I'm leaving The Swarm Lounge

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
After much deliberation and thought I will no longer participate in any thread posted in the swarm lounge. My peace of mind is worth more to me that engaging with some of the folks in here. I will not respond to any comments on this thread, I simply wanted to let y'all know why I have refrained from any further activity in this section of The Swarm.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
After much deliberation and thought I will no longer participate in any thread posted in the swarm lounge. My peace of mind is worth more to me that engaging with some of the folks in here. I will not respond to any comments on this thread, I simply wanted to let y'all know why I have refrained from any further activity in this section of The Swarm.
I don't blame you. Trying to have a logical discussion with folks that rely upon Brietbart as their primary source of information is a lost cause. Yet, we still have to debate because the very future of our country relies upon rigorous debate to ultimately arrive at the truth.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Trying to have a logical discussion with folks that rely upon Brietbart as their primary source of information is a lost cause.

It’s also difficult to have discussions with people who post information or believe information in charts like this:

66ff20bc7632beeb67aff6b47b53046e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Not aimed at you specifically, OldJacketFan. This is one of the biggest problems in general we are having as a country. There are echo chambers that reinforce and harden our current set of beliefs. It is easier for everyone to segregate themselves from areas where they encounter ideas that are not part of ones current echo chamber and just think their ideas are correct because that is all they hear. This is independent of left or right leanings. I don't know where it will all end, but the path we are on as a country is not good.

Sorry to see you go, I have enjoyed reading your posts. even if I don't agree with some of it.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Old Jacket I’d like to see you stay. Chances are that in the real world we would say something stupid as a response to each other’s logic then move on to the game with a few drinks and friends.

We have a lot in common, we love Tech, our country and statistically we are in a smaller and smaller percentage that still vote.

I’d rather argue with you, fail to understand your logic and beat my head into the wall because of your perspective than not. We, you and I ( and those like us ) are the reason our country still exist. The ability to care enough to fight or argue must not be waived out of frustration with the other side.

Stay around, who else will call me an idiot . ( well ok let’s not answer that ).

I have left leaning friends who I talk to daily if for no other reason than just to debate. I consider them very good friends - that’s why I’m trying so hard to help them :)

Milwaukee

Banned
Old Jacket I’d like to see you stay. Chances are that in the real world we would say something stupid as a response to each other’s logic then move on to the game with a few drinks and friends.

We have a lot in common, we love Tech, our country and statistically we are in a smaller and smaller percentage that still vote.

I’d rather argue with you, fail to understand your logic and beat my head into the wall because of your perspective than not. We, you and I ( and those like us ) are the reason our country still exist. The ability to care enough to fight or argue must not be waived out of frustration with the other side.

Stay around, who else will call me an idiot . ( well ok let’s not answer that ).

I have left leaning friends who I talk to daily if for no other reason than just to debate. I consider them very good friends - that’s why I’m trying so hard to help them :)

Great post and well said. @OldJacketFan stick around the lounge, even if less than normal. I'm in the same boat as you, I get frustrated with people (the liberal left) on just about everything but I still love to lurk and listen.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

One problem with this is that its pretty unlikely that you would talk to any of your left leaning friends in person the way that some people talk to OldJacketFan here. The internet fu**wad theory is in full effect here. The goal here seems to be make the other person feel as stupid as possible, not to engage in any real debate. The only real way to enjoy an environment like that is to start acting that way yourself, which eventually leads to a competition to see who can out troll each other. Most will just walk away though, simply because they feel it isn't worth it. This isn't unique to this site, it exists on pretty much every site that allows political discussion.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All I can say is that you haven me think about some of my beliefs and opinions......and that's a good thing.

bets of luck whatever you choose.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One problem with this is that its pretty unlikely that you would talk to any of your left leaning friends in person the way that some people talk to OldJacketFan here. The internet fu**wad theory is in full effect here. The goal here seems to be make the other person feel as stupid as possible, not to engage in any real debate. The only real way to enjoy an environment like that is to start acting that way yourself, which eventually leads to a competition to see who can out troll each other. Most will just walk away though, simply because they feel it isn't worth it. This isn't unique to this site, it exists on pretty much every site that allows political discussion.

Pretty sure you are the only one on this site that has acted and appeared to be as stupid as possible. That’s because you troll so hard. You probably aren’t as stupid in real life as you appear here.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

Wreckin,

Voice inflection and facial expression is lost on the internet. I agree, some are a bit condesending but these sites are a lot like texting or email. It’s hard to tell sometimes if someone is truly being a d**k or if it’s dismissive sarcasm.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem here is the same problem in most places in life. We're too interested in trying to convince someone else that what they think and how they feel is wrong, as opposed to listening to what they're saying and trying to understand their opinion and point of view. We're stubborn. We hold so strongly to our own perceptions that we close ourselves off to actually learning something. I know I've been guilty of this throughout my life. If we open our minds and be willing to change our position based on the data , we will not only offend others less, but might just learn something new.

This applies to the vast majority of posters on this forum.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The problem here is the same problem in most places in life. We're too interested in trying to convince someone else that what they think and how they feel is wrong, as opposed to listening to what they're saying and trying to understand their opinion and point of view. We're stubborn. We hold so strongly to our own perceptions that we close ourselves off to actually learning something. I know I've been guilty of this throughout my life. If we open our minds and be willing to change our position based on the data , we will not only offend others less, but might just learn something new.

This applies to the vast majority of posters on this forum.

Interesting that you identified the problem as people being “too interested in trying to convince someone else that what they think and how they feel is wrong” but then you you followed it up by doing exactly that. I’m so glad the forum has someone in an exalted position to help guide the data-ignoring simpletons.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure you are the only one on this site that has acted and appeared to be as stupid as possible. That’s because you troll so hard. You probably aren’t as stupid in real life as you appear here.
That has almost nothing to do with my post. Whether you think I'm the only stupid one here is irrelevant. OldJacketFan isn't going to post here because of the way you and others have treated him. You can try to turn that back around on me if it makes you feel better or you could use some kind of self evaluation to try to improve yourself.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure exactly what you're trying to say or imply, but you've done a piss poor job of it. If you don't think the majority of posters on this forum (the political forum), conservative and progressive, have no interest in anything but proving their own point and trying to sway someone else's opinion, then you need to spend more time reading and less time trying to criticize others.

The whole point of my post is that we need to be more open-minded if there's to be any discussion. Otherwise you're just trolling each other, which is a monumental waste of time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not sure exactly what you're trying to say or imply, but you've done a piss poor job of it. If you don't think the majority of posters on this forum (the political forum), conservative and progressive, have no interest in anything but proving their own point and trying to sway someone else's opinion, then you need to spend more time reading and less time trying to criticize others.

The whole point of my post is that we need to be more open-minded if there's to be any discussion. Otherwise you're just trolling each other, which is a monumental waste of time.

I don't think there's a problem with trying to persuade others, or sway their opinion. I also agree that it requires also "listening" or taking seriously posts from an alternative perspective.

However, I think it is a pretty broad brush to lump together those who respond to another's post after taking it seriously with those who just attack the source of the other's data like breitbart or foxnews.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I wasn’t implying anything. I pointed out very plainly that you contradicted yourself and most of your posts are drenched in arrogance. Thanks for demonstrating the latter once again.

As to your most recent post, why would people be trying to sway others to think in a certain way? Can people really be swayed by a nameless, faceless entity? I sure hope not.