IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
There is a proven winner out there who probably is looking for a redemption tour, because he needs redeeming.
But he can coach. He also needs to adjust his own attitude.

Gregg Marshall.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My vote is for Marshall. Love this from a former player at Wichita St
20201010_012704.jpg

Don't forget, he resigned AND was paid close to $8,000,000 by the school. Schools dont pay a dime if they can fire with cause.

slugboy

Staff member
My vote is for Marshall. Love this from a former player at Wichita St

Don't forget, he resigned AND was paid close to $8,000,000 by the school. Schools dont pay a dime if they can fire with cause.

That’s like saying “no one takes a plea deal when they’re innocent” or “no one settles a case when they didn’t do anything wrong”. It’s not true.

Another way of interpreting the same facts is that it was worth 8 MILLION DOLLARS to WICHITA STATE to tell him to get lost. They just fired their replacement coach Isaac Brown, and they don’t seem to be thinking of Gregg Marshall. If there’s a team in the world who would think of taking Marshall back, why isn’t it Wichita State (who has an opening)?

They’re thinking of Mark Turgeon (who built the program), Steve Forbes (Wake), Chris Jans (Miss State), Kellen Sampson (Houston assistant, and Kevin Sampson’s son), Grant McCasland (N Tex), Dusty May, Pat Kelsey, Bob Richey, Darian DeVries, and Adrian Griffin (Toronto Raptors).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wichita State didn't get rid of the beloved coach who put them on the map over ... nothing.

Also, other schools desperate for a winning BB program have probably done their due diligence and passed.

Greg Marshall is without a doubt one of the best college BB coaches of his generation. It was always curious top schools didn't throw the bank at him to get him to leave WSU. Maybe everyone in the business knew what skeletons were in his closets and decided it was more than they were willing to turn a blind eye to.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
There is a proven winner out there who probably is looking for a redemption tour, because he needs redeeming.

Gregg Marshall.
I agree on all accounts, but it’s a toughhhhhh sell to media, boosters and parents. With so many other quality options, doubtful Batt wants to kick off his tenure with a questionable and possibly devastating hire.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Jarrett Jack​

There’s always an unconventional name on these kinds of coaching lists, though this one is different in a number of ways. Georgia Tech’s most recent coaching hires have been solid head coaches from non-power conference programs, and that hasn’t exactly worked out. We’re not saying they shouldn’t hire the head coach of a mid-major (every other name on the list is just that), but what about an NBA name with direct connections to the program?

Jack was a star point guard for the Yellow Jackets two decades ago and played on the team that made the national championship game in 2004. He spent more than a decade bouncing around in the NBA and scored nearly 10,000 career points. After his retirement, he got into coaching and currently sits as an assistant for the Phoenix Suns, a role he’s had for two years.

The clear and immediate red flag is that Jack only has two years of coaching at any level, even if it is in the NBA. He’s never been a head coach and has never recruited at the collegiate level, and the track record of NBA guys at college programs isn’t exactly stellar in recent years. However, he’s a proud former Yellow Jacket who represents former glory for this program. It would be unconventional and maybe not the wisest move, but his hiring would bring energy back in one way or another.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow

Gregg Marshall.

I mentioned this name a month ago and stand by it still. Guy may have a tremendous ego but he is a proven winner

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree on all accounts, but it’s a toughhhhhh sell to media, boosters and parents. With so many other quality options, doubtful Batt wants to kick off his tenure with a questionable and possibly devastating hire.
A year ago I would have said yes to this but after reading about his departure - no. He has a horrible reputation with players and other coaches. I like the concept of finding a proven coach with a winning track record but have to pass on him given I beleive his reutation is too harmed..

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
A year ago I would have said yes to this but after reading about his departure - no. He has a horrible reputation with players and other coaches. I like the concept of finding a proven coach with a winning track record but have to pass on him given I beleive his reutation is too harmed..
I mean…my post also meant I advocated a pass

slugboy

Staff member

People are also overlooking or downplaying that Marshall coached at the Koch center, funded by local billionaires, and that it’s possible that kind of funding might have something to do with Marshall’s success. And one of those local billionaires thought of Marshall as “his guy” and had Wichita State bending over backwards for him.

If Pastner had multiple billionaires backing him, or even “just one” sizable billionaire, his offensive scheme wouldn’t improve, but his recruiting classes would be much better, and his record would be much better.

And, even though Marshall had an amazing record at Wichita State, he took over a program that Mark Turgeon had already built. And Turgeon went on to win regularly at Texas A&M and at Maryland.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
People are also overlooking or downplaying that Marshall coached at the Koch center, funded by local billionaires, and that it’s possible that kind of funding might have something to do with Marshall’s success. And one of those local billionaires thought of Marshall as “his guy” and had Wichita State bending over backwards for him.

If Pastner had multiple billionaires backing him, or even “just one” sizable billionaire, his offensive scheme wouldn’t improve, but his recruiting classes would be much better, and his record would be much better.

And, even though Marshall had an amazing record at Wichita State, he took over a program that Mark Turgeon had already built. And Turgeon went on to win regularly at Texas A&M and at Maryland.
That funding allowed Wichita State to keep Marshall from leaving to go to UCLA for instance but it didn't particularly help with recruiting. Pretty much all of Marshall's recruiting classes consisted of players from junior college and high school recruits ranked outside of the Top 200

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
That funding allowed Wichita State to keep Marshall from leaving to go to UCLA for instance but it didn't particularly help with recruiting. Pretty much all of Marshall's recruiting classes consisted of players from junior college and high school recruits ranked outside of the Top 200
So you saying he got old and stayed old....