Impact Freshman - Jake Whitley

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Impact Freshman - Guard, Jake Whitley

images

Jr Film -

Analysis - He is a big kid at around 6'4, 300 pounds. As most lineman we take, Jake can move well for his size. He carries his weight around well and my favorite tool he has is his feet. Jake really has quick feet for a lineman...I have talked to him a few times and he is a old school player in my eyes. Isn't much for interviews or things of that nature. Just wants to line up and smash somebody.

Why he plays - I think Jake will play this year due to our lack of depth and his familiarity with the system. He has the size that we are looking for and could provide depth early on like Shaq Mason did. I really think we will have one Freshman play inside this year, his competition for this spot is Gary Brown.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised to see Braun and or Brigham get time at T...and the coaches want to play some of the Freshmen lineman due to depth and to even out class numbers on the OL.
Speaking of tackle, did you see any reason for optimism out of BC in the spring?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised to see Braun and or Brigham get time at T...and the coaches want to play some of the Freshmen lineman due to depth and to even out class numbers on the OL.

So if Braun moves to tackle then would Shamire takes over as the starter at LG? I kinda like that idea.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
So if Braun moves to tackle then would Shamire takes over as the starter at LG? I kinda like that idea.

I am not saying that move is 100% happening or is in the plans...It is something I think we could try out if the OL is struggling and or we need help at tackle.

I personally don't think Devine is ready for everyday duty yet (due to endurance) but would love to be wrong on that.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Speaking of tackle, did you see any reason for optimism out of BC in the spring?

I did see improvement from him in the Spring, but to say I am not concerned about him would be a lie. I just do not believe he is the answer. That is probably my biggest worry right now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think our final lineup after a game or two will be Griffin, Devine, Burden, Mason, Braun. I think that gives us our best 5 across the OL and eliminates one of our OT problems.

I watched the spring game and I didn't see any endurance problems to speak of with Devine. Admittedly, it was a bit brisk that night and in the late sumer heat he might have difficulties. I thought - and continue to think - that his main problem is figuring out just exactly what he's supposed to be doing when he blocks downfield. But that's a matter of experience.

All of this is conditional on Griffin being as good as everybody thinks he is, of course. That's why losing Roberts could create problems.

Swarm3

Georgia Tech Fan
During spring, Joe and Devine struggled with the heat and endurance. I think, how they come to camp and perform will determine where they are in the rotation. Brigham is a player that is flexible and is capable of playing both at guard and at tackle. Many forget that he was a Rivals/Scout 3 star and a ESPN 4 star offensive lineman out of high school , starting at guard 2 years and tackle his senior year for Marist. From what I have been told, he, as well as Griffin, have worked really hard during the off-season to be leaner, quicker and stronger. I think Whitley will need time to learn the offense before he will have an impact, as well as trim down some and gain strength like all new lineman. O'Reilly is also a player that can play and back up in the middle, and he has also worked hard off season. I think camp will settle some of the questions and then injuries will factor in as the season progresses.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
During spring, Joe and Devine struggled with the heat and endurance. I think, how they come to camp and perform will determine where they are in the rotation. Brigham is a player that is flexible and is capable of playing both at guard and at tackle. Many forget that he was a Rivals/Scout 3 star and a ESPN 4 star offensive lineman out of high school , starting at guard 2 years and tackle his senior year for Marist. From what I have been told, he, as well as Griffin, have worked really hard during the off-season to be leaner, quicker and stronger. I think Whitley will need time to learn the offense before he will have an impact, as well as trim down some and gain strength like all new lineman. O'Reilly is also a player that can play and back up in the middle, and he has also worked hard off season. I think camp will settle some of the questions and then injuries will factor in as the season progresses.

Really disappointed with Errin Joe.

I actually give a leg up to Whitley over Brown due to him being somewhat familiar with this system.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
I did see improvement from him in the Spring, but to say I am not concerned about him would be a lie. I just do not believe he is the answer. That is probably my biggest worry right now.

What about Errin Joe any chance he takes over for BC if he continues to struggle?. Joe was highly recruited guy but he has had to battle through injuries throughout his career.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What about Errin Joe any chance he takes over for BC if he continues to struggle?. Joe was highly recruited guy but he has had to battle through injuries throughout his career.

The last couple of posts kinda answer this...What you put in is what you get out.

I will take my chances with BC over Joe.