IBB 5 Matchups to watch

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect Clemson to press their run game through the 1st quarter and then try to hit their WR's on crossing patterns and slants after our backs get put into more simplistic coverage when we try to load the box.

As for their defensive approach, they will see if their D line can get pressure on their own before they start blitzing. For them it would would be nice if they could sit back and make Johnson try to hit spots. While I think he can hit spots there will be the occasional miss that turns into a pick.

Tech will hope to establish the run and ease Johnson into the pass offense, this will minimize pressure on the QB and make Clemson load the box themselves if the run works

alagold

Helluva Engineer
OL weight vs, DL weight is not always a good indicator of domination by the heavier unit. If you have good coaching/schemes and fast players you can run around them fat boys all night long- think Tenuta 2003 GT vs. AU, all i heard that week was how AU was going to crush our undersized DL with their huge line and let Cadillac and Ronny Brown run wild on us, we stuffed them all night. Unfortunately, i don’t see Eric Henderson, Gerris Wilkerson, Joe Anoia, Darryl Smith etc running out of the tunnel for us tonight. Anyway, Hopefully tonight gives a peek at the start of a new era and brand of aggressive Def football at GT reminiscent of that night.

the problem also is that by 3rd qtr we are too tired to" run around them ", ask Notre Dame and U-Ala

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Refs call holding on clenson vs on gt .

We could get some calls on them since we will be shooting gaps verses chicken dancing.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The time is here. 2019 GT and the Coach Collins era is here!!! I want to focus on 5 big matchups in the game to keep an eye on which could be pivotal in the matchup vs. Clemson

#1 Zach Quinney vs. Xavier Thomas

Straight out the gate, Quinney will be tested by arguably the best pass rusher in the nation. Though elite, Thomas do have his flaws in wanting to be a pass rusher only and not willing to set the edge or be physical on the run. Let’s see if Quinney can use his athleticism and cause issues for that side on the zone/stretch run game

#2 Dave Patenaude vs. Brent Venerables

Having the option figured out is an ignorant statement that Tech fans loathed, but their has been no better DC at stopping the vaunted TO than Venerables, but out with the old and enter Coach P’s Pro-Style, Spread Offense. The unknown of what we’ll see on our offense is good and scary at the same time. I expect multiple looks and personnel groupings to give Clemson 9 new starters on Defense something to think about and create favorable matchups. It will be interesting to see if Venerables/Clemson will try to out muscle us sitting in coverage and make our QBs read coverage and deliver the ball to the correct receiver or will send the dogs after us.

#3 Tre Swilling vs. Justyn Ross

Nothing better than seeing 2 NFL caliber players going at it. Ross got loose on us with some blown coverages last year. With better coaching (imo), and tighter coverage this should be a heavyweight battle. Let’s see if Tre can limit him on the big plays and make few plays on the ball himself.

#4 Trevor Lawrence vs. the Minister of Mayhem

Arguably the best QB in the last 20-30yrs. Lawrence checks every box you would want in a QB and more. Lucky for us, we have an elite defensive mind in Collins and Thacker has proven, somewhat, he can hold his own. Can this duo put our defense in position to make this game close in 4th and make Lawrence comfortable. I expect to see multiple sets from our base 4-2-5, 3-3-5, to dollar/ dime where we be blitzing all different angles.

#5 Old vs. New

This will be interesting. How will fans react when we punt on 4th & 2 or pass outta gun on 3rd & 3? How patient and forgiving will the GT faithful be seeing things not how they use to be? Let’s make sure we are loud and proud win, lose, or draw to guys in white & gold (& navy lol)

Good time to revisit this:

#1- the offensive game plan nullified this matchup

#2- “The unknown of what we’ll see on our offense is good and scary at the same time.
It was done right scary. Coach P offensive strategy was completely off-script to what we thought we would and who we would see. We looked very vanilla in our calls and in our formations. I was mystified on how praised our WR room and Tyler Davis, but all but eliminated them from the offense. We made life very easy for Venerables.

3. I tried to tell folks. Tre Swilling put some great tape out there. Going back to Spring and me seeing him this offseason he has really adapted to CGC press style of defenses.

I thought we had a great plan of attack and we made him work. 13-23 168 1TD/2INT is a great day at the office for your defense. The TD to Higgins was a great player making a play. The read option TD came on a blown assignment by Curry. We have to clean that up or we’ll see it every week

5. Man, who knew this would be the matchup of the day to break the GT faithful.
Let me reiterate, New Scheme/ Regime vs. the defending national champions who just added another clip to the chamber to their offense. I knew there would be contingent of fans who was ready to snicker at this game for agenda reasons. I definitely didn’t expect to see at this level. Hopefully, there are more level heads as the week progresses so we can focus on USF

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

#1- the offensive game plan nullified this game plan

#2- “The unknown of what we’ll see on our offense is good and scary at the same time.
It was done right scary. Coach P offensive strategy was completely off-script to what we thought we would and who we would see. We looked very vanilla in our calls and in our formations. I was mystified on how praised our WR room and Tyler Davis, but all but eliminated them from the offense. We made life very easy for Venerables.

3. I tried to tell folks. Tre Swilling put some great tape out there. Going back to Spring and me seeing him this offseason he has really adapted to CGC press style of defenses.

I thought we had a great plan of attack and we made him work. 13-23 168 1TD/2INT is a great day at the office for your defense. The TD to Higgins was great player making a play. The read option TD came on a blown assignment by Curry. We have to clean that up or we’ll see it every week

Let me reiterate, New Scheme/ Regime vs. the defending national champions who just added another clip to the chamber to their offense. I knew there would be contingent of fans who was ready to snicker at this game for agenda reasons. I definitely didn’t expect to see at this level. Hopefully, there are more level heads as the week progresses so we can focus on USF

Good stuff as always. Thanks for the contributions in spite of some of the negativity here.

Deleted member 2897

#1- the offensive game plan nullified this matchup

I thought we had a great plan of attack and we made him work. 13-23 168 1TD/2INT is a great day at the office for your defense. The TD to Higgins was a great player making a play. The read option TD came on a blown assignment by Curry. We have to clean that up or we’ll see it every week

I think Walton played great too, as did Carpenter, Thomas, and Oliver. I think we learned some things about who plays well on the real stage instead of practice, especially LB/edge rushing.

The only real spot that concerned me was our DL rarely seemed to make a tackle or even contact with an RB coming through the line. But that getting off of blocks is I think a lot of technique that can be improved.

Deleted member 2897

I agree but we are so enamored with Lawrence arm that we forget or overlook he runs a 4.6 40

I remember watching his high school tape a couple years ago. And then seeing him mic’d up at the Army All American game so you could hear him communicating to his players. It was so clear how he had every throw AND he could read the defense and know what the plays should be and where the routes should go...I knew back then it was going to be a nightmarish 3 years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tre turns that back into Lawence and their momentum together may carry the two of them into the end zone. It would have been painful for Tre because Lawrence is much bigger and heavier, but as it was, he was pushed out at the 3.