In Focus, Connor Hansen #56 and Charlie Thomas #45

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I had already watched the replay of the Louisville game once and wanted to watch it again. However, this time I wanted a special task to keep it interesting. I don't have a DVR any more, so watching every play over and over isn't very time efficient. I decided to pick a single player on each side of the ball to watch every play as the game tape ran unstopped for three quarters. I thought it would be fun to choose players I wasn't familiar with, just to get to know them better. In this case it was Connor Hansen #56 at RG on offense, and Charlie Thomas #45 on defense. My observations are as follows:

Hansen: I had a blast watching this kid, I have to be honest. He really gets after it. In fact, I don't think the guy he was assigned to (run blocking) made a single stop the entire three periods. There was a draw play where he stood up to block and got beat, but that was it in my recollection. He really gets low. Nobody, and I mean nobody, gets underneath him. He was very decisive about his assignments and appeared to take the right guy when moving to the second level every time. When on the really big DL guy, he drove into him and controlled him despite giving up a lot of weight. He pulls very quickly and gets out in space effectively. This kid is ready to play and is absolutely an asset to this offense. He knows how to play in it and he is really tough. We didn't pass much, so making judgement on his pass blocking skills would be premature. With that said, his run blocking is top notch. His cut blocking on the interior was simply fearsome.

Thomas: It was a bit eery seeing a guy in #45 who looked so much like Attaochu moving around the field. Charlie has as much agility and athletic ability as Jeremiah and will progress in a similar fashion I would imagine. He flies around the field and can put a foot in the ground rushing the passer, making it difficult for blockers to stay in front of him. Just to set the record straight, on the first fumble recovery, near the right sideline, he started the play as the OLB on the left side, rushed the passer, beat the guy on him with an inside move, got a hit on the QB and rushed the throw, THEN beat feet towards the receiver on the opposite side of the field to get in on the recovery. The ground he covered and the hustle he displayed were all that ANY coach could ask for. 99% of defensive players don't make that play. Having said that, at this point, Charlie plays a little out of control. He over runs some plays and gets himself out of position at times. Additionally, he appears to lack the upper body strength at this time to shuck blockers like he will in the future. IMHO, he needs to play now though, because he can really move. We are talking about a future STAR LB for GT. I feel sure about that. He will help us now, but he will be a way better player in the years to come. Remember Phillip Wheeler? He reminds me of him as well in a lot of ways. You have to love the energy.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Braun, Cooper, Hanson, Lee and Quinny will all be back next year

We also get DeFoor, Smith (who was called out by CPJ preseason), and a couple of other talented RS Freshmen ( SO next year).

This is one of the reasons I'm not completely bought into the "our recruiting sucks" argument. The OL, QB, and DB recruits of the past 2ish classes to me have been a step up from previous classes. Combine that with a bit more time for CNW to get settled (his App state defense his first year there wasn't anything special either but it got there) and I'm still high on my 2020 hype train.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is one of the reasons I'm not completely bought into the "our recruiting sucks" argument. The OL, QB, and DB recruits of the past 2ish classes to me have been a step up from previous classes. Combine that with a bit more time for CNW to get settled (his App state defense his first year there wasn't anything special either but it got there) and I'm still high on my 2020 hype train.
I'm getting kind of old could you push it up one more year to 2019 ?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I had already watched the replay of the Louisville game once and wanted to watch it again. However, this time I wanted a special task to keep it interesting. I don't have a DVR any more, so watching every play over and over isn't very time efficient. I decided to pick a single player on each side of the ball to watch every play as the game tape ran unstopped for three quarters. I thought it would be fun to choose players I wasn't familiar with, just to get to know them better. In this case it was Connor Hansen #56 at RG on offense, and Charlie Thomas #45 on defense. My observations are as follows:

Hansen: I had a blast watching this kid, I have to be honest. He really gets after it. In fact, I don't think the guy he was assigned to (run blocking) made a single stop the entire three periods. There was a draw play where he stood up to block and got beat, but that was it in my recollection. He really gets low. Nobody, and I mean nobody, gets underneath him. He was very decisive about his assignments and appeared to take the right guy when moving to the second level every time. When on the really big DL guy, he drove into him and controlled him despite giving up a lot of weight. He pulls very quickly and gets out in space effectively. This kid is ready to play and is absolutely an asset to this offense. He knows how to play in it and he is really tough. We didn't pass much, so making judgement on his pass blocking skills would be premature. With that said, his run blocking is top notch. His cut blocking on the interior was simply fearsome.

