IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This.

We will disqualify any actual candidate in order to not pay real money. At one point Kelvin Sampson was a risky hire and coming off of a show cause. Dennis gates was the hire of we were a real program. Whatever, this program is gonna fire Pastner and hire Pat Chambers.

gag throw up GIF

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I’m 16 and EVEN I know about that Baylor scandal.
1. My son played hs bb and was at Baylor just before the Bliss sold out the murdered bb player. Bliss was all about religious and teams values.

2. Son went to grad school and spent a year at Penn state when they broke the scandal of we been hiding the coach who like to shower w boys.

3 After getting phd he returned to teach at Baylor. That was when the winningest football coach in Baylor history said " players behavior is not my job".

Son earned a nick name of " jonah"

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
While the majority of us on this message board have no clue who a good replacement would be, I can only hope that J Batt is already making his own list (and checking it twice).

@Peacone36 maybe with a new AD there will be more sanity to the new hire!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just throwing it out there, if we were to can Pastner this year, Abdur-Rahim is right up the road. He's taken Kennesaw State from one of the worst D1 programs in America to first in their conference and undefeated at home. Maybe A-Sun to ACC is too large of a leap, but he's been on several solid staff and has proven he can build a program from nothing.

Thoughts?
He's been on the GT & UGA staffs and is juiced into the local scene.

He'll have a good feel for whether he wants to take the job.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
1. My son played hs bb and was at Baylor just before the Bliss sold out the murdered bb player. Bliss was all about religious and teams values.

2. Son went to grad school and spent a year at Penn state when they broke the scandal of we been hiding the coach who like to shower w boys.

3 After getting phd he returned to teach at Baylor. That was when the winningest football coach in Baylor history said " players behavior is not my job".

That is a whale of history 😉

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
What up and comers? Brian Gregory who the fanbase at Dayton wanted gone when he was hired here? Pastner who the fanbase at Memphis wanted gone when he was hired here? Paul Hewitt was an up and comer and that worked for awhile so was Bobby Cremins when Tech hired him.
Besides look at Florida and Alabama. Those programs became established as programs that were continually ranked by hiring what you would call phenoms in Billy Donovan and Nate Oates. You find out if a guy can recruit an area by seeing that guy recruit that area and even then it doesn't last. Pastner was known as a recruiter coming here and it hasn't been the same at Tech. Gregory looked like a guy able to recruit the area for that 1st class and then it fell off dramatically going forward.

I don't think it's happening and if everything was dropped and it looked like there'd be no blowback for hiring Beard I don't think that Tech could afford him. And under those specific conditions Tech would not be his only option or his biggest option.
Ok name someone

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Seems like your son is the problem. Where’s he goes scandal erupts. LOL

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer

He is officially forbidden from teaching at Tech :)

buzzchillington69

Georgia Tech Fan
If we're willing to do this, and we're probably not, I'd go hire Pitino first.
I would die if we got Pitino. And it's a perfect fit for both sides. Great recruiter, obvious familiarity with ACC, and for him a jump back into P5, redemption arc, etc. Only issue would be $

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I would die if we got Pitino. And it's a perfect fit for both sides. Great recruiter, obvious familiarity with ACC, and for him a jump back into P5, redemption arc, etc. Only issue would be $
Ol' Rick Pitino is 70 years old. Not sure that expecting him to be he viable for long is the way to go. Not saying that we wouldn't see a bump, just not sure that if going with him that you have a planned path to transition away from him. Frankly I'm surprised he just hasn't retired and gone to broadcasting. (Maybe to many young mouths to feed that we don't know about...)

Sothron

Georgia Tech Fan
The games are just painful to watch at this point. I resisted the "fire the coach because we still think the program is still Lethal Weapon 3 as a fan base" mentality but I can't ignore game results. The team is playing down instead of playing up.

Simply put the program is not in a good place and needs a new voice.

buzzchillington69

Georgia Tech Fan
Ol' Rick Pitino is 70 years old. Not sure that expecting him to be he viable for long is the way to go. Not saying that we wouldn't see a bump, just not sure that if going with him that you have a planned path to transition away from him. Frankly I'm surprised he just hasn't retired and gone to broadcasting. (Maybe to many young mouths to feed that we don't know about...)
He'd be a bridge back to relevance, like Mack Brown did for UNC football. Also Jim Boeheim is still coaching at the ripe old age of 78. Plus, Rick would have the Cheetah going crazy again.