In the midst of...

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
...all the hype, all the juice, all the culture change and the whole '404 Takeover' shtick, let us not lose sight of the fact that behind it all,..

...Geoff Collins is a pretty good football coach.

He's not building our program on just hype.

Geoff fared decently as a first-time HC and is, by every measure, an OUTSTANDING defensive coach, proving it at 2 SEC schools (MsSt & UF) and at Temple (where he didn't have the elite of elite of talent).

Also, how excited must Dave Patenaude be?

A 26 yr coaching veteran who finally has a chance to compete and strut his stuff at the highest level. Like 'Rudy', Phil Collins, or Eminem (take your pick), he's been waiting and preparing for this moment/opportunity (that comes once in a lifetime) for all his (professional) life, so I know he's pumped.

This ain't just smoke and mirrors guys.

CGC is building our foundation rock solid on Defense and Special Teams and has a resume that backs it up.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
First important step is getting a quality staff that loves players and communicates w players. Imo that has happened.

"Birds of a feather flock together".

How the blend the old talent into new style offense will be challenging. Let's hope defense is an asset DAY 1.

Milwaukee

Banned
It's gonna come down to coordinators. Geoff is the perfect guy for the head job. If the offense doesn't develop like it needs to he'll make the necessary change you'd think. Dabo is crazy about recruiting and he hired the right coordinators, its well known that he's no messiah of football IQ. I'm hoping the same kind of success for Geoff.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd say CGC is a "half-Dabo" in that he only needs an proven, accomplished OC.

Actually, he's probably more Saban like (in that regard) because as long as we have Geoff we'll be running HIS defense.

In a DC, more than anything, I think Geoff needs continuity, good communication, and an ability to run his schemes the way he wants them run.

That's why Thacker was his hands down choice.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'd say CGC is a "half-Dabo" in that he only needs an OC.

Actually, he's probably more Saban like (in that regard) because as long as we have Geoff we'll be running HIS defense.

In a DC, more than anything, I think Geoff needs continuity, good communication, and an ability to run his schemes the way he wants them run.

That's why Thacker was his hands down choice.

I'd agree as far as scheme. I just hate throwing out comparisons like Dabo and Saban in any example because the thumbsuckers here start rolling their eyes and saying "Oh you think Geoff Collins is Dabo or Saban, pump the brakes".

But as far as their characteristics and traits I think you and I are in agreement.

...Geoff Collins is a pretty good football coach.
Obviously, we all (at least hopefully all) hope and want that to be true, but the fact of the matter is that we won't know just what kind of football coach Collins is until he puts a team on the field in actual competition. He's got LOTS AND LOTS of good things going on for him, and he's doing LOTS AND LOTS of good things, but IMO it's far too early to be making statements like that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Obviously, we all (at least hopefully all) hope and want that to be true, but the fact of the matter is that we won't know just what kind of football coach Collins is until he puts a team on the field in actual competition. He's got LOTS AND LOTS of good things going on for him, and he's doing LOTS AND LOTS of good things, but IMO it's far too early to be making statements like that.
He’s setting the expectations high- not a bad thing. I hope he can deliver.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I have really come around on him. I think he shows a strong knowledge on the D Side of the ball and has hired a set of coaches (most of whom reportedly went out of their way to come work for CGC) who teach and connect with the kids in a way that matters.

I'm excited about what we are building under him.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It's gonna come down to coordinators. Geoff is the perfect guy for the head job. If the offense doesn't develop like it needs to he'll make the necessary change you'd think. Dabo is crazy about recruiting and he hired the right coordinators, its well known that he's no messiah of football IQ. I'm hoping the same kind of success for Geoff.

This. So much this. I don't need CGC to be a great coach so long as he can hire great coordinators and assistants. That's why I've harped so much on football spending. It's amazing what quality assistants can do for a program.