Thomas: It was a bit eery seeing a guy in #45 who looked so much like Attaochu moving around the field. Charlie has as much agility and athletic ability as Jeremiah and will progress in a similar fashion I would imagine. He flies around the field and can put a foot in the ground rushing the passer, making it difficult for blockers to stay in front of him. Just to set the record straight, on the first fumble recovery, near the right sideline, he started the play as the OLB on the left side, rushed the passer, beat the guy on him with an inside move, got a hit on the QB and rushed the throw, THEN beat feet towards the receiver on the opposite side of the field to get in on the recovery. The ground he covered and the hustle he displayed were all that ANY coach could ask for. 99% of defensive players don't make that play. Having said that, at this point, Charlie plays a little out of control. He over runs some plays and gets himself out of position at times. Additionally, he appears to lack the upper body strength at this time to shuck blockers like he will in the future. IMHO, he needs to play now though, because he can really move. We are talking about a future STAR LB for GT. I feel sure about that. He will help us now, but he will be a way better player in the years to come. Remember Phillip Wheeler? He reminds me of him as well in a lot of ways. You have to love the energy.

Connor is the one that someone on the Louisville board was complaining about being a "dirty player" because he supposedly "chopped blocked" their big nose tackle. I did not see it but Boomer's analysis is spot on. You will recall, he is the one when he was being looked at in a summer camp tryout was given an offer on the spot and said something like" Thank you, can I go back and hit someone some more" Paraphrasing here but you get the idea. He is all guard. In other words, a road grader of the first order. Charlie Thomas already had quite a reputation down here in south Georgia for being a "baller". Fine athlete with good instincts. He will only get better with time. The shame of it is that he might could have benefited from a red shirt year to get stronger but circumstances have dictated otherwise. Gotta have him now!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Defensive backs, offensive line, and quarterbacks are showing promise for sure. Defensive line and linebackers need more work. We need more quality depth on defense and for the love of God, difference makers on the outside at both A back and wide receiver. Our recruiting is improved from what it was in 2013 when it was ranked, what? maybe in the 80s but needs to improve more. We will see if increased funding will make a difference because recruiting at Tech is not easy, never has been.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Great write up Boomer. In short I think you are saying that they were both excellent recruits that have a lot of upside. I am sure some on this board will argue that (ie PJ can’t recruit)Again thanks for taking the time to do this analysis. There are many of us here that appreciate what you do.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
there is a reason 45 is getting playing time. He is solid, and the other guy was disappointing.

needs to happen at one other spot too...good move by the staff

Will LB??

The secondary still taking lumps in coverage. Just seems like a communication issue. Blown coverages and poor tackling.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thank you for this. I have missed your weekly write ups.

Indeed and agreed.

@Boomergump , is this the birth of a new series?

I can see it now. Boomerg sitting in front of a roaring fireplace. Bearskin rug on the floor of a rustic cabin. He puts down his pipe, looks up from his tattered notepad, peers into the camera and says, "Welcome to ... In Focus."

I isolated on Hansen for several plays, too. Reminds me of a bigger Parker Braun. The dude is relentless!

A bigger Parker Braun? :eek: Hide the kids, ladies and gentlemen.

there is a reason 45 is getting playing time. He is solid, and the other guy was disappointing.

needs to happen at one other spot too...good move by the staff

Secondary or lb? I think I'm with you.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We also get DeFoor, Smith (who was called out by CPJ preseason), and a couple of other talented RS Freshmen ( SO next year).
And The Twins are back too. And Charlie Clark. The OL should be quite adequate next year.

The battle royal next spring will be among our QB candidates. Right now, I'd say Tobias has the inside track, but Johnson played just as much the year before and can throw better. Graham may take over the position like JT did, however. And then there's all the new kids. That'll be fun to watch and, I bet, one of those "we won't know until the fall" teases that Coach loves.