In Focus, DE Anree Saint-Amour and both BBacks

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To be honest, I had one of these segments planned for last game as well, but after I reviewed the replay and started to write, I decided I wasn't going to publish something that derogatory towards the players in question. It was a really bad game and I decided to leave it as that.

Fortunately, this week, the guys I decided to watch had very good games and the team results were good too.

First up #94 Saint-Amour. It has been really fun watching him progress over the years. Observing a full game of one single player reveals a lot. Frenchy is a pretty high energy player who has developed a little bit of a burst and hand fighting skills. He got more than his share of attention from the VT O-Line, but he still had a pretty effective game. His speed and agility creates problems for the opposing offense. However, he might be a little light in the pants for this defensive alignment. He is our best DL at this juncture, IMHO. Ideally, I think he should be outside as a LB in the 3-4 with some more weighty physical players lined up inside the OTs. We don't have that luxury it seems. I like him in the pass rush and I like him in pursuit/chase mode. I fear when physical offenses decide to run right at him.

Next up, the BBs Jordan Mason and Jerry Howard. First of all, let me give both of them a standing O for their blocking. We changed up our blocking scheme for this game to facilitate the QB sweep, which had a major role to play in our game plan. Traditionally, when running most of our option offense, many OLs will release to the second level in pursuit of the MLB or safety while certain DLs are left unblocked. This has had marginal success in recent games, as it can be difficult to get the MLB on the ground for the big guys in space. Thursday, we released far fewer OLs to the second level, while doubling some DTs and picking up the gap blitzes at the point of attack instead. It was very physical and devastating as it prevented the dreaded penetration that VT had enjoyed over the years. The BBs instead were tasked with leading the QB sweeps with a load responsibility, picking up the MLB. I can't say enough about how effective both of them were. They punished the LB corps of VT and did so reliably. Having a QB sweep like that adds another blocker and our BBs are athletic enough not to get outmaneuvered in space. #23 of VT had enough by the time the game was over. He got his lunch money stolen (not just the pail) and his butt knocked in the dirt repeatedly. Our HC/OC was on the ready, when VT started firing their DTs to the outside in anticipation the QB sweep, with the midline option, primarily in the second half. By my count, Tobias didn't miss a single read on the interior and our BBs reaped the YPC rewards when their DTs ran outside. If they stayed home, Oliver kept the ball got obscene yards himself between the tackles. It was masterful and calculated to perfection. It was a great game plan and our BBs both answered the call. Pass blocking may yet to be adequately judged, but in the run blocking department, both #24 and #15 have earned their stripes.

As a side note, TO may not be ready to run the whole option offense, but right now, he is ready to run the midline. I think we will find that the triple will be soooo much more effective with the QB sweep, midline, and toss sweeps packages already well oiled. Leaving guys unblocked is way more effective when it doesn't happen every play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I had one of these segments planned for last game as well, but after I reviewed the replay and started to write, I decided I wasn't going to publish something that derogatory towards the players in question. It was a really bad game and I decided to leave it as that.

Fortunately, this week, the guys I decided to watch had very good games and the team results were good too.

First up #94 Saint-Amour. It has been really fun watching him progress over the years. Observing a full game of one single player reveals a lot. Frenchy is a pretty high energy player who has developed a little bit of a burst and hand fighting skills. He got more than his share of attention from the VT O-Line, but he still had a pretty effective game. His speed and agility creates problems for the opposing offense. However, he might be a little light in the pants for this defensive alignment. He is our best DL at this juncture, IMHO. Ideally, I think he should be outside as a LB in the 3-4 with some more weighty physical players lined up inside the OTs. We don't have that luxury it seems. I like him in the pass rush and I like him in pursuit/chase mode. I fear when physical offenses decide to run right at him.

