"I will be elated if GT tries to beat us throwing- elated"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Saw this posted on their antiquated fan board. I hope this guy's hungry, because he's gonna be eating those words all afternoon.

I know this is not VT, but I bet this guy is this guy 2.0

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't care how we beat them...just want the win and get the heck out of town. This is a winnable game, a real winnable game. If we get solid effort for 60 minutes and JT brings the A game all game with passing then it will be real tough to beat us.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, I'm not convinced we'll have to sling it all over the yard to win this one. JT runs the O at warp speed compared to Vad.

It is visibly faster. That's a fact. If they are going to stack the box though...going to have to make them be honest and respect the threat of the pass. I just want 4 quarters of smart/ consistent effort. We will win this game if we do that.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
"I will be elated if GT tries to beat us throwing- elated"

We just want you to be happy! Getting beat two weeks in a row via opponents passing would seem tiresome though.

Something PJ said on the radio show Monday night made me think that he believes we have to hit open receivers to be successful.
Paul Johnson has played Virginia Tech six times. He knows the drill. Of course we will have to pass to have any chance to beat them. Not sling it all over the field, but if they can sell out to stop our rushing game without any worry about being passed on, it will be a very long afternoon. This is a big game for them. Coastal division game, their first conference game like us, and they are now one of the several "desperate one-loss teams". They are probably already eliminated from playoff consideration, but it is almost certain that a two loss team is toast--even if they were to somehow get to the ACCCG with two losses and win to become conference champs, I don't see a two loss ACC team getting in. Maybe a one loss conference champ with a win over FSU, but not a two loss. So this is an important game for them as well.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not so much that JT has to be spot on....our WR have got to exploit the single coverage, and win some contested balls! They need to have dominant games blocking and catching as well.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We are making more receptions this year. Have you noticed that we seem to be passing more...? I wonder what JT's completion % is if you take out the last 2 minutes before each half.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
As much as I would love to think that we are going to put it all together against VT, I still have very serious doubts
about it happening for several reasons. I hope I am wrong ! Looking back in years past , VT always seems to lay an egg early in the season. You can't really count Ohio state as a normal game. They had months to prepare, and OSU had their QB get hurt. They may have overlooked VT , too. VT will be plenty ready for us. Beamer knows it's a conference game that will set them up real well for the rest of the year. Also, Bud Foster has shown he knows a thing or two about stopping our offense. Unless we can get pressure from our D line, their QB and receivers will wear us out. Always count on Beamer to have a trick or two on special teams, too. All this is not to say we can't win, just that it's going to take better than we have shown so far.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've seldom been as happy as I was after that game. I walked down the steps yelling, "I LOVE TO BEAT CLEMSON!" at the top of my voice. I look forward to that sign they use for them that says "Welcome back to Atlanta!"

What I want this weekend, however, is simple. God knows, it's simple. I want us to play a complete football game for once. If we do that we have an excellent chance to win. As one of their fans said, this VT outfit probably isn't going to win the Coastal anyway. It's time, it's past time, that we showed these Turkies who will.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as I would love to think that we are going to put it all together against VT, I still have very serious doubts
about it happening for several reasons. I hope I am wrong ! Looking back in years past , VT always seems to lay an egg early in the season. You can't really count Ohio state as a normal game. They had months to prepare, and OSU had their QB get hurt. They may have overlooked VT , too. VT will be plenty ready for us. Beamer knows it's a conference game that will set them up real well for the rest of the year. Also, Bud Foster has shown he knows a thing or two about stopping our offense. Unless we can get pressure from our D line, their QB and receivers will wear us out. Always count on Beamer to have a trick or two on special teams, too. All this is not to say we can't win, just that it's going to take better than we have shown so far.

Beamer's special teams are marginal these days, and GT did more to hurt itself than Bud Foster did. Not to mention they no longer have Logan Thomas at QB. I'm confident that this Tech squad can take home the W as long as we win the turnover battle.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ knows what's coming. VT will force us to beat them through the air. Nothing has shown me that we can do that against this level of talent. I'm hoping we have success passing when it's not expected to loosen up the run. We struggled mightily against GS when they knew the pass was coming which has been a problem in this offense. We have to make them pay for loading the box before we get in a must pass scenario.

Declinometer

Banned
CPJ knows what's coming. VT will force us to beat them through the air. Nothing has shown me that we can do that against this level of talent. I'm hoping we have success passing when it's not expected to loosen up the run. We struggled mightily against GS when they knew the pass was coming which has been a problem in this offense. We have to make them pay for loading the box before we get in a must pass scenario.

Really? I Haven't been as optimistic in our passing game since JN left and we might be a little better now than then. The receivers, A and B backs look very natural catching everything that has been thrown their way.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The hitch and go JT threw to Smelter shows something very important - air under the ball. He lofted that ball and dropped it in stride to Smelter, but the air under it gave Smelter the ability to adjust to it. This is something we haven't seen much of in previous games.