IF THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS

Techster

Helluva Engineer
But there’s still a difference. As much as FSU, Texas. Florida, USC, Penn State, Auburn, Miami, and the like are “committed” to having a successful football program, they are not spending anywhere close to what Georgia and Bama are spending. Even places like Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma aren’t. Georgia outspends everybody in recruiting, and Alabama is a close second, but nobody is as committed to battling it out as those 2 are. It looks like Texas A&M may be trying to get to that level, but they’ve still got a long way to go.

Just look at their rosters. Georgia has 19 five stars on their roster. That NINE more than Clemson, TWELVE more than Oklahoma FOURTEEN more than Texas, and EIGHTEEN more than Notre Dame. Those are 4 major names and contenders in college football, and 3 of them have played in the CFP in the last 3 years, and Clemson won it all just 4 years ago. When there’s that big of a disparity in the makeup of rosters there’s nothing anybody can do. Georgia has as many 5* players on their roster as Ole Miss has 4* players. And they have more 5* players than Wisconsin, Michigan State, Utah, Pitt, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Iowa and every other program in the country. Those are teams that played in NY6 bowls and for their conference championships, and they aren’t even remotely in the same league as Georgia and Alabama are. Talent disparity has never been greater at any level of major sport.

I would expect the spending to go into hyperdrive in the SEC now that Texas and OU are joining. Keeping up with the Joneses is about to get expensive...and THAT is why SEC is making the moves it's making. They know with the changing landscape, they have to make moves to secure it's future and stomp the competition (every other conference).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Like it or not, some of the talent disparity/UGA talent advantage is on GT pretty much not competing for in-state talent in terms of being a realistic destination for an NFL future or an opportunity to play for national titles.
10 of their 19 five stars aren’t even from the state of Georgia. Many of them aren’t even from the southeast. Georgia Tech is irrelevant to the players they are recruiting. They are competing with Alabama, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Clemson when they recruit players. Georgia Tech might as well be UNLV. They’re pulling in players who just 10-15 years ago were probably going to places like USC, Texas, Oregon, Michigan, Florida State, Miami, Auburn, and even places like Virginia Tech, Arizona State, and Nebraska.

They’re recruiting and signing the best players nationally, not just in-state. That’s what’s taken them to the elite level they’re at now. They’ve always had the best talent in Georgia, and they were winning 8-10 games a year. Now that they’re getting the best talent from all over and have created a top 4 program in the country.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I would expect the spending to go into hyperdrive in the SEC now that Texas and OU are joining. Keeping up with the Joneses is about to get expensive...and THAT is why SEC is making the moves it's making. They know with the changing landscape, they have to make moves to secure it's future and stomp the competition (every other conference).
The SEC is on a mission to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to basically just completely regionalize the sport of college football. It's quite a strategy.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many tv viewers from outside the southeast even watched the championship game. It had very little appeal outside the SE other than avid football fans. Viewers are what drive TV revenue and that could drive changes in playoffs. IMO Alabama was the conference champion and they should be the only team from the SEC in the 4 team playoff. Only conference champions should be in it. This is the second time this has happened with SEC schools.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many tv viewers from outside the southeast even watched the championship game. It had very little appeal outside the SE other than avid football fans. Viewers are what drive TV revenue and that could drive changes in playoffs. IMO Alabama was the conference champion and they should be the only team from the SEC in the 4 team playoff. Only conference champions should be in it. This is the second time this has happened with SEC schools.
But that would make all OOC games moot pertaining to the national championship. That seems a problem to me.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Excluding the COVID year of 2021 when most people lost interest in many sports, the UGA/Bama game had the lowest TV ratings for a college football championship game since 2005.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If the sec pumps put money to regionalize football and the championship, you can bet it's going to have a new england effect .
Money from TV can't continue to do well with that.

This is where I am all for Cfb forcing to make things more level.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if that model is sustainable in the long run. Sure after our last 5 or 6 years the Hunts Frozen Pizza Bowl in Waycross will be great. But what if we get beat by Uga and Clemson by 45 points along the way? Will we be happy knowing that we are, if not officially, playing on a lower level than the top 6-8 teams?

Years ago, a 7 win, bowl type team could compete with the top 5 - 10 teams on any given day. How many times have we seen GT play the spoiler role as a big underdog? Remember a 1 win GT team beating Bama in B'ham? Or a winless GT team playing the number 1 ND team to a 3-3 tie. I am not sure that this is the case anymore. Outside of Bama, did anyone really test Uga this year?
Clemson tested UG.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have to say I’m shocked how low key them winning it all is. The people I know and general public I’m around is business as usual, no big deal vibe. I’m not so sure people give a **** anymore.
I’m seeing people wearing uga hats now that I never saw before. The random guy walking his dog, the postman, septic tank service guy, bag boy at the grocery store…all coming out of the closet now, or perhaps jumping on the bandwagon.

But pretty quiet for sure, but then again I’m avoiding public places at the moment.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to say I’m shocked how low key them winning it all is. The people I know and general public I’m around is business as usual, no big deal vibe. I’m not so sure people give a **** anymore.

I’m seeing people wearing uga hats now that I never saw before. The random guy walking his dog, the postman, septic tank service guy, bag boy at the grocery store…all coming out of the closet now, or perhaps jumping on the bandwagon.

But pretty quiet for sure, but then again I’m avoiding public places at the moment.

Truth be told....and this comes from my mom's side of the family who are Dwag alum that I've spoken to since Monday night as I thought it would be unbearable...It's a big deal to them, but they just aren't concerned with rubbing it in Tech fans faces. They don't view us as anything but an auto win on the schedule these days akin to Vanderbilt. They are being obnoxious to the Bama fans, Gator fans, Volunteer fans, Auburn fans that they consider rivals. I think we, as a fan base, built up this unbearable existence with their fans once they won a natty, mostly out of our own doing.

Just my $0.02

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree- If Oklahoma State would have won their game it may have knocked uga out- but they missed the winning TD by inches. uga was very fortunate to get a second chance and have no injury issues (like Alabama did)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Truth be told....and this comes from my mom's side of the family who are Dwag alum that I've spoken to since Monday night as I thought it would be unbearable...It's a big deal to them, but they just aren't concerned with rubbing it in Tech fans faces. They don't view us as anything but an auto win on the schedule these days akin to Vanderbilt. They are being obnoxious to the Bama fans, Gator fans, Volunteer fans, Auburn fans that they consider rivals. I think we, as a fan base, built up this unbearable existence with their fans once they won a natty, mostly out of our own doing.

Just my $0.02

Just my $0.02
I was in a large business meeting this morning, with lots of biz owners, elected officials, etc.

At the beginning, someone said "how about them dawgs". Before I could stop myself, I replied "piss on em".

Oops. Might not get invited back to that group next year.

Attachments

• 29BC45F6-12B7-4144-9CEA-5BB531E15E4E.jpeg
    29BC45F6-12B7-4144-9CEA-5BB531E15E4E.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 28

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I was in a large business meeting this morning, with lots of biz owners, elected officials, etc.

At the beginning, someone said "how about them dawgs". Before I could stop myself, I replied "piss on em".

Attachments

• DF6C41D7-22C5-41D4-BEFB-05546723B7D2.jpeg
    DF6C41D7-22C5-41D4-BEFB-05546723B7D2.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 10

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
On Twitter last night I saw lots of ads for uga paraphernalia. One was a T-shirt with a dog paw sporting 3 national championship rings. THAT’S the uga mindset. Proud they have 3 championships and oblivious that Tech has 4. They are one of the least self-conscious fan bases I know of.
They know more are coming right around the corner, and literally nobody but us cares about how many Nattys we have

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Just remember, the right thing to do isn't always easy. It wasn't easy for early Americans to stand up and fight against the biggest Empire in the world at the time...the British Empire, but stand up and fight they did.