Incredible stat

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I read recently that Georgia Tech has punted only 24 times in 11 games this year. That sounded good, but I decided to compare it to the rest of the ACC to see how we stacked up. Here's what I found.

FSU has the 2nd fewest punts, with 37.

10 of the other 13 teams have punted at least 49 times. In other words, more than TWICE as often as GT.

Clemson, initially believed to have a great offense, has punted 60 times.

Even UNC, with their high powered offense, has punted a total of 55 times.

Wow.

I read recently that Georgia Tech has punted only 24 times in 11 games this year. That sounded good, but I decided to compare it to the rest of the ACC to see how we stacked up. Here's what I found.

FSU has the 2nd fewest punts, with 37.

10 of the other 13 teams have punted at least 49 times. In other words, more than TWICE as often as GT.

Clemson, initially believed to have a great offense, has punted 60 times.

Even UNC, with their high powered offense, has punted a total of 55 times.

Wow.
WOW indeed !!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I like the stat, but to be honest it would be more interesting to look at punts/possession because there are fewer possessions in our games.

By my calculation, we are #2 in the country with 4.50 drives/punt. Only tOSU's 4.73 drives/punt is better.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everything needs to be compared in per drive units giving the very different number of possessions. Still impressive because our points per drive is impressive.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Chan Gailey played not to lose, when his offense was designed to be "conservative" and rely on his defense to keep games close.

Paul Johnson plays to win. That has been fortunate because our defense, for the most part, has been substandard. On the other hand, however, unlike Chan, PJ HASN'T been satisfied with having just ONE SIDE being successful, so he has continually tried to improve the defensive side of the team. He fired his Defensive Coordinator the year after we won the ACC Championship because he didn't think they were playing up to HIS standards. THEN, midway in a season, he fired Al Groh because, once again, he wasn't satisfied with the performance of the defense.

GA Tech is now on its THIRD (full time) Defensive Coordinator under Paul Johnson, and for the first time in his tenure as our Head Football Coach, it APPEARS that some improvement is finally starting occur.

I think virtually everyone that supports Paul Johnson has said that if he EVER had even a bit of help from his defense, then the team had a chance to compete for Championships (ACCC, maybe even a National Championship). Well, the way things have turned around these past four games, the first possibility may be true THIS season. If the trend continues as Ted Roof gets more of HIS players on the roster, and the guys become even better familiar with his defensive schemes, then setting up for a National Championship in the next two seasons with Justin Thomas as our starting QB isn't out of the question...

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I love incredible stats!!!

images