Impact of Prior Games

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
If this has already been specifically discussed, sorry I missed it.

My only concern about this game is that ND has faced bigger, faster, more physical teams (and found a way to win), while we haven't had to rise to play at the same level of competition. I'm worried that it makes them more prepared.

On the other hand, there is an argument that facing weaker teams works in our favor: we will be well-rested; coaches could begin practice preps for ND two weeks ago; and we're not yet "banged up" with injuries.

Many times we've seen our guys surprise the opposition with team speed on our first offense series. It's exciting to see and fun to hear from the other team in post-game interviews! Last year, as the season progressed, we began to control the line of scrimmage but not so much early in the season. Will that advantage go to the bad guys this time? From the start, they will likely have better awareness/appreciation of the speed of the game, know what it really takes to get push on the line of scrimmage, experienced the impact of missed assignments or miscues (even by a step), and overcome adversity.

Seem to recall a handicapping methodology that purports a team often performs poorly in the week following a "tough game". Maybe so, but I think that would have more effect in middle or late season when legs are tired and everyone has a nagging injury.

Ugh. Can you guys make me feel better about our lack of experience at a higher level of competition? Thanks!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

My only concern about this game is that ND has faced bigger, faster, more physical teams (and found a way to win), while we haven't had to rise to play at the same level of competition. I'm worried that it makes them more prepared.

On the other hand, there is an argument that facing weaker teams works in our favor: we will be well-rested; coaches could begin practice preps for ND two weeks ago; and we're not yet "banged up" with injuries.

Many times we've seen our guys surprise the opposition with team speed on our first offense series. It's exciting to see and fun to hear from the other team in post-game interviews! Last year, as the season progressed, we began to control the line of scrimmage but not so much early in the season. Will that advantage go to the bad guys this time? From the start, they will likely have better awareness/appreciation of the speed of the game, know what it really takes to get push on the line of scrimmage, experienced the impact of missed assignments or miscues (even by a step), and overcome adversity.

Seem to recall a handicapping methodology that purports a team often performs poorly in the week following a "tough game". Maybe so, but I think that would have more effect in middle or late season when legs are tired and everyone has a nagging injury.

Ugh. Can you guys make me feel better about our lack of experience at a higher level of competition? Thanks!

Sorry I think that issue went out the window last year. I won't get into the returners on both sides of the ball but suffice to say most of the starting line up for Tech has game experience against "higher level of competition". :D

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
That would certainly hold true if we were playing in January of this past year. Since then we've only played ourselves and a couple of lesser teams. My gut says that we don't come into this game right where we left off at the Orange bowl. That's one reason we schedule weaker teams early. My only concern is that it takes us some time to adjust...just sayin'

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I always felt like we schedule weaker teams early because we are working on timing issues with the offense. It is not so much that we can't handle the speed and power of top tier teams early in the season, it is that playing teams of that caliber does not give you the luxury of working on certain things that want to work on.

JacketintheBend

Georgia Tech Fan
ND played tougher teams and is down 5 starters. Rather have everybody than be starting a 3d string QB and TB (ND minus 3 best runners) against a top 15 team.
Lake effect weather Saturday (wind 20-25 w/some rain) favors our running game over their spread game. That said the ball is not round so who knows.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

IMO Our lack of experience is at the (WR and RB) positions most likely to hurt us the least and after the way these players performed so far I think it is an issue in our favor compared to the ND issues from their inexperience.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks. Wasn't aware that they lost 5 starters (not just QB) or the impending weather. Intuitively, the weather "should" bode well for us but I've never seen anything to support it so I'm not so sure. After all, we keep the ball in play and move it around quite often with push-pull to the B-back, pitch to ABs on option and sweeps, and the occasional pass. It goes both ways when a defensive back slips and leave a wr wide open. Still, the weather feels like an advantage at best or an equalizer at worst.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
I just watched some tape on ND-TX and I'm less worried. TX looks pathetic on Offense especially. Their O-line looks slow and didn't block anybody. I think Tulane might be better than TX. On the other hand, ND offensive line looks strong.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. Wasn't aware that they lost 5 starters (not just QB) or the impending weather. Intuitively, the weather "should" bode well for us but I've never seen anything to support it so I'm not so sure. After all, we keep the ball in play and move it around quite often with push-pull to the B-back, pitch to ABs on option and sweeps, and the occasional pass. It goes both ways when a defensive back slips and leave a wr wide open. Still, the weather feels like an advantage at best or an equalizer at worst.

