Ideas to raise our visibility ?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I'd say we're getting quite a bit of attention right now, and if (WHEN) we beat Miami Saturday, we will get even more.
CPJ is known as one of the least exciting personalties in the game so of course the logical conclusion is that with a new coach we COULD raise our visibility

CPJ is known as one of the least exciting personalties in the game so of course the logical conclusion is that with a new coach we COULD raise our visibility
WTF cares about "exciting personalities"? As long as the players like him, both current and former, as long as he represents the ideals of Georgia Tech, I don't really care what you or anybody else thinks. Although I have never met him in person, I have heard that he is a very engaging and humorous (witty might be a better word) man.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

I don’t care about personties as much as it is about being media friendly, media savvy, knowing how to maximize exposure, and recruit.

Saban can be an a-hole to the media but he also knows how to work the media and can recruit is tail off.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think what this thread indicates is that there a) to raise the visibility of Tech we should have a strategy to do so and b) we don't have a strategy.

I think that's the nuts and bolts of it. Add to the fact that the coaching staff is not compensated based on the seats sold and there is little incentive to create a dynamic fan base.

I disagree with the attitude that simply winning will fill the stands. Playing Alcorn State, Gardner Webb, and other weak schools only reinforces the view that Tech is bush league. Playing exciting games against good opponents and ... winning ... helps a lot.

I'm not involved enough to have a thoughtful response, although I could probably guess on some programs that would work. Better yet, I would love for the AD to articulate "Here's our plan ... "

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a scene in the movie "Death Race 2000" where there was an euthanasia day at a retirement home on the race route.

We should turbocharge the Wreck and euthanize a kennel full of bulldog puppies with it.

Instant profile upgrade. (TIC)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Alex Trebek increased our visibility apparently ..

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-justice-dingle-jeopardy-clue/7LLfwOf9wM9JROpr3SIF2I/

Dingle, a freshman, was part of an answer in the category “2018 College football Names” – “Linebacker Justice Dingle floats like a butterfly and stings like a Yellow Jackets for this Southern U.” The contestant who buzzed in first had the correct question: “What is Georgia Tech?”

It's a double-edged sword though. Per my sources, instead of following up on the FBI's go-ahead to investigate the college basketball violators, the uNCAA will be investigating GT over the use of Dingle's likeness on Jeopardy. I'm only partially kidding.

Animal02

Banned
I think what this thread indicates is that there a) to raise the visibility of Tech we should have a strategy to do so and b) we don't have a strategy.

I think that's the nuts and bolts of it. Add to the fact that the coaching staff is not compensated based on the seats sold and there is little incentive to create a dynamic fan base.

I disagree with the attitude that simply winning will fill the stands. Playing Alcorn State, Gardner Webb, and other weak schools only reinforces the view that Tech is bush league. Playing exciting games against good opponents and ... winning ... helps a lot.

I'm not involved enough to have a thoughtful response, although I could probably guess on some programs that would work. Better yet, I would love for the AD to articulate "Here's our plan ... "
Bull.
1.)Most schools play the Alcorn State type game. Bama and Ugag are not considered bush league for it.
2.) It is smarter financially to have the extra game then bring in a “name” opponent.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bull.
1.)Most schools play the Alcorn State type game. Bama and Ugag are not considered bush league for it.
2.) It is smarter financially to have the extra game then bring in a “name” opponent.

I disagree.

First, we do not have the size of the fanbase that either of the schools you mentioned have. Both Alabama and Georgia have alumni populations of more than 200,000 and most of those are in state. Tech's is about 126,00o and is spread out. Moreover, 31% of Alabama's alumni are engaged in supporting football ... my point is Alabama can afford to schedule filler games whereas we cannot.

Why?

Look at the NCAA data on attendance. Higher quality opponents lead to fuller stadiums. That's true everywhere. So, if Tech wants higher attendance, they need to play quality opponents our limited fanbase is willing to support.

I can't disagree with your second point. Money talks. But I think it's a short term high.

Animal02

Banned
I disagree.

First, we do not have the size of the fanbase that either of the schools you mentioned have. Both Alabama and Georgia have alumni populations of more than 200,000 and most of those are in state. Tech's is about 126,00o and is spread out. Moreover, 31% of Alabama's alumni are engaged in supporting football ... my point is Alabama can afford to schedule filler games whereas we cannot.

Why?

Look at the NCAA data on attendance. Higher quality opponents lead to fuller stadiums. That's true everywhere. So, if Tech wants higher attendance, they need to play quality opponents our limited fanbase is willing to support.

I can't disagree with your second point. Money talks. But I think it's a short term high.
Once again.....having the extra game by playing a “guaranteed” makes better financial sense than sceduling a home and home against a “quality” opponent.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Once again.....having the extra game by playing a “guaranteed” makes better financial sense than sceduling a home and home against a “quality” opponent.

I'm conceding that point, financially, on a one-off basis. But you could equally make a game a loss leader to create more total value for the season. In fact, most product families are organized with loss leaders to offset low profits with substantial profits as complements are purchased. That's why I said, it's a short term high.

Animal02

Banned
I'm conceding that point, financially, on a one-off basis. But you could equally make a game a loss leader to create more total value for the season. In fact, most product families are organized with loss leaders to offset low profits with substantial profits as complements are purchased. That's why I said, it's a short term high.
Nope...I looked at the numbers in depth a while back. It still makes more financial sense to schedule the extra cupcake game, than filling those remains seats.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say Ross and O'Leary did not raise the profile, although it took 3 years for Ross to do it, and then he left 2 years after reaching the top. Yes, O'Leary and Fridge, with a lot of help from JoHam, definitely raised the profile, and then they all left too.

The problem with all of this is it requires a sustained commitment to be relevant and interesting to fans and players. There just seems to be a lot of inconsistency to do so.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem with all of this is it requires a sustained commitment to be relevant and interesting to fans and players. There just seems to be a lot of inconsistency to do so.

This is probably the most relevant comment of all. The last ten years has been a yo-yo ride with the relative highs of D-Rad to the absolute nadir with M-Bob.

I think Stansbury is the guy to do it; I honestly do. But unlike most everywhere else it is going to take time. CPJ asked for help in recruiting and got it this year. We've already seen an upswing in recruiting but the fruits of this labor probably won't manifest itself for another few years. Stansbury has a big campaign to raise money for the AA but it's not like we're going to see an ACC-caliber men's and women's soccer team next year. The unfortunate harsh reality is that just about everything is harder at GT than anywhere else, and as I have stated before, it's harder because we (GT) make it harder.