If you guys think 680 is bad....

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
If you think 680 is bad ( in many aspects I agree, but I will leave that argument for later), I was driving through Athens this past week and I thought I would tune into their local sports talk show to see what they were saying about the game the previous Saturday.

First of all, to their credit they did state several times that GT seemed to want to win more than uga did. HOWEVER, they said a major factor in the game was the fact that it was a noon game, and a team of uga's caliber shouldn't be playing in noon games (one of the clowns even made the statement that them playing a noon game was "criminal", and uga should have just said "no" when the time was announced.

Then, one of them had a brilliant idea. He said that if a network like CBS had a noon game, instead of starting the broadcast for the next game at 3:30 or 4:00, they should start broadcasting the next game around 1:30. There was no comment made by his on-air partner about the possibility of there being an overlap in the games being broadcasted. He then stated that other schools are afraid to play uga in 1:30 games (what he meant by that I have no idea).

Then, one of them made a comment that uga should be an early favorite to win a national championship in 2018 because they are going to have 3 really good quarterbacks on their team.

Finally, they spent the next 5 minutes or so wondering where Alabama's offensive coordinator, "Lance Giffen" would be next year. They called him Lance at least 15 times during the segment.

I had to turn it off after that because I could feel the brains being sucked out of my head.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If you think 680 is bad ( in many aspects I agree, but I will leave that argument for later), I was driving through Athens this past week and I thought I would tune into their local sports talk show to see what they were saying about the game the previous Saturday.

First of all, to their credit they did state several times that GT seemed to want to win more than uga did. HOWEVER, they said a major factor in the game was the fact that it was a noon game, and a team of uga's caliber shouldn't be playing in noon games (one of the clowns even made the statement that them playing a noon game was "criminal", and uga should have just said "no" when the time was announced.

Then, one of them had a brilliant idea. He said that if a network like CBS had a noon game, instead of starting the broadcast for the next game at 3:30 or 4:00, they should start broadcasting the next game around 1:30. There was no comment made by his on-air partner about the possibility of there being an overlap in the games being broadcasted. He then stated that other schools are afraid to play uga in 1:30 games (what he meant by that I have no idea).

Then, one of them made a comment that uga should be an early favorite to win a national championship in 2018 because they are going to have 3 really good quarterbacks on their team.

Finally, they spent the next 5 minutes or so wondering where Alabama's offensive coordinator, "Lance Giffen" would be next year. They called him Lance at least 15 times during the segment.

I had to turn it off after that because I could feel the brains being sucked out of my head.

What can you say about the radio talent in the Metro Winder area?????? :D

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
If you read any of the Dawg Nation articles in the AJC, there's little mention at all about the loss to Tech. The articles talk about the necessity of beating Florida, and how they should never lose to Vanderbilt or Kentucky in any given year, but not too much about Tech. It's kind of like the Soviet reaction to losing to the Americans in Lake Placid... report that it happened, give minimal commentary, then move on... nothing to see.

The UGA game is still the most important game on the schedule to many Tech fans; however, to UGA we're more of an annoying irritant. It's ironic that their biggest rivals (Florida, Auburn and Tennessee) view UGA essentially the same way; if not irritants, at least as secondary rivals. Florida's main rival is still FSU, even though it's out-of-conference. Auburn looks to Alabama as its main rival. And I think Tennessee sees Florida as their biggest opponent. If Tech won the UGA game more often, even to the tune of 1 out of 3, it would make the rivalry much better, which in turn would be better for both programs...

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not understand the negative about noon games. For 70 years most games started at 1:00 PM.

Don't know, but it might be a bit of a disadvantage for the home team to play at noon, when guys are still waking up and getting the cobwebs out of their eyes. The travelling team might be more "awake". But it looks like UGA's argument is that they're too good of a program to be relegated to 12:00 games, which is a different story...

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If you read any of the Dawg Nation articles in the AJC, there's little mention at all about the loss to Tech. The articles talk about the necessity of beating Florida, and how they should never lose to Vanderbilt or Kentucky in any given year, but not too much about Tech. It's kind of like the Soviet reaction to losing to the Americans in Lake Placid... report that it happened, give minimal commentary, then move on... nothing to see.

The UGA game is still the most important game on the schedule to many Tech fans; however, to UGA we're more of an annoying irritant. It's ironic that their biggest rivals (Florida, Auburn and Tennessee) view UGA essentially the same way; if not irritants, at least as secondary rivals. Florida's main rival is still FSU, even though it's out-of-conference. Auburn looks to Alabama as its main rival. And I think Tennessee sees Florida as their biggest opponent. If Tech won the UGA game more often, even to the tune of 1 out of 3, it would make the rivalry much better, which in turn would be better for both programs...
All fans are different, but the UT grads I knew were Kentucky > Alabama > Vandy in order of rivalry. Where Alabama switched for a good bit of them.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The first 20 or so trips I made to Grant Field were for 1:00 pm games. Late breakfast before the game and Camellia Gardens for a cocktail and an early dinner before the long drive back to NW Georgia.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Ac

Actually, Tech games always started at 2:00 in the 50s thru 70s. We had classes on Saturdays thru 11:00 am, and players were actually in attendance.
When I went, beginning in 1970, games were at 1:00. Although there were still Saturday classes, most profs didn't enforce Saturday attendance, especially on home game Saturdays.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete

You were prob listening to 960 The Ref. All of their talking heads are dwag grads. They only have a morning and afternoon segment. They simulcast ESPN radio during the day. They're def not trying to come across as "unbiased" like the ATL stations. When I worked over there I actually enjoyed listening to that station because they mainly talked college football, plus they hated us. They were also pretty ignorant and ill informed on any program other than UGA. It was just funny listening to their ignorance. Jeff Dantzler, their afternoon guy, predicted a 2016 natty a couple years ago because Eason was coming in. Also of note, a friend of mine is one of their talking heads from time to time...they refer to him as "Tech Fan Eric."

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
The UGA game is still the most important game on the schedule to many Tech fans; however, to UGA we're more of an annoying irritant. It's ironic that their biggest rivals (Florida, Auburn and Tennessee) view UGA essentially the same way; if not irritants, at least as secondary rivals.

We're an irritant because they've dominated us the last 20 years. I can guarantee you this: if we take them to the woodshed next year in Atlanta their fans will be up in arms about firing Kirby and how they need to beat their main rival.

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
They see us as an irritant because 1) they've beaten us a lot over the last 2 decades and 2) fans (and general human nature) aspire to compete at a higher level than they actually are.

Uga is 6-21 vs Florida since 1990, and we are 7-20 vs UGA over the same time period (and really, they can thank Muschamp for half of those 6 wins). However, if you told a dawg fan that they were less competitive against Florida than we are against them, they would flip out, because they want to believe they are consistently on Florida (and Alabama, etc)'s level.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

It is all part of a State of Georgia plan, dont talk or mention it as little as you can and act like it didnt happen. If UGAG had won we would be hearing it 24-7 its the media.