If Nick Chubb can play as a freshman Why can't Leggett

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I honestly don't see any other option if Laskey's a no-go.
I don't think Snoddy or Perkins are going to switch positions. I don't think Coach wants Days to be the starter after going back and forth between AB and BB.
Even if Connors starts, I don't think he gets all the snaps.

This is a real tough spot but I like Leggett's HS tape. His running style is sort of David Sims-esque in that he's good forward lean and makes singular decisive cuts. Smaller than Sims but likely a step faster. Laskey's been averaging 5+ yards per carry and I don't think we'll get that sort of production easily replaced, but I hope the guys we have can keep the offense rolling. IMO, this means we emphasize getting the ball in the hands of our best ABs and WRs that much more - Perkins, Zenon, Hill, Smelter, Waller.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I agree... also the Austin Twins have proven they can tackle in space, why did they not see the field against UNC? I would be playing the twins since we have tackling issues.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
WE probably have no other choice, but I am concerned that the reason he may not have already burned his shirt is because he struggles in the mesh....If so, then more fumbles may be the result.

If he's playing and that's the case, I'm guessing he's getting a higher proportion of non-option calls - dives, traps, blasts, and the like. Connors is a pretty decent option back, IIRC, but he's not an agile guy who can cut back easily at the LOS in the way Laskey can. Maybe Leggett complements Connors/Days in this regard.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Eric, what are your thoughts on how the depth chart looks against Pitt?

Does Connors get the starting nod and we work in Leggett? Or does Days move back and we rotate the three?
Or does Leggett leapfrog both and get most of the carries?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Marshall got hurt again. Plus, they had moved JJ Green to the secondary. So it fell to Chubb and Michel to be the top backups. When Michel got hurt, Chubb was the de facto starter. He was going to play some this year, it appears, because I guess they figure one way or another, Gurley and Marshall are gone after this season.

Per Rivals, Georgia really doesn't have a stud RB in its 2015 recruiting class yet. They've got some JUCO 3-star. But there are no 4-star (like Gurley and Marshall) and 5-star kids (like Michel and I think Chubb), coming just yet to play tailback.

I think Days gets the first crack at B-back. I really don't like pulling the redshirt off somebody this late into the season. But at this point, if Leggett is truly needed, get him in there. We've got at least two very good BB commitments coming in behind him.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It probably has a lot to do with the difficulty of the BBack position in general. You can line anyone up in a pro set and tell then to grab the ball and run forward. Expecting a freshman to learn all nuances of the BBack position and to outperform a senior at the position was a tall order. I hope he is able to hit the ground running next week. I think Leggett will look great in the speed option and hopefully has the mesh down well enough to keep the triple option a threat.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It probably has a lot to do with the difficulty of the BBack position in general. You can line anyone up in a pro set and tell then to grab the ball and run forward. Expecting a freshman to learn all nuances of the BBack position and to outperform a senior at the position was a tall order. I hope he is able to hit the ground running next week. I think Leggett will look great in the speed option and hopefully has the mesh down well enough to keep the triple option a threat.

Thanks, ibe. I was fishin' around yesterday for such an answer in the earlier thread, the one where Eric said the shirt was coming off. I don't think PJ makes a public statement about playing Leggett unless he was leaning that way. I was wondering what issues caused him to take his finger off the trigger.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@wingsrlevel

I was told by his position coach that if Laskey is out for awhile then they plan to play Leggett....that was the lsstest yesterday evening. He said we would know more Monday. Hopefully Laskey isn't out long.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Losing Laskey is a big blow. I think there's a good argument that he's been our best BB since Dwyer this year, ... even ahead of Allen.

I would go with Days who has impressed me some with how he's played at BB. Days and Connors can be ok, but with our defense, we've needed more than OK, we've needed quasi-flawlessness on offense; and we've almost gotten it. We'll see how Days does. I'm a little doubtful, but not totally. Leggett is a total unknown X-factor in my analysis.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Marshall should have been redshirted he wasn't ready.
Leggett gets his time. Let's hope he's successful.
I like Leggett. We should play more of our young guys at this point.
Juene, Messick, Leggett

I remeber when some people on this board didnt think Chubb was all that uh hum @Eric

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
ATL1 said:
Marshall should have been redshirted he wasn't ready.
Leggett gets his time. Let's hope he's successful.
I like Leggett. We should play more of our young guys at this point.
Juene, Messick, Leggett

I remeber when some people on this board didnt think Chubb was all that uh hum @Eric

Marshall who?

Why play Jeune and Messick when Waller and Smelter are playing so well...especially Messick. He isn't ready.

I wasn't that high on Chubb...still think Michel is way better. But I don't think you want me to call on your recruiting misses ;)

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Chubb is a 5 star running back with a 1 star brain. This will probably be his swan song and UGA is going to get every thing they can out of the kid before he has to take his first finals. Leggett is 2 / 3 star that needs some seasoning and experience. Looks like he is going to have to learn on the job.

Go Jackets!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Chubb is a 5 star running back with a 1 star brain. This will probably be his swan song and UGA is going to get every thing they can out of the kid before he has to take his first finals. Leggett is 2 / 3 star that needs some seasoning and experience. Looks like he is going to have to learn on the job.

Go Jackets!

just curious...have the Dogs ever lost anyone due to academics?!?!