I want a run first pro style offense

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Because it was against 2 different coaching staffs at UNC. Nice try.

Ok. I don't think that makes a big difference since the players are the same. If you believe that then what happened with the Butch Davis staff? 2008 we score 7, 2009 we score 24, 2010 we score 30 and 2011 we score 35. Same staff except for the HC in 2011 when Davis was fired right before the season and the rest of the staff remained intact. Explain how we increased our point totals each year when teams are supposed to be "figuring us out." Can you explain UGA in 2012 and UGA in 2013? Did they forget how to defend us? No. In 2012 they had Jarvis Jones, John Jenkins, Ogletree and Rambo. They didn't in 2013!

Ok. I don't think that makes a big difference since the players are the same. If you believe that then what happened with the Butch Davis staff? 2008 we score 7, 2009 we score 24, 2010 we score 30 and 2011 we score 35. Same staff except for the HC in 2011 when Davis was fired right before the season and the rest of the staff remained intact. Explain how we increased our point totals each year when teams are supposed to be "figuring us out." Can you explain UGA in 2012 and UGA in 2013? Did they forget how to defend us? No. In 2012 they had Jarvis Jones, John Jenkins, Ogletree and Rambo. They didn't in 2013!

Again, don't muddle the issue with facts and logic. LOL

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I want to run our offense and tweak it to add more zone concepts similar to auburn, and hire a assistant coach that can infuse some 2000's passing concepts into it including protection schemes.

That is all I want.

we won't beat uga doing what uga does.

I thought that was what we were going to see with Vad and Cook but, for whatever reason, it didn't work out. I would like to see it tried again with another duel threat QB. That said, with JT, I am excited to get back to the fundamentals. I think both styles can win if executed well.

Now, I still question if we really have the talent/depth this year to win 10, even with good execution. Custis is still killing me!

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I have been a big CPJ supporter and still want him to win, but I want a pro style offense again similar to Georgia's. If we don't win 8+ and beat UGA I want him canned

Couple of thoughts:
Last season we averaged 31 points a game in conference games, 5th in the conference.

Since the 2008 class GT recruiting classes have averaged 53 in the nation - per Rivals.
UGA classes for the same period have average 9 in the nation - per Rivals.

It ain't the offense, it's the players.

Couple of thoughts:
Last season we averaged 31 points a game in conference games, 5th in the conference.

Since the 2008 class GT recruiting classes have averaged 53 in the nation - per Rivals.
UGA classes for the same period have average 9 in the nation - per Rivals.

It ain't the offense, it's the players.

But look back at the past 50 years and tell me when we have done better, recruiting wise, on a CONSISTENT basis. After all, we have NEVER had a 5-star recruit, and overall not even many 4-stars......assuming the star rating is what you are basing your comment on.

Scubapro

Banned
Wow...a pro style like Chan? When we could barely score 21 point vs good opponents...this with Calvin Johnson.
The facts are this...get a new coach and we will have 4-5 years if sub par recruiting because the Hill with hamstring the new coach on who he can recruit. Its difficult enough to recruit at Tech without having the Hill micromanage things.
Now CPJ can recruit who he wants (within reason) so in my opinion the clock starts now. But it will take a few years to get better Jimmy and Joes into the system.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am waiting until this upcoming season ends before I reevaluate. I think this team has the potential to win up to 11 games including the bowl game. However, I could see us only winning 7 or 8 games. Hopefully, CPJ proves everyone wrong because you do not want to break in a new coach with that 2015 schedule.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Looking at units in a vacuum not good.

Defense wore out due to the poor offense vs Clemson and BYU; in fact vs clemson we didn't get a first down for nearly 2 quarters and by then the game was basically over. Maimi was a catastrophy on D, turnovers and sp teams didn't help. Go back and watch the BYU game and seriously tell me u put that on the D

In fact, if not for the D last year we don't win UVA, Pitt or UNC. I could argue last year, the D helped with more wins than the O. If the offense shows a pulse vs BYU and Clemson, we may be in those games in the 3 Q without a worn out d. Hell we aren't in the Ole Miss game without the D. The offense bad again.

Again, last year the D played well. Equal at least to the O

I don't know why more people don't recognize the genius of this post. I mean, if people really thought it was meaningful to judge offense and defence independently, they'd keep distinct statistics. They'd have coaches that specialized in offense or defense.

The genius of this post doesn't require any complicated over thinking, or thinking at all. There is only one stat W-L and only one coach, the HC. Genius. (Rant over)

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
But look back at the past 50 years and tell me when we have done better, recruiting wise, on a CONSISTENT basis. After all, we have NEVER had a 5-star recruit, and overall not even many 4-stars......assuming the star rating is what you are basing your comment on.

Yeah, based on Rivals and their star assignments. We haven't done better recruiting in the last 50 years, with an exception here and there. My point is that it is not the offense but the players. If I may quote myself, academically Georgia Tech is not an "NFL day camp" like most of the schools they recruit against. Not many recruits who absolutely "know" they are NFL bound - 1000's of them - are prepared to do the academic work at Tech on top of the athletic work.

