If you could....

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
If you could build an offense using 11 of the GT greats and any base set...

Who would your Offensive Coordinator be?
Who would be your starters?
What would your base set be?

OC - Ralph Friedgen

Offensive scheme - Pistol (3WR Spread)
- 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 FB,

QB - Joe Hamilton
HB - Jonathan Dwyer
FB - Ed Wilder
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Demaryious Thomas
WR - Kelly Campbell
LT - Jon Carman
LG - John Davis
C - Michael Cheever
RG - Mike Mooney
RT - Nat Dorsey

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
If you could build an offense using 11 of the GT greats and any base set...

Who would your Offensive Coordinator be?
Who would be your starters?
What would your base set be?

OC - Ralph Friedgen

Offensive scheme - Pistol (3WR Spread)
- 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 FB,

QB - Joe Hamilton
HB - Jonathan Dwyer
FB - Ed Wilder
WR - Calvin Johnson
WR - Demaryious Thomas
WR - Kelly Campbell
LT - Jon Carman
LG - John Davis
C - Michael Cheever
RG - Mike Mooney
RT - Nat Dorsey
Like everything about your list but must travel back to coach pepper. Slide Eddie lee in place of Dwyer and Kent hill in place of carman.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not to hijack this thread, but I would have LOVED to see Donnie Davis in Friedgen's offense. The offense he was suppose to run before Ross, O'Leary, and Friedgen left for the NFL. I think he probably would have performed at a higher level than Little Joe did. Davis was so physically gifted.

Another "what if" I've always been curious about was if Gailey was given another year or two.

QB - Sean Renfree (top 10 pro QB committed to us before CPJ got here), JfN as the "wildcat"/option QB for changeup (if they didn't move him to safety)
WR- Demaryius Thomas
WR - DJ Donley (would have stayed under Gailey and actually done school work instead of trying to get out of GT)
RB - Jonathan Dwyer/Roddy Jones
FB - Lucas Cox
TE - Colin Peek (very good receiving TE that transferred to 'Bama when CPJ got here. Had a nice career there)

So much talent right there, not to mention the OL talent in Andrew Gardner, Cord Howard, and the OLs Gailey recruited for his offense.

Back to the OP.

I would stick with Friedgen's offense. That offense was a joy to watch, as he was mixing in option concepts with pro passing concepts even back in the early '90's. I think it may have been ahead of its time.

QB: Shawn Jones/Joe Hamilton (just because those two were lights out in it and know the offense)
WR: Calvin Johnson
WR: Demaryius Thomas
SR: Jonathan Smith / Derrick Steagall / Kerry Watkins / Robby Godhigh
RB: Jon Dwyer/PJ Daniels/Tashard Choice
FB: Mike Cox or Ed Wilder
TE: Can't really think of any GT standouts

Those are just the skill guys. My memory of the GT team doesn't go that far back so most of those guys are from the last 25 years.

Like everything about your list but must travel back to coach pepper. Slide Eddie lee in place of Dwyer and Kent hill in place of carman.

Offensive Coordinator, Jack Griffin Base set Power I

qb Rick Strom
HB Billy Teas
HB Leon Hardeman
FB William Bennett
WR Calvin Johnson
WR Kelly Campbell
WR Drew Hill
C Bill Curry
G Rufus Guthrie
G John Davis
T Bill Shaw
T Bill Myddleton
TE Billy Martin

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think CPJ’s offense currently would be unstoppable with Calvin and Bebe at WR and Lil’ Joe at QB. Defenses would have to play 2 deep safeties and if you throw in your best selection of offensive linemen and RB’s in there I think we’re solid. I would say maybe Nesbitt at QB but he did have a tendency to throw some really bad passes so I think Joe would be the better fit. And I think Eddie Lee Ivory would be a beast of a BB.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

.... and maybe Shawn Jones at QB. Dorsey, Hill, Cheever, Mooney and Davis would be one helluva an OL! Bey Bey and Calvin, Wilder leading the way for Ivery, Martin at TE. I would replace Campbell with Drew Hill in 3 wide sets.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
.... and maybe Shawn Jones at QB. Dorsey, Hill, Cheever, Mooney and Davis would be one helluva an OL! Bey Bey and Calvin, Wilder leading the way for Ivery, Martin at TE. I would replace Campbell with Drew Hill in 3 wide sets.
David Sims (from Pepper's team) at BB and Eddie Lee Ivery at AB.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
QB: lothridge (wasn't alive to see him play, love watching his tape tho)
RB: Eddie lee Ivry/tony hollings
FB: mike cox
TE: peak (was a damn good TE before transferring)
X: Calvin Johnson
Z: Thomas
Y: Campbell
OT: Gardner
OT: Dorsey
OG: Davis
OG: mason(I think he's a lot better than he's credited for, and he's credited as all-ACC)
C: Bedford(wasn't most talented guy I could choose, but he makes all the guys around him better)
I-formation base, with shotgun sets.
Would pick Ralph to coordinate the O and make him place emphasis on run game.

WDE: Micheal Johnson/Derrick Morgan
SDE: Greg gathers
3: Vance walker
1: gostis
LB:attauchu
MLB: Phillip wheeler
Lb: Gary guyton
CB:jamea Thomas
Cb: Morgan Burnett
Fs: James butler
SS: Chris reis
(Shuffled the last three because I can't think of any other great DBS we've had

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Offensive Coordinator: Paul Johnson, current offense.

QB: Hamilton
WR: C. Johnson
WR: D. Thomas
AB: Hollings
AB: Godhigh
BB: Dwyer
LT: D. Lutz
LG: Davis
C: Cheever
RG: Carmen
RT: Gardner

There would be no stopping this offense. The ability to stretch the field and win the jump ball deep would open the flood gates in the run game with 4 pretty dynamic runners.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

There would be no stopping this offense. The ability to stretch the field and win the jump ball deep would open the flood gates in the run game with 4 pretty dynamic runners.

I love that you put Hollings at AB. Excellent choice. I still hate how things panned out for that guy.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow

I think mine would be the same. Im 22 so I don't remember all of the lineman so I'm going to take your word bc I don't remember any amazing lineman we have. Only difference I would replace Godhigh with Ivory. Or Kelly Campbell or Charlie Rogers(he was the punt returner right)?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think mine would be the same. Im 22 so I don't remember all of the lineman so I'm going to take your word bc I don't remember any amazing lineman we have. Only difference I would replace Godhigh with Ivory. Or Kelly Campbell or Charlie Rogers(he was the punt returner right)?
Interesting, I thought long and hard about Campbell at AB as well. In the end, I was worried about his blocking. I didn't think about Charlie Rogers though. Talk about a guy made for AB! A 22 year old going with Ivory? Heck, I am 52 and even I never saw him play. Could not be a bad choice though. Obviously the guy was a great runner.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Interesting, I thought long and hard about Campbell at AB as well. In the end, I was worried about his blocking. I didn't think about Charlie Rogers though. Talk about a guy made for AB! A 22 year old going with Ivory? Heck, I am 52 and even I never saw him play. Could not be a bad choice though. Obviously the guy was a great runner.
You had basically my same offense but I lack the knowledge to name off enough great lineman too. I think you could plug anyone capable of blocking and not fumbling at AB and you’d be solid. The downfield threat alone would ruin any defense and if they tried to play off the WR we could just throw the little quick pass to CJ like we always did and let him stiff arm every from there.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Haha the Ivory one was just bc I have heard he was the truth.