IF THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This is actually a better idea than most will realize. I don't get why we don't have soccer....
Title 1X. Then would need another women's non revenue sport. I live near Duke and UNC. Both have top soccer programs that get hardly any attendance other than some students.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
sadly it's in % increase, going from 100 to 493, gave us a 393% increase!.
We're #78 in followers/subscribers...

1641913218909.png

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Best 2 out of 3 maybe? I have to admit as an avid CFB fan, I didn't even watch this game. Just really an SEC championship rematch.
I too have always been an avid college football fan, and I watched every minute last night, despondent for the last quarter or so. But, my take away after the game was that I’m not sure I will watch in the future, whether it be these teams, other teams, or our team slogging in irrelevance. Unless you are a fan of one of the 4 or so teams that have won 85% or so of the playoff games since the inception of the playoff, then what’s the point and who cares. I think all other programs will fade from relevancy and their fan bases will wither away. Then even the dominant winning programs will become irrelevant, because what’s the point if there is no one left to compete with.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
The defeatist attitude surrounding this program is thick and very toxic. I can’t really be mad at it though.

Just viewing the whole landscape of CFB and the state of our current program, it’s hard not to let the negative creep in.

But no matter how dark it may get, I can still say it.

To HELL with georgia. Piss on them dawgs.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it time to renew the discussion over dropping down to the FCS level? Is it better to be the small fish in the bigger pond or the big fish in the smaller pond? Reportedly, the FCS division’s average game attendance in 2019 was between 7,000 and 8,000 and, with the way our program is heading, we could probably hit that number before too long…
No need for discussion. What will be will be. We may not recognize the football landscape within 10 years.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
You are not wrong. WTBS, if you think this is solely an issue of CGC vs. Kirby Smart I would have to disagree. Strongly. it's not even an issue of CPJ vs. CKS either. I think the gap was becoming evident at the end of his tenure. The problem is bigger and starts at a level higher than the HC and perhaps even the AD. This is not an endorsement of our coach fwiw. I am saying that changing coaches is NOT a panacea if GT truly does want to compete at the level we saw last night. They would say they do of course (except for Dave Braine who told us effectively that we are what we are). i don't believe they mean it however. I think the status quo is fine.

The sports you mention. Yes, we can compete in them. Why? I believe the real reason is twofold (beyond the coaching which I agree is a necessary component)- the teams are much smaller (you can have a nucleus of 2-3 guys and have a strong golf team) and they don't generate revenue. therefore, they don't get the full attention and resolve of the AD's at the power schools. One natty in FB is worth 10,000 of them in the minor (non-revenue) sports. If softball generated as much cash as FB, I think the same schools would dominate in them if they set their minds to do so.
It’s absolutely not Kirby vs Collins- Smart would probably do no better at Tech with the resources he would have- he gets any coach and analyst he wants, any upgrade he wants, and probably any player just about that he wants. Texas A&M will be trying to outspend everyone now and I would not be surprised if they win one in the next few years

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The funny thing is that I am just as excited about Tech football as I was last week. What’s completely changed in me is my opinion of the rivalry and especially national championships in football. I’ll admit that I’m incredibly biased here, but every bit of the bad taste the Bama-LSU championship left from after the 2011 season came rushing back tenfold. What’s the meaning of being a national champion? Is it the best team that season? You can’t really make that case effectively in either case because the the head-to-head record is 1-1. In fact, it could be argued that in 2011 Bama earned a bye week by losing to LSU since they didn’t have to play in the conference championship game to get to the national title game. If a team wins its conference, the idea is supposed to be that the team in question is the best team in the conference. How, then, can it be argued that another team in the conference is better without dismissing the results of actual games as meaningless? And once we start doing that, how do we decide which games actually matter?

Or to put it another way, why do two games provide a more conclusive decision than one game of which team is better? Bama lost to Texas A&M, a team that georgie didn’t even play at all. What does that have to do with the head-to-head between Bama and georgie? Why does Bama have to beat georgie twice to prove superiority, but georgie only has to do so once (while getting two chances to do so)? It’s just so incongruous and subjective as to make it rather meaningless. At least conferences have very clear, specific, and impartial conditions of victory.

Long story short, I’m done caring about any kind of “relevance” beyond the conference. This year was the most fun the ACC has been in a long time, and wouldn’t you know it, it’s the first time in a long time that neither Clemson nor FSU was a step above the rest.

Our rivalry with georgie was fun while it lasted, but our athletic departments are so different at this point that we might as well have a rivalry with the Atlanta Falcons. The point of watching sports is entertainment, and if I’m being honest, COFH is neither fun nor entertaining for me anymore. It was fun when they at least pretended not to be a professional sports team, but those days are over, and I don’t think they’re coming back. Thank goodness I don’t live in Georgia right now, and the worst fans I have to deal with are WSU or Oregon fans, which don’t even come close to the awfulness of the barking, slobbering masses in Athens. Sorry, this got really long and ranting, but my point is that I’m done giving a rat’s *** about the Georgia Bulldogs or the College Football Playoffs.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
The people I work with that I regularly talk football with that are Uga fans have been happy but not obnoxious today. But lord the people who only watched last night as their first game of the year to bandwagon Uga and never cared 2 sec about football before it have been the absolute worst around me today. Rubbing it in constantly. They couldn’t even name the Uga QB if I asked but bark bark bark how bout dem dawgs etc from the second I showed up

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
You are not wrong. WTBS, if you think this is solely an issue of CGC vs. Kirby Smart I would have to disagree. Strongly. it's not even an issue of CPJ vs. CKS either. I think the gap was becoming evident at the end of his tenure. The problem is bigger and starts at a level higher than the HC and perhaps even the AD. This is not an endorsement of our coach fwiw. I am saying that changing coaches is NOT a panacea if GT truly does want to compete at the level we saw last night. They would say they do of course (except for Dave Braine who told us effectively that we are what we are). i don't believe they mean it however. I think the status quo is fine.

The sports you mention. Yes, we can compete in them. Why? I believe the real reason is twofold (beyond the coaching which I agree is a necessary component)- the teams are much smaller (you can have a nucleus of 2-3 guys and have a strong golf team) and they don't generate revenue. therefore, they don't get the full attention and resolve of the AD's at the power schools. One natty in FB is worth 10,000 of them in the minor (non-revenue) sports. If softball generated as much cash as FB, I think the same schools would dominate in them if they set their minds to do so.
The gap was widening pre CPJ. Doing “something different” aka the 3O bought us some time where we were competitive and at least had a punchers chance against top teams but that chance waned with time, with negative recruiting and rule changes also contributing. The gap has never been wider now as UGA has zoomed up and we’ve cliff dived into an empty pool.

Good times.