IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Get the **** outta here with Mark Turgeon. You should be banned from this site for that one.

With the way he's trending in the Big East, Mike Anderson might be getting fired. You deserve a double ban.
I watched St. John’s vs. Xavier last month in one of those FS1 All Access games, which are very cool btw. All I can say is you do not want Mike Anderson as head coach after watching that. Granted he was being compared in the huddle to Sean Miller in real time - a battle very few coaches would win. Miller sounded like a basketball savant with his in-game scouting and adjustments every timeout.

All I can think while watching those FS1 All Access broadcasts is how embarrassing Pastner would be on one of them.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I figure this thread is satire with the original list, the coach for Tulsa who is 5-13 this season?, but if it isn't I think a realistic target is Jacksonville HC Jordan Mincy.

36 years old, played at Kent State going to two NCAAT, was an assistant at Florida for seven seasons, had a great first season, a little more average this season. I think he'd be affordable, well-versed in recruiting the GT footprint and out to prove himself. I'd rather take a shot on someone like that instead of someone who is on their way out at their current job.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
I know there were allegations against him and he resigned at the end of 2020, but what about Gregg Marshall? I always figured he would hold out for a blue blood, but I can dream.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
Get the **** outta here with Mark Turgeon. You should be banned from this site for that one.

With the way he's trending in the Big East, Mike Anderson might be getting fired. You deserve a double ban.
He's got a good track record and has won everywhere he's gone. Only place he was fired from was Maryland and he was replacing a legend in Gary Williams. Even there he didn't do too bad.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
I figure this thread is satire with the original list, the coach for Tulsa who is 5-13 this season?, but if it isn't I think a realistic target is Jacksonville HC Jordan Mincy.

36 years old, played at Kent State going to two NCAAT, was an assistant at Florida for seven seasons, had a great first season, a little more average this season. I think he'd be affordable, well-versed in recruiting the GT footprint and out to prove himself. I'd rather take a shot on someone like that instead of someone who is on their way out at their current job.
Tulsa hasn't been good in a while, it's his first year there. Before Tulsa Konkol did good at Louisana Tech, and never had a losing season there.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer
I watched St. John’s vs. Xavier last month in one of those FS1 All Access games, which are very cool btw. All I can say is you do not want Mike Anderson as head coach after watching that. Granted he was being compared in the huddle to Sean Miller in real time - a battle very few coaches would win. Miller sounded like a basketball savant with his in-game scouting and adjustments every timeout.

All I can think while watching those FS1 All Access broadcasts is how embarrassing Pastner would be on one of them.
I put Anderson on the list in case we can't financially afford other options. Same reason I put Scott Pera there too. If we can't hit a home run the two of them would be safe hires.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Ben McCollum, NW Mo State
334-83 lifetime record
29-5 D2 NCAAT
4 time national champion
5 time D2 National Coach of the Year
Won conference 10 of last 11 years

Could he recruit & win in D1? No way to know, but I think he's a better bet than a P6 assistant or someone with one good year as HC. Would need a really good recruiting assistant, but that can be done.

slugboy

Staff member
I know there were allegations against him and he resigned at the end of 2020, but what about Gregg Marshall? I always figured he would hold out for a blue blood, but I can dream.
If he got fired (“resigned”) from Wichita State, it was bad. One of the Koch brothers was backing him massively, and he eventually said “too much”.

Also, when a billionaire backs a college basketball coach, they often do better.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
If he got fired (“resigned”) from Wichita State, it was bad. One of the Koch brothers was backing him massively, and he eventually said “too much”.

Also, when a billionaire backs a college basketball coach, they often do better.
They also paid him $7.5M to go. If it was that bad, they likely would have fired him for cause and kept the money. It has been three years, so perhaps he has learned his lesson. Since there were no specifics, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially if you word the contract carefully/

slugboy

Staff member
They also paid him $7.5M to go. If it was that bad, they likely would have fired him for cause and kept the money. It has been three years, so perhaps he has learned his lesson. Since there were no specifics, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially if you word the contract carefully/
It cost them that much to fire him with cause. They owed him $15 million without cause. https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article247245209.html.

In similar terms, just because someone isn't convicted doesn't mean they weren't really guilty (I know this is civil court, here, though). Courtrooms are tricky places. Did Wichita State want to air all the dirty laundry that would have needed airing to get out of the contract scot-free? Maybe not.

If we're willing to do this, and we're probably not, I'd go hire Pitino first.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Lots of strange comments in this thread. Turgeon? Marshall? Anderson? Yall have short memories.

But this sheds light on the perils of a coach search when you're conducting it in the bargain basement.

Unless some stuff changes, we're not even in a finished, tricked out basement. We're in that creepy basement with old boxes stored next to a rotted mannequin with that 'voice' coming from that dark corner the light bulb can't quite illuminate.....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If we're willing to do this, and we're probably not, I'd go hire Pitino first.

Yep. Like you,my body is ready for some high level Jacket basketball. The whole industry us shady now. Ain't no more holier than thou's. Just dive, face first, into the motel pool at this point.

Ok, I'm half kidding. I do hope we still operate (sorta) honorably in the grand scheme.