declinometer

Banned
You don't even know who she is nor do you know any of the families who left because their kids couldn't take the heat. You are just a big talking nobody on a message board trying to prove to everyone how much better you are then them. Again, on behalf of everyone who was hot at the game this past weekend, we all apologize for not being up to your immaculate physical stature.
I'm just glad you survived Rambo!