I have no problem with Johnson and the offense. Defense, yes. It appears Roof and company are turning that around.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking at units in a vacuum not good.

Defense wore out due to the poor offense vs Clemson and BYU; in fact vs clemson we didn't get a first down for nearly 2 quarters and by then the game was basically over. Maimi was a catastrophy on D, turnovers and sp teams didn't help. Go back and watch the BYU game and seriously tell me u put that on the D

In fact, if not for the D last year we don't win UVA, Pitt or UNC. I could argue last year, the D helped with more wins than the O. If the offense shows a pulse vs BYU and Clemson, we may be in those games in the 3 Q without a worn out d. Hell we aren't in the Ole Miss game without the D. The offense bad again.

Again, last year the D played well. Equal at least to the O

I understand what you're saying and I agree to a point. I've watched every game multiple times, including the BYU game. Both units had a lot to do with that loss. Our O sucked and Taysom Hill did whatever he wanted to do with our defense. We played well for a couple series against Clemson but come on. We give up 50+ points and you want to blame it on our offense? I get the idea of our D being on the field a lot. I get the idea of being worn out but Clemson did what they wanted to in the 2nd quarter. Are you saying our D was tired in the 2nd quarter? If that's the case, we need to find a new S&C coach.

How many times in the Gailey era was our offense going 3 and out and our D continued to make stops? How many games ended 10-7, 9-6, 14-7?

You bring up the UNC game but our O won that game. Our offense held the ball the entire 2nd half and UNC couldn't stop us and they couldn't do anything with their O on the sidelines.

We aren't in that Ole Miss game without the help of Ole Miss. How many FG's did they miss? We gave up 477 yards and were praising the D? Let's be honest here. Both units weren't very good.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you're saying and I agree to a point. I've watched every game multiple times, including the BYU game. Both units had a lot to do with that loss. Our O sucked and Taysom Hill did whatever he wanted to do with our defense. We played well for a couple series against Clemson but come on. We give up 50+ points and you want to blame it on our offense? I get the idea of our D being on the field a lot. I get the idea of being worn out but Clemson did what they wanted to in the 2nd quarter. Are you saying our D was tired in the 2nd quarter? If that's the case, we need to find a new S&C coach.

How many times in the Gailey era was our offense going 3 and out and our D continued to make stops? How many games ended 10-7, 9-6, 14-7?

You bring up the UNC game but our O won that game. Our offense held the ball the entire 2nd half and UNC couldn't stop us and they couldn't do anything with their O on the sidelines.

We aren't in that Ole Miss game without the help of Ole Miss. How many FG's did they miss? We gave up 477 yards and were praising the D? Let's be honest here. Both units weren't very good.

Again, you are bringing up facts which would be meaningful in rational discussion but fail to appreciate that some people come on here to share their feelings.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know why more people don't recognize the genius of this post. I mean, if people really thought it was meaningful to judge offense and defence independently, they'd keep distinct statistics. They'd have coaches that specialized in offense or defense.

The genius of this post doesn't require any complicated over thinking, or thinking at all. There is only one stat W-L and only one coach, the HC. Genius. (Rant over)

This post is genius (rant on). Playing off the other thread. Good stuff

The point is all phases of the game can effect one side of the ball both ways. I mean come on. Thats obvious. Nothing about football can be statistically analyzed in a vacuum when looking at a teams game by game results. Other than the score. For instance paul going for 4th and 2 on our own 25. Then the d gives up the td. Statistically the d just gave up points. But the reality is it was a risk call. This is my point.

the team d was statistically better (i think) than team o last year. Or total d vs total o maybe (can remember).

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Chan called a different game than paul. Chan did not go for it on O. He would rather punt and pin an o inside the 20. How many times have you seen paul go for it on our side of the field putting the d in a bad spot? How many times did chan do this? How you play each unit off each other helps or hurts the other both ways. Chan coached to help the d. Period. He was probably overly conservative. By the same token pauls death marches are a total asset too. We saw that very few times last year. And i do think our d tired alot. Uga. Look up the snaps the d played at halftime vs clemson. It was high. Of course one reason is they couldnt get off the field. The other was the o couldnt stay on it.

Chan put his athletes on d. We had more depth on d. We did not tire as easy. We had good line rotations. Paul doesnt do that. He starts his athletes on o. We are not deep on d. We do get tired. And yes we fired the strength coach neal. And just now brought in sisk. Chan had ciano. So u r right. Good point. Again. Different coach philosophy. Better strength coach under chan. If chan has this roster on d even with tenuta his d would tire. Would we give up as many points? Not sure i dont think so because of how he played the field position game. But paul has issues all around.

Our d kept us in that unc game. Pitt game. Uva game. As far as clemson scored midway through the third despite the bad o was not ba

Last edited: