If you needed further proof that 680 are clowns...

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Chuck and Chernoff just spent the better part of 5 plus minutes of airtime lauding Kirby Smart for his handling of a particular recruit.

See if this scenario sounds familiar:

-Dwags have a commitment from a 4 star rb out of Texas

-Tom Herman comes into Texas and starts trying to woo this rb to the Longhorns

-Said recruit announces he is headed to Texas for an Official visit.

- Suddenly soon after, the recruit comes back to twitter with his tail between his legs and will not be OVing in Austin.

-The stated implication that C&C are so impressed with is that Smart had the stones to stand up to this kid and strong arm him into honoring his commitment....up to and including threatening to pull his offer.

- Chuck Oliver in lauding Smart for this states that Saban, Fisher, Harbaugh, Dabo would all do the same.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this not the same issue that these same arse clowns decided to pick a fight with CPJ about several years ago and pretty much launched the latest round of bad blood between Tech and its flagship?

If it is not, then I wasted at least a minute screaming "You have to be f'ing kidding me!!!" at the radio.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Chuck and Chernoff just spent the better part of 5 plus minutes of airtime lauding Kirby Smart for his handling of a particular recruit.

- Suddenly soon after, the recruit comes back to twitter with his tail between his legs and will not be OVing in Austin.

-The stated implication that C&C are so impressed with is that Smart had the stones to stand up to this kid and strong arm him into honoring his commitment....up to and including threatening to pull his offer.

- Chuck Oliver in lauding Smart for this states that Saban, Fisher, Harbaugh, Dabo would all do the same.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this not the same issue that these same arse clowns decided to pick a fight with CPJ about several years ago and pretty much launched the latest round of bad blood between Tech and its flagship?

If it is not, then I wasted at least a minute screaming "You have to be f'ing kidding me!!!" at the radio.

You are exactly right sir!

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Chuck and Chernoff are the worst. I will not listen to them. Surprisingly, Buck Belue is not as bad as most of the others in my opinion.

Buck actually played sports so he understands the game. The others spend most of their time talking about what they would do in a game most of them never played.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Kind of unrelated, but after the uga game, the only guy to give GT much credit was Randy McMichael (former uga tight end) on 92.9 The Game. He didn't push the narrative that uga choked, he just contended that GT made plays when they needed to and had more of a will to win. Had a lot of good things to say about a lot of GT players. Even before the game (when Rick Camla kept saying "good, old-fashioned hate") they kept trying to get a rise out of him. But they got nothing. He was pretty objective on most of his analysis.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes when you are trying to pick a fight it is hard to remember which side you used to be on. Just try to remember: it is radio. A friend of mine once was badly mischaracterized on TV because of name confusion. She called three times for a correction, being promised every time, and the fourth time the news "producer" almost cried: "Lady, what do you want? It's just TV." It's just radio.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It may just be radio, but when you are already fighting an uphill battle to build a fanbase, this kind of crap is brutal P.R.

The constant refrain that potential sidewalk fans get is "Tech sucks and the cool option for your college football dollar is UGA". I don't blame them for catering to an immense dwag fanbase, that is where the money is. What makes me angry is that part of that catering is adopting the dwag rivalry narrative about Tech.....little brother that is barely worth mentioning except to bust his balls on occasion.

That b.s. is damaging and costs us fans and dollars.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Mike Bell was actually VEry gracious and congratulatory towards GT and CPJ the next monday after cofh

Living in Augusta, I have never heard these guys, but based on what you posted, you are exactly correct in that they are now praising in not-so-Smart what others, if not themselves, condemned in Johnson

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It may just be radio, but when you are already fighting an uphill battle to build a fanbase, this kind of crap is brutal P.R.

The constant refrain that potential sidewalk fans get is "Tech sucks and the cool option for your college football dollar is UGA". I don't blame them for catering to an immense dwag fanbase, that is where the money is. What makes me angry is that part of that catering is adopting the dwag rivalry narrative about Tech.....little brother that is barely worth mentioning except to bust his balls on occasion.

That b.s. is damaging and costs us fans and dollars.

There is only one solution for this, and it will not come from anyones radio booth.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There is only one solution for this, and it will not come from anyones radio booth.

Let me guess......average 10 wins a season over the next decade and a half.

Why does Tech have to perform at a higher level than any other program in the country simply to avoid being constantly denigrated in its own hometown media market?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer

What was the particular situation/recruit did they go after CPJ that parallels this one?

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
You can still get the audio from the original link:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/5...0837.mp3?_ga=1.61940652.1207242768.1481062811

Without hearing what they said yesterday, the gist of the link is this:

- Paul Johnson believes that if you are "committed", you no longer take visits. The standard is that he isn't going to oversign the position and tell you that you no longer have a ship, and he isn't going to Greyshirt, so he expects the same out of the athlete (which is exactly what Ole Miss and Alabama does).
- Chernoff believes there is no harm in getting a "free visit".
- Paul Johnson defines his definition of commitment as no longer taking visits. If a recruit decides to take a visit, his spot is opened back up. The offer isn't pulled unless another kid accepts.
- Chernoff tries to catch Johnson in a double-standard by asking why he accepts visits and recruits athletes committed to other schools. Paul Johnson's response: If they visit, they are not committed.

I came away with the opinion that the show is more appalled that you would pull a scholarship for an athlete that visits another school, or accept a visit (and still recruit) an athlete committed at another school than coaches who deliberately oversign and grayshirt because they "found someone better".

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry for the necrobump.....but the kid they were talking about flipped his commitment to Texas today after that bastion of coaching ethics Kirby Smart yanked his offer.....not for going to Texas for an OV, but because they didnt need him anymore after Chubb and Michel said they were coming back.......some commitment.