Next up, the BBs Jordan Mason and Jerry Howard. First of all, let me give both of them a standing O for their blocking. We changed up our blocking scheme for this game to facilitate the QB sweep, which had a major role to play in our game plan. Traditionally, when running most of our option offense, many OLs will release to the second level in pursuit of the MLB or safety while certain DLs are left unblocked. This has had marginal success in recent games, as it can be difficult to get the MLB on the ground for the big guys in space. Thursday, we released far fewer OLs to the second level, while doubling some DTs and picking up the gap blitzes at the point of attack instead. It was very physical and devastating as it prevented the dreaded penetration that VT had enjoyed over the years. The BBs instead were tasked with leading the QB sweeps with a load responsibility, picking up the MLB. I can't say enough about how effective both of them were. They punished the LB corps of VT and did so reliably. Having a QB sweep like that adds another blocker and our BBs are athletic enough not to get outmaneuvered in space. #23 of VT had enough by the time the game was over. He got his lunch money stolen (not just the pail) and his butt knocked in the dirt repeatedly. Our HC/OC was on the ready, when VT started firing their DTs to the outside in anticipation the QB sweep, with the midline option, primarily in the second half. By my count, Tobias didn't miss a single read on the interior and our BBs reaped the YPC rewards when their DTs ran outside. If they stayed home, Oliver kept the ball got obscene yards himself between the tackles. It was masterful and calculated to perfection. It was a great game plan and our BBs both answered the call. Pass blocking may yet to be adequately judged, but in the run blocking department, both #24 and #15 have earned their stripes.

As a side note, TO may not be ready to run the whole option offense, but right now, he is ready to run the midline. I think we will find that the triple will be soooo much more effective with the QB sweep, midline, and toss sweeps packages already well oiled. Leaving guys unblocked is way more effective when it doesn't happen every play.
Thanks for the review.
Do u think that vt was pressing the l o s or shooting gaps = guard tackle - I didnt see much?
If they do press, it seems they will go to bust up the blocking (rather than go for the tackle).

Thanks

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the review.
Do u think that vt was pressing the l o s or shooting gaps = guard tackle - I didnt see much?
If they do press, it seems they will go to bust up the blocking (rather than go for the tackle).

Thanks
They did try to jump the gaps some. We were just blocking at the point of attack and not releasing past. One thing I liked about this is it didn't give their DL a chance to hold our OLs as they tried to run past. We switched up some stuff on the interior at times too. They didn't know who was going to be blocking them.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the review. I thought this was our tweaks Coach was responding to and you confirmed. It also confirmed what went wrong in Duke game to some extent. It reminded me of what we did to UGA in 2014 - just drive block for the most part.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Go back and watch the QB sweep to the short side of the field where Greg "The Genius" McElroy was going on about running to the wide side. Then he acted all shocked that we ran to the short side. Well I went back and watched that play to see why it worked so well. Here's the scoop:

If you pause the tape pre-snap and count the VPI players you have 6 to the wide side and 5 to short side at the snap. That tells me, run it to the short side. Our blockers on the short side are : RG, RT, REnd, R side A Back, B back and motioning wide-side A Back = 6 GT blockers vs 5 for defenders for Oliver follow. Just everybody make a block and T.O. find a seam or crease and turn it up field.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Another great rundown by @Boomergump but, for this one, you get a 9.5.

Hey, it's not my fault. You've set the bar pretty high for yourself, bro. :cigar:

That version of the QB sweep was just plain beautiful in it's devastation. Them BB's were seeking and destroying and it was fun to watch. I know the VT defenders were sharting their pants. It was even more fun to watch than the neked version we unloaded on TN in game 1 last season with the 2 OL leading the way.

I'm also really loving 24 aka #Bee-stMode

I have a one question for you and whoever else, of course. {rustles paper}

One play, CPJ sent Cottrell in with the call. Player got a couple steps away and turned back. CPJ mouthed, quite clearly on the broadcast, "Keep!" and the next play was a QB-carry on an "option" play. It was funny because it was one of those typical moments where the announcer highlights the no-play sheet thing and they basically telegraphed the play yet it was still effective.

My question is to what degree did it appear Oliver was actually "reading".

