Impact Freshman - CJ Leggett

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Impact Freshman - B-Back, CJ Leggett

121513_hs6a_game_04.JPG

Film -

Analysis - There is a lot to like about Leggett... as you can see above Leggett has some tree trunks for legs which is always good to see for our B-backs...He has decent vision and seems to read blocks well. Has very good hands for a RB. CJ has a nice frame he is listed at 5'10 210 lbs by the Georgia Tech roster...although he looks skinnier than that in my opinion. He has room to add upper body strength....He played most of his Senior season with a turf toe injury.

Why he plays - I think CJ has a really good shot of playing this year due to the loss of Travis Custis, not a knock against Matt Connors who is a solid player but we need another threat and for someone to be ready to get a lot of time in 2015. I was told that he is going to get every chance to not redshirt this year. It would be ideal for CJ to come in and win the #2 job this Fall.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
When I saw him in the dome, I thought he looked like (prepare yourself to gag) Gurley. I thought he looked like a perfect running back. And he shows great hands out of the backfield.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
They need to let Laskey take it easy in practice so he can stay healthy and let CJ take most of the reps. Also, CJ looks looks HUGE on the football field but not very big in street clothes....maybe I just think he looks bigger because of his playing style.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I watched one of his playoff games because we had some commits on the opposing team. He was committed elsewhere and he had me breaking that commandment about coveting that which belongs to someone else. He was very impressive.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Really like that film. Love his running style. Runs compactly, he actually makes himself look more compact than he is when he runs because he's runs with a good low pad level and keeps everything in tight. That helps him be a more powerful runner. Not great speed, but good enough to do a lot of damage (reminds me of Choice in his open field speed). Good vision, direction change, sets up blocks well, patient when appropriate and explodes through an opening when it's there. Loved those goalline runs where he just earns his money by himself carrying 4 or 5 tacklers and reaching paydirt. He looks like a major diamond in the rough to me. Very glad to have him.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'll say that it looks to me like CJ maximizes the yardage available and even gets more than most would just because of talent. I can't say that about all of the guys that have played in the backfield under CPJ. So, I'm excited he's going to be an option for us, and I think he can be very successful at both backfield positions. A MAJOR factor here that it's easy to forget about is how good of a blocker is he going to be. He looks like he's got the tools to do it. Does he have that mindset? My bet is yes.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Really like that film. Love his running style. Runs compactly, he actually makes himself look more compact than he is when he runs because he's runs with a good low pad level and keeps everything in tight. That helps him be a more powerful runner. Not great speed, but good enough to do a lot of damage (reminds me of Choice in his open field speed). Good vision, direction change, sets up blocks well, patient when appropriate and explodes through an opening when it's there. Loved those goalline runs where he just earns his money by himself carrying 4 or 5 tacklers and reaching paydirt. He looks like a major diamond in the rough to me. Very glad to have him.
I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of Choice

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I love how decisive he is when he runs. He's quick to see the hole and just explodes through it without too much hesitation.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He runs hard and is not afraid to engage defenders. I'm excited to see what he can do because our coaches are excited about him.

Watching his film, he doesn't seem to be fast. He is often caught from behind and does not run away from anyone. This is an observation not a criticism.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
CJ looks real good, going to be a good player for Tech, also didn't Donovan Wilson move to B-Back, he should be in the mix also.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a good critique. Prior to this posting, I think I only have seen the 2012 film on CJ. As Vasmos says, it almost looks like the kid runs with his shoulder pads directly on top of his thigh pads. There is very little to hit there. Could you see defenders trying to get a hat on him to no avail? He won't sprint away from the secondary like JD, but I believe he will be better at getting to the secondary than anybody since. There is a lot to like.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited about this kid, he looks tough and strong, Hopefully his future nickname will be "The Punisher"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What sold me on CJ was his game against McEachern in the playoffs. Anyone that follows prep football, and knows recruiting knows that McEachern is LOADED with D1 prospects (it's where Ty Griffin from). They also have a 5 star 2016 DT on that defense to go with 2 other 5 star offensive players.

All CJ did was carry the ball 36 times for 287 yards and 2 TDs...and he made it look easy. This guy won't wow you like Dwyer, but I can see him being a smaller version of Ant that just eats up yards.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Saw only playoff games on GPTV of him and Custis. Leggett made a better impression.

Go back and watch that semifinal game of Custis senior year I believe against North Cobb. I thought he played well even in the championship game where Lovejoy he seemed to be extremely out coached and predictable especially in the 2nd half. This is by no means at all meant to take anything away from CJ. In fact I was watching their championship game with my brother who is a huge UGA fan and we were both wondering why CJ had not been offered by Tech (I had also seen another N. G. playoff games). I guess we just have differing opinions about their playoff runs

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Very intelligent kid. Wants to be a Dr. like his dad. High GPA.
I already made of post of how much I like the kid.
Donovan runs high imo while CJ is the opposite, he reminds me of choice as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Go back and watch that semifinal game of Custis senior year I believe against North Cobb. I thought he played well even in the championship game where Lovejoy he seemed to be extremely out coached and predictable especially in the 2nd half. This is by no means at all meant to take anything away from CJ. In fact I was watching their championship game with my brother who is a huge UGA fan and we were both wondering why CJ had not been offered by Tech (I had also seen another N. G. playoff games). I guess we just have differing opinions about their playoff runs

The knock on Leggett in HS was that he played behind one of the best OLs in the State. If you watch his highlights, he does a lot on his own beyond the LOS that you can say he has a legit skillset for a Power 5 conference team.