If the ACC scraps divisions...

Would you like the ACC to keep permanent rivals for football scheduling?

• Yes

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 76 68.5%

• Total voters

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
How does having clempson in our "pod" any different than playing them as we do now? It's still 1 game, win or lose, as the ACC looked at the conference record not the division record. And why do you not enjoy the clemzon game? Great fanbase. Great stadium to travel to. Close enough to have a strong GT section. They travel well. And have only been "unbeatable" only very recently. Of course our 3-9 team was this close to derailing their season less than 10 months ago.
You will be competing for 2nd place against potentially multiple teams that didn't have an automatic loss against Clemson. I am rooting for BC, Duke, and Syracuse to be in our pod. That would give us a great shot to go 3-0 every season. Win 4 of the remaining 5 and you're in the championship and anything goes in a Best of 1, even if it's harder competition than you've faced all season.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
You will be competing for 2nd place against potentially multiple teams that didn't have an automatic loss against Clemson. I am rooting for BC, Duke, and Syracuse to be in our pod. That would give us a great shot to go 3-0 every season. Win 4 of the remaining 5 and you're in the championship and anything goes in a Best of 1, even if it's harder competition than you've faced all season.
What about when those teams but together a really decent run? "You'd" (meaning fans) be complaining about them. Don't become like the mutts, complaining about having to play Florida in Gainesville when they were getting whipped year in and year out, but you haven't heard any complaining about it lately have you?
If they go regional we will be with Miami, F$U and clempson. Who would have thought in their heyday that F$U would be where they are? Clempson will come back to earth, same as many teams before them have and will be a toss-up game on many schedules.
Bottom line is, as it always is, just win. No telling the confidence boost we get if we were able to pull that one out last year. We have a very commanding lead vs clempson all time and I really enjoyed the nip and tuck games that often happen when we meet. Sure the several times the last 6 to 8 years it hasnt happened, but they will again.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
This. To hell with playing Clemson every season
Yep. It always annoyed me that our permanent crossover opponent counted towards our ACC record each year, whereas some drew Wake Forest, Duke, BC, or Syracuse as their permanent crossover, so almost always had an extra game advantage over us. Always thought the permanent crossover shouldn't count in the Coastal or Atlantic standings.

Going to have to rethink this if we move to a pods model, though...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UNC has played Wake recently as an out of conference game. Good rivalry but still doesn't count as an ACC game.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
The Clemson game has never kept us from winning the coastal or out of an ACCCG. There is nothing but upside playing Clemson every year. But some of y'all want to play what-if games as if playing a historic rival that will always generate lots of interest and full seats and great atmosphere really does suck.

More games against BC and Syracuse is just what we need.

I'll never understand some of you easy schedule guys.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The Clemson game has never kept us from winning the coastal or out of an ACCCG. There is nothing but upside playing Clemson every year. But some of y'all want to play what-if games as if playing a historic rival that will always generate lots of interest and full seats and great atmosphere really does suck.

Just play them out of conference like UNC and Wake do if we want to keep the yearly game. I am not opposed to playing Clemson every year. I think having locked cross conference games is bad and should done away with.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck

How many mid major teams bemoan their schedules? "We're playing everyone we can, but no one wants to schedule us!" We have opportunities against top teams that 75% of the country would kill for. It's time to stop blaming the tough schedule and find ways to return to glory.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Not until the NBC deal nears an end, 2025 is their last years as of now. And heard reports of BIG10 also partnering with NBC, which could help the ACC lure ND.
One way to potentially make this work is let ND keep their NBC contract for football and reduce their conference allocation (we did that in 2020). That means they still get National Exposure they want but not additional monies. If ND becomes part of the picture, I would say we go to a 9 game ACC schedule. 3 crossovers and 6 others per year. I would also say this is the time to tell ND they are either in or out. We still hold onto the hope they will join the ACC but the reality is football is the big money maker and they don't help us much in that area currently with their half in and half our approach. That gives ND guaranteed games but doesn't give us leverage with ESPN to increase funding. Even if ND home games were kept with NBC, having ND really in the fold would still give the ACC some leverage with ESPN. My last point is I think this proposed scheduling flexibility is setting up for the eventual 12 team playoff. I think they are trying to give the conferences additional flexibility for scheduling to help with that.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be shocked if the 4 NC schools aren't the permanent 3 for each other and it does make alot of sense from a history standpoint.

I'm all for scrapping the divisions. It'll basically be the top 2 teams playing in the Championship game (likely to be decided as the top 2 ACC teams in the CFP poll).

