Inane question

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Would this year's team beat last year's. If so, by how many points and why?

First off, we need to ask if we're talking about with everyone healthy last year or without everyone healthy? Secondly, are we saying right now or at the end of the season? Because I do think our chemistry is still improving as we play together more and Jorgenson obviously isn't healthy yet.

That said, I said in another post today that I think it says a lot about our team this year that our starting PG (for much of last season) is now our third string PG. Talent wise, I think we were maybe better last year, I we have a lot more depth this season and it already seems we have a different energy and desire level

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If healthy, BBC and DM would dominate our front line.

I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Daniel Miller rarely dominated anyone, at least offensively, and neither dominated Chuck or Demarco when they faced each other a year ago. At worst, it would be a draw. I think that this year's front court is the most talented offensive group that BG has had yet.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Daniel Miller rarely dominated anyone, at least offensively, and neither dominated Chuck or Demarco when they faced each other a year ago. At worst, it would be a draw. I think that this year's front court is the most talented offensive group that BG has had yet.

Yeah, I agree with this. I was looking at RC's stats the other day, and he was pretty inconsistent in terms of production. He'd have a dominant game, but follow it up with a few mediocre to OK games:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/61607/year/2014/robert-carter
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/61607/year/2013/robert-carter

He was really coming on towards the last portion of the 2013-2014 season, and you could argue that he would have been more consistent his Junior year...but we'll never know. To say he would be better is conjecture. Mitchell's production early this season is actually better than Robert Carter's production early last season. They had different games though...Mitchell really likes to play in the post, and Carter liked to stretch his game out a little more.

I thought Miller's defensive presence and ability to kick it out to the open guy was extremely underrated. One of the best passing big men in the ACC if not the nation. Could have been more dominant on offense he wanted to, but it just wasn't in his DNA to be "the guy".

I really like how Cox compliments Mitchell...and I kinda see them as a the same player. I think Lammers is ahead of Miller at the same age...Lammers is gonna be a good one for us.

Overall, I like this team more than last year's team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Dominate was admittedly a poor choice of words. Do you think Cox can score on DM? I dont think Chuck could stop BBC.
I also think a healthy Trae Golden would eat up our PGs. However, QS is much improved this year over last, and this years MGH would eat up last years Heyward on the block. (but then again im the only that thinks MGH should be on the block more often apparently).
And this years..........nevermind........im just confusing myself.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was doing some research, when we played Ole Miss in 2013, Demarco had a 15pt/13reb performance game against us. 6/9 from the floor. Was listed as a center in that game.

In that same game, Miller had 2pt/5reb on 1/2 shooting. RC had 11pts/13reb on 3/9 shooting.

So, the answer is "Yes", Cox would have been able to score on DM because it actually happened.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400502699

Against Maryland in 2013, Charles Mitchell had 6pts/11rebs on 3/11 shooting. Listed as a reserve forward.

Miller in the same game had 7pts/4reb/4blocks on 2/7 shooting. Robert Carter was out and not listed as playing.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400502769