The wind is probably a bigger factor in this game (20-25mph) than the wet. It will affect the long passing game, the punt and KO game, and the field goal game...slight advantage GT. The wet typically hurts the smaller faster team, helps the power running team, and can help the passing game...slight advantage ND. The turnovers will be a bigger issue than the wind or wet.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At this point we just need to tee it up and get it on. There is no way to know if we pick up right after the Orange Bowl or not. There is no way to know if they have the advantage having played TX and UVA. We are fresh. They are beat up. Who the heck knows? There are advantages both ways. I believe in our guys. I believe we have good leadership. I believe we are unselfish, right down to the last man. I believe in our system and our QB's ability to run it. I believe our OL is veteran and tested. I believe our skill guys on O are athletic as all get out. I believe in our coach's ability to call a good game. I believe we have made strides on defense. I believe they are pretty darned good. I know they are playing at home. What does it all mean? Don't obsess. Be a fan. Watch the game. Enjoy the game. Support our kids.

We don't have to know going in if we are going to win or not. That is what sports are all about. We don't even need to determine what our percentage chance of winning is. We just need to play the game, watch the game, and find out. Man am I excited about getting on that plane tomorrow night, because I have no idea what is going to happen. Ain't it great?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is definitely going to be a tougher game but I don't know how much better their prior competition was. UVA looked better than expected, but that blowout of Texas isn't very telling.

Texas is flat out bad. Ignore the final score of Texas vs Rice and look at the box score

Total Yards: Texas -277|Rice - 462
TOP: Texas - 15:58 | Rice- 44:02
1st Downs: Texas - 11 | Rice - 30
3rd down efficiency: Texas - 3/8 or 37.5% | Rice - 14/21 or 66.7%
TO's: Texas -1 | Rice -5

Literally if it weren't for Rice turning the ball over Texas would have LOST TO RICE!

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
This is definitely going to be a tougher game but I don't know how much better their prior competition was. UVA looked better than expected, but that blowout of Texas isn't very telling.

Texas is flat out bad. Ignore the final score of Texas vs Rice and look at the box score

Total Yards: Texas -277|Rice - 462
TOP: Texas - 15:58 | Rice- 44:02
1st Downs: Texas - 11 | Rice - 30
3rd down efficiency: Texas - 3/8 or 37.5% | Rice - 14/21 or 66.7%
TO's: Texas -1 | Rice -5

Literally if it weren't for Rice turning the ball over Texas would have LOST TO RICE!

Beat me to the punch. Texas isn't a good football team, and to be honest, Virginia probably isn't a Top 40 caliber Team, either, especially if you saw their game against UCLA.

Against Notre Dame, Kelly may decide to try to do what Mark Richt did the last time UGA played us in Atlanta when he was starting a new QB, and run a power game right at our defense because he may think he'll have better athletes and they can dominate us at the Line of Scrimmage. I don't know much about the replacement RB's (we know the stable of RB's UGA trots out), so blocking may be okay, but if the RB's miss the holes, or fumble when they're hit, or don't get yards after contact, then we might start to crowd the LoS (run blitz), forcing a passing game (while playing the DB's tight, bumping the WR's at the snap to throw them off their timing or routes from the snap).

IF we can stop the run, and force the QB to make passes when he has a head on a swivel, then we'll get turnovers.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We don't have to know going in if we are going to win or not. That is what sports are all about. We don't even need to determine what our percentage chance of winning is. We just need to play the game, watch the game, and find out. Man am I excited about getting on that plane tomorrow night, because I have no idea what is going to happen. Ain't it great?

I have said this before. This best part of this whole thing that CPJ has done is giving us fans the confidence to know that we can win. Not that we will. But that we can...without wishing for luck or turnovers or some sort of "off day" from a superior opponent. If we do we we can. we have a reasonable expectation to win. This, to my way of thinking, is all I ask of our coach/program/team. The W is the icing on the cake.

Will we win? Who knows. But nobody will be surprised if we do.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... What does it all mean? Don't obsess. ....

No one on here would do that, myself included :facepalm:

I think the impact of not having faced faster teams will be over for us after the third series. The impact for ND of playing tough games will show up in the fourth quarter.

I'm going to try and follow Boomer's advice and enjoy the journey. But I may get emotional along the way :devil:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If we do we we can.

I'm not sure what this even means. It kinda looks like a background lyric from a '50's song. I think I might have meant "If we do what we are capable of, we can". But I can't be sure...I typed (?) that a long time ago.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure what this even means. It kinda looks like a background lyric from a '50's song. I think I might have meant "If we do what we are capable of, we can". But I can't be sure...I typed (?) that a long time ago.
We were channeling what you were thinking when your fingers hit the wrong keys. We are Tech. We can do that.