If the ACC scraps divisions...

Would you like the ACC to keep permanent rivals for football scheduling?

• Yes

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • No

Votes: 76 68.5%

• Total voters

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The end of divisions is back on the table for discussion, for implementation as soon as the 2023 season.

Questions:
  1. What would you like to see as the new scheduling model?
  2. What do you think the ACC will do?
  3. Would you prefer to maintain permanent rivals that we see on the schedule every year?
Poll included for the last question.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson, FSU, VT would be the obvious choices from a historic perspective, but I feel that we'd push back on that.

Clemson, FSU, and Duke might make sense

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Interesting discussion. I like the idea of seeing all teams every two years. Rival wise, Clemson, VT, Duke, and FSU would seem to be the best historical, geographical fits. Not sure how to pick from the group.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m fine with scrapping divisions, but I’m only okay with permanent rival games if they’re out of conference games. My biggest gripe with the Coastal Division has always been that we’re the only team in it that has to play Clemson every year. Some of my favorite memories are of beating Clemson, but you just have to admit that it’s a distinct disadvantage having that game affect division standing every year while UVA is sitting over there with their annual opponent being Louisville.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks good until it’s time to pick the 2 for the title. It will be very BCS like trying to choose between 4 : 10-2 teams to play a 12-0 or 11-1 team.
tie breakers. i mean, if we ever got the true coastal chaos where everyone finished 4-4, they would have had to pick someone and it would have been based on whatever level of tie breakers it took. this is a lot easier to do with conferences since they have a lot of commonality. with the BCS it was a lot harder to have that and it just took voters to figure it out which people hated.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I voted No, but will miss the Clemson every year. I just think that it is better to play everybody on a more regular basis.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Wait a minute.... 3-5-5. That’s 13 opponents... Irish gone? I say good riddance!

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Instead of scrapping divisions, I'd rather the ACC move to at least a 9 game conference schedule to keep and build some type of semblances of yearly "Traditions" and "Conference" rivalries.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why would we scrap the championship game? Just make it the two best records in the conference. Could be a rematch but that could happen today.
They would never scrap the championship game. The oversight committee is talking about scrapping requirements for the game, thereby making it possible to have one without divisions.