Initial Impressions

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is very hard for me to be upset with the offense. Gotta keep this stuff in perspective. We put up 500 yards and we only had the ball a total of 9 times. That is pretty good regardless of who you are playing. Also we have been pleading for the ability to punish teams through the air when they overplay the run for years. When it finally happens, we all (including Bark Madley) complain that we didn't run for enough and were being out executed. Am I hearing this stuff correctly?

We have stuff to work on for sure. It is funny. I left the game today feeling pretty good about the offense and when I get home, all I read about is how horrid we were and the season is a bust. I must have watched a different game. The film will tell a lot like it always does, but at the present time, I am far from worried about the O.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Little bit of a tale of two halves, at least on O. This is all based on in stadium observations.
First half positives on O...moved the chains pretty consistently, no turnovers. First half negatives on O....lack of big plays in the run game, lack of big plays in the passing game, missed open wide receivers.
First half positives on D....didn't give up many big plays (the one we did give up was huge, think it was a busted assignment), Chungong looks to have good wheels and was active flying around. First half negatives on D...lack of much penetration at the line of scrimmage, let W move the chains.
2nd half positives on O...passing game started to click and we made big plays in the passing game. JT got in a groove and made nice passes. No turnovers. Run plays went for positive yards. 2nd half negatives on O...lack of big plays in run game (Snoddy TD may have officially been a pass but that was a run play n we all know it).
2nd half positives on D...didn't give up big plays. 2nd half negatives on D...lack of penetration by the line. Didn't make stops we needed... Death of a thousand cuts.
Special teams...kickoffs were great, kick coverage was ok, missed a very makeable FG, punt returns were pretty awful overall, ko returns were ok, blocked an xtra point (Milton amazes here), punt game looked awful.

Overall unimpressive performance by our team against a weak though well prepared opponent. I'm not overly worried but it wasn't as good as I expected. Thought the O rebounded well in 2nd half. D kept grinding just failed to make big plays. What matters from here on out is how we progress each week going forward. Go Jackets!

Gojackets55

Banned
We throw for 200 yards and it's because we can't run the ball. We run for 400 yards and it's because our passing game is terrible. You know what I noticed in years past when we dropped back to pass no matter who the competition was there would be a jail break rush. Not today I see us improving throughout the yr. esp. JT

Gojackets55

Banned
Everyone remembers the good ole days of George Oleary but I guess they don't recall the let downs we had. Boston college in 99 comes to mind. We struggled to beat UCF one year and Navy in 96

Atomic Jacket

Banned
@alaguy and @Atomic Jacket

Curious as to how they run the offense better than us?

We had 182 more yards.

and you know 19 more points.

Just don't get how you come away with they ran the offense better than us?

Go back and read. I said they ran the option better than us, not the offense. We had a passing game which led to our offensive advantage. But no one should run the option better than us. All I ask is that people read carefully before responding and making themselves just look silly.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else find it interesting Snoddy got the first carry of the season? He didn't look that comfortable on the toss to the edge. However on the long play he had, he made a nice catch on the pitch- which is great considering his hands were a question in the past.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Go back and read. I said they ran the option better than us, not the offense. We had a passing game which led to our offensive advantage. But no one should run the option better than us. All I ask is that people read carefully before responding and making themselves just look silly.

You should take your own advice. He said "the offense" implying the option offense. So what makes you think that they ran the option offense better than us?

@alaguy and @Atomic Jacket

Curious as to how they run the offense better than us?

We had 182 more yards.

and you know 19 more points.

Just don't get how you come away with they ran the offense better than us?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anyone else find it interesting Snoddy got the first carry of the season? He didn't look that comfortable on the toss to the edge. However on the long play he had, he made a nice catch on the pitch- which is great considering his hands were a question in the past.
I got a chuckle over that one when I saw it live. It just goes to show how meaningless it is to be left out of the two deep as an AB in this offense. Everyone has been asking, where is Snoddy. He is a bust etc etc.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Look at it this way. If we played option teams a lot, we would build our D differently. We do not, but they do. They have a D that was put together with stopping the option in mind. They sold out to stop the run, and make us beat them throwing. We beat them by throwing. It is not good coaching to run the ball when you can be more successful by throwing. You take what the other team gives you. On D our guys got a lot of meaningful game reps, and I think they will get better.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

1. Take your own advice.

2. Part of passing IS the option offense, if someone is stacking 9 in the box then you pass...once again, this is part of the option offense...why do you think Wofford put a diffrent QB late in the game?

3. Still havent answered how they ran the option offense better than us?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The only part of the offense that I question today is why didn't establish the dive a little better than we did. I will be looking closely at that during film study tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this, I commented about this on the chat...we never had the dive today. Biggest run I remember (besides maybe the Laskey TD run) was Days run.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Take your own advice.

2. Part of passing IS the option offense, if someone is stacking 9 in the box then you pass...once again, this is part of the option offense...why do you think Wofford put a diffrent QB late in the game?

3. Still havent answered how they ran the option offense better than us?

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't wait to hear the reasoning behind this, I commented about this on the chat...we never had the dive today. Biggest run I remember (besides maybe the Laskey TD run) was Days run.
Misread by JT on the dive key. Sure it will get better, but they ran the option more effectively than we did. More experienced qb but still 3O looked like **** for us

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad we won but wish it was better. At least now we can't just beat their backs about how great they are. This gives coaches ammunition to challenge these kids during the week.