I want to see Tobias Oliver throw a pass..... in a game

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow

There are 2-3 passes in that video from 3 years ago that make it seem like he has a more natural throwing motion than TQM, and doesn't look like he is throwing it as hard as he can. He's clearly not as fast as TQM but he is bigger, stronger, and at least from a form perspective has a pretty nice arm.

He's not Lucas Johnson with the arm, but he looks like a capable passer.

Am I wrong on this?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s a good passer. Every comment I’ve ever read was about him as a runner.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dumb question....I thought many on this board were excited a couple of years ago when Graham signed because he was supposed to be a complete package...runner and passer. Am I misremembering? Yet he wound up as WR (although now moved back to third string QB). What happened? Did he not pan out? Any inside info on this?

I too remain dismayed in the extreme that CPJ cannot get a QB who can both run this offense AND be a nice passer when necessary and when the opportunity is there. I love TQM, but ....something just doesn't appear to be right with our offense when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter the last two seasons.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This offense is not that greatest for recruiting a high level dual threat qb.

CPJ has said numerous times that Graham is the most talented player he’s had at the position.

Graham is fine.

Dumb question....I thought many on this board were excited a couple of years ago when Graham signed because he was supposed to be a complete package...runner and passer. Am I misremembering? Yet he wound up as WR (although now moved back to third string QB). What happened? Did he not pan out? Any inside info on this?

I too remain dismayed in the extreme that CPJ cannot get a QB who can both run this offense AND be a nice passer when necessary and when the opportunity is there. I love TQM, but ....something just doesn't appear to be right with our offense when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter the last two seasons.
Pretty sure Graham is a true freshman now. He may be forced into action (possibly losing his redshirt) later this year, but why waste him now. When Johnson is ready for Oliver to pass, I'm sure he will let him. After all, Johnson is the one who's seen both Oliver and Graham in practice and has the info to make that decision. We don't have that luxury.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

James Graham signed in 2018 and didn't start practice with the team and coaches until summer camp. He has only been with the team since August of this year. He was moved to WR for part of camp and then back to QB. I wouldn't expect anyone to learn the offense, adjust to NCAA game speed, swap positions twice in one month, and win the starting position. Give him some time before declaring his demise.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
If what you are guys are saying is true, the future is bright between Lucas Johnson (who we know can pass), James Graham (who you are saying can pass), and Tobias Oliver (who potentially can pass).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am very pleased to hear the positive input about Graham. I guess I was taking the fact that he was moved from QB as a negative. Maybe CPJ was just trying to find a way to get his best athletes on the field any way he could?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Me too, eventually, I just don't want to throw him into the deep end of the pool right off the bat. I think he'll need time to adjust to the bump in pass rush pressure at the college level.

I think technique goes out the window when there's three to four 300+ lbs dudes that just want to take your head off.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
From what I understand he has a cannon, but that it comes with some accuracy issues.

Next years QB challenge will be interesting. If we can hold on to them.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I am very pleased to hear the positive input about Graham. I guess I was taking the fact that he was moved from QB as a negative. Maybe CPJ was just trying to find a way to get his best athletes on the field any way he could?
He was moved before Lucas was hurt, and after 2 WR went down in camp. Just trying to get him where he could help the team.

ETA and the move was labeled "temporary"

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It was this. CPJ said that he was too explosive and athletic to not try and get him on the field.