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Go back and watch the QB sweep to the short side of the field where Greg "The Genius" McElroy was going on about running to the wide side. Then he acted all shocked that we ran to the short side. Well I went back and watched that play to see why it worked so well. Here's the scoop:

If you pause the tape pre-snap and count the VPI players you have 6 to the wide side and 5 to short side at the snap. That tells me, run it to the short side. Our blockers on the short side are : RG, RT, REnd, R side A Back, B back and motioning wide-side A Back = 6 GT blockers vs 5 for defenders for Oliver follow. Just everybody make a block and T.O. find a seam or crease and turn it up field.

Yeah, he went on and on about it until we actually ran to the wide side. Then acted like, "See, thas why you run to the wide side, blah, blah ..." Showing a total lack of understanding for why we actually do anything.

In his defense, it's not like 'Bama actually taught him arithmetic.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

@Boomergump you know how I feel about this offense, but your breakdowns are always well appreciated. A win is a win.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There was one triple and 6 midline and three pitch reads (speed or counter speed option). He read all of them correctly. One pitch was bad on delivery.

I think triple would give him some issues...,

Personay, I hope to see no more than 4 triple next game. That ruins about 50 percent of UNCs prep work.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They did try to jump the gaps some. We were just blocking at the point of attack and not releasing past. One thing I liked about this is it didn't give their DL a chance to hold our OLs as they tried to run past. We switched up some stuff on the interior at times too. They didn't know who was going to be blocking them.

Would love to get your take on the 100 % run offense baylor used in the bowl game w UCLA .
All qb were injured so they used w r = 700 yds offense w most on ground.

Wonder if it would work here. No problem if don't have time.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The Two-Headed Monster was lights out in this game, but there was one thing they didn't do consistently.

Longestday pointed it out: they often didn't run the dive to the right place. The dive ought to end up off the guard's inside shoulder headed for the gap created by his block and the OT's. What was happening was that the THM kept running too close to the guard. When they didn't, good things happened; see Howard's first TD. He went to exactly the right place and walked into the end zone. As Longest says, Benson doesn't have this problem. By the end of the year neither will the THM.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I did love the game Thursday and loved the blocking scheme and play calls that overwhelmed the VT defense. Here's my one BIG objection: Why didn't we do this against Duke?? I mean, we know how they're going to defend us (a lot like VT did). We could've obliterated them the same way. That's CPJ's calling card, that's what makes him CPJ - he's able to make in-game adjustments to his offense that can totally make a defense that thought they had it right become totally wrong. We've seen him do it lots of times. I don't remember how Pitt, SoFl, or Clem's defended us, so I can't ask the same question about those games.

Is it a "This should work, and I'm going to make it work" thing with the triple? Since he thinks Marshall and the rest of the O should be able to execute the triple and then base everything else off of that, did he just say "If we can't do this, we don't deserve to win"? And then when Tobias was the man and he didn't feel like the triple was going to be the best thing for his RS frosh QB, did that finally make his offensive-genius mojo kick in? I'm 100% sure I'm making wrong conjectures with my questions, just wondering aloud.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I did love the game Thursday and loved the blocking scheme and play calls that overwhelmed the VT defense. Here's my one BIG objection: Why didn't we do this against Duke?? I mean, we know how they're going to defend us (a lot like VT did). We could've obliterated them the same way. That's CPJ's calling card, that's what makes him CPJ - he's able to make in-game adjustments to his offense that can totally make a defense that thought they had it right become totally wrong. We've seen him do it lots of times. I don't remember how Pitt, SoFl, or Clem's defended us, so I can't ask the same question about those games.

Is it a "This should work, and I'm going to make it work" thing with the triple? Since he thinks Marshall and the rest of the O should be able to execute the triple and then base everything else off of that, did he just say "If we can't do this, we don't deserve to win"? And then when Tobias was the man and he didn't feel like the triple was going to be the best thing for his RS frosh QB, did that finally make his offensive-genius mojo kick in? I'm 100% sure I'm making wrong conjectures with my questions, just wondering aloud.

I certainly don’t know but have been feeling the same about Duke. Especially with the pre game attention given to Duke being more physical than us the last couple of years.

Post VT I couldn’t help think TO and those play calls would have asserted us as the more physical. Maybe next year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I suspect our problem against Duke reduces to bad play, especially OL (for perhaps a variety of reasons) and Duke having a better D.