You can make predictions about some of the likely permanent opponents.
BC - Syracuse, Pitt
Clemson - GT
Duke - UNC, NCST, Wake
FSU - Miami
GT - Clemson
L'ville - ?
Miami - FSU
UNC - Duke, NCST, Wake
NCST - UNC, Duke, Wake
Pitt - Syracuse, BC
Syracuse - BC, Pitt
UVA - VT
VT - UVA
Wake - Duke, UNC, NCST

I would like to see VT be one of our permanents. Knowing we won't get any of the NC schools I sort of like either UVA or Pitt as a possible third.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I would be shocked if the 4 NC schools aren't the permanent 3 for each other and it does make alot of sense from a history standpoint.

I'm all for scrapping the divisions. It'll basically be the top 2 teams playing in the Championship game (likely to be decided as the top 2 ACC teams in the CFP poll).

BC - Syracuse, Pitt
Clemson - GT
Duke - UNC, NCST, Wake
FSU - Miami
GT - Clemson
L'ville - ?
Miami - FSU
UNC - Duke, NCST, Wake
NCST - UNC, Duke, Wake
Pitt - Syracuse, BC
Syracuse - BC, Pitt
UVA - VT
VT - UVA
Wake - Duke, UNC, NCST

I would like to see VT be one of our permanents. Knowing we won't get any of the NC schools I sort of like either UVA or Pitt as a possible third.
I think GT-Duke stays as a permanent opponent. Nearly 90 straight years playing each other. I don't see Duke-NCST as a real rivalry. They both hate UNC.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow

BC - Syracuse, Pitt
Clemson - GT
Duke - UNC, NCST, Wake
FSU - Miami
GT - Clemson
L'ville - ?
Miami - FSU
UNC - Duke, NCST, Wake
NCST - UNC, Duke, Wake
Pitt - Syracuse, BC
Syracuse - BC, Pitt
UVA - VT
VT - UVA
Wake - Duke, UNC, NCST

Red - if it helps, I saw this on another Tech fan site as a rumored 3-5-5 setup:

Potential permanent opponents?
Boston College —
Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Clemson — NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State
Duke — North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech
Florida State — Miami, Clemson, Syracuse
Georgia Tech — Clemson, Duke, Louisville
Louisville — Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech
Miami — Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh
North Carolina — Duke, NC State, Virginia
NC State — Clemson, Wake Forest, North Carolina
Pittsburgh — Louisville, Miami, Syracuse
Syracuse — Boston College, Florida State, Pittsburgh
Virginia — Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Wake Forest
Virginia Tech — Virginia, Louisville, Boston College
Wake Forest — Duke, NC State, Virginia

The consensus fan favorites for Tech would be Clemson, Duke, and F$U, but a Warchant article yesterday quoted the F$U AD saying wtte that he didn't want Tech as a permanent opponent due to "other considerations".

ND would still be played as an OOC no less than once every two years per the current contract with them.

Personally, I don't want permanent locked-in opponents. The scheduling can be worked out for the five teams not played in a given year to be rotated for competitive balance. If there's a team you want to play so desperately, for the years they rotate out, you play them as an OOC game (it wouldn't count in the calculation of conference standings and tie-breakers) like UNC and Wake did last year.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

You said a lot that makes a lot of sense.... but I am nitpicking on the bolded.
Oh dear Lord NO!
I hope you mean the league tie breakers will likely result in the top two CFP teams playing in the ACCCG and not that the ACC would consider that poll as the determining factor!
I know we’re all speculating, but the conference had better have its own set of tie breakers based on performance in conference games. The CFP Poll standings should be somewhere around 4 or 5 in order of operations

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Red - if it helps, I saw this on another Tech fan site as a rumored 3-5-5 setup:

Potential permanent opponents?
Boston College —
Miami, Syracuse, Virginia Tech
Clemson — NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State
Duke — North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech
Florida State — Miami, Clemson, Syracuse
Georgia Tech — Clemson, Duke, Louisville
Louisville — Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech
Miami — Florida State, Boston College, Pittsburgh
North Carolina — Duke, NC State, Virginia
NC State — Clemson, Wake Forest, North Carolina
Pittsburgh — Louisville, Miami, Syracuse
Syracuse — Boston College, Florida State, Pittsburgh
Virginia — Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Wake Forest
Virginia Tech — Virginia, Louisville, Boston College
Wake Forest — Duke, NC State, Virginia

The consensus fan favorites for Tech would be Clemson, Duke, and F$U, but a Warchant article yesterday quoted the F$U AD saying wtte that he didn't want Tech as a permanent opponent due to "other considerations".

ND would still be played as an OOC no less than once every two years per the current contract with them.

Personally, I don't want permanent locked-in opponents. The scheduling can be worked out for the five teams not played in a given year to be rotated for competitive balance. If there's a team you want to play so desperately, for the years they rotate out, you play them as an OOC game (it wouldn't count in the calculation of conference standings and tie-breakers) like UNC and Wake did last year.
No offense to Louisville, I have great respect for their program, but making a team we have played 2 times in our history a permanent rival is pretty lame.