I want a run first pro style offense

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
I have been a big CPJ supporter and still want him to win, but I want a pro style offense again similar to Georgia's. If we don't win 8+ and beat UGA I want him canned

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Brian I think you are coming to the same conclusion that many Tech fans are coming to. Coach Johnson is a good man and a good football coach. He is married to his triple option (for lack of a better term) offense and he is not going to change. It defines who he is. I think he always wanted the opportunity to prove to the football world that his offense was viable not only at the Division 2 (for lack of a better term) but also at the D 1 level with the big boys.

I think his initial success was more a result of the teams we faced not being familiar with how to defense the unusual formations and the options the offense presented. I know a lot of folks like to say it was because Coach had Gailey's players and for sure there were a couple that were stellar, but I think most of the initial success was just due to the unfamiliarity of how to defense his offense among our opponents.

Now after 6 years, the teams we play regularly that have quality athletes in their programs have pretty much figured out how to defense this offense and we are struggling to win against those teams. I know many will say well we have always struggled to win against those teams, but if the truth were told we are not at that much of an athletic difference when you compare our players against, Miami, Va. Tech, Clemson and Georgia. Most of these games are close enough that we are in a position to win at some point in the game but typically fail to execute the key play when it comes to winning time. To me that gets down to coaching and building a winning attitude among your players. I think this is an area that Coach Johnson has come up short.

So in summary, I feel like he has had the time and opportunity to demonstrate that his offense can not only work but win big at this level and on that count he has fallen short. I also feel that as a coach he has not been able to inspire, motivate and develop a winning attitude in our teams that would allow them to win the tough, hard fought games. I appreciate his efforts and like him as a person but if it were my decision to make, I would be looking for new leadership after this season. I really project we will have a very similar result this coming year, 7 wins 5 losses and a 6th loss in a minor bowl game. That record has come to define Coach Johnson's term as our Head Coach.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Now after 6 years, the teams we play regularly that have quality athletes in their programs have pretty much figured out how to defense this offense and we are struggling to win against those teams. I know many will say well we have always struggled to win against those teams, but if the truth were told we are not at that much of an athletic difference when you compare our players against, Miami, Va. Tech, Clemson and Georgia. Most of these games are close enough that we are in a position to win at some point in the game but typically fail to execute the key play when it comes to winning time. To me that gets down to coaching and building a winning attitude among your players. I think this is an area that Coach Johnson has come up short.

I don't have any issue with most of what you posted, but I do love the on-going battle between the "he can't recruit" guys and the "we aren't that far athletically for the big boys" guys. It could be argued that if we ran a pro-style offense we would bring in higher ranked (for lack of a better term) recruits. But to say there isn't that much of an athletic difference between us and at least Clemson and Ga is silly. Yes we've been close to beating them, but I don't think that's an indication of close we are to them athletically.

I think CPJ having his guys run his system has to be taken into account in those games. Can his system be competitive if not win with a less athletic players?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Any offense works. Any defense works. It's about coaching and personnel. Look at the college landscape. Different schools are winning big with different offenses (and defenses).

'Bama - "Pro" Offense (with some Pistol)
Oregon - Chip Kelly's Spread Option with a more balanced run/pass
Auburn - Malzahn's Spread Option with heavy run
Baylor - "Traditional" spread with Air Raid elements
Ohio State - Meyer's version of the spread offense
FSU - "Pro" Offense
Stanford - "Pro" Offense (probably the most traditional of the "pro" offenses listed)

The gist is, you can win with any offense. You can recruit to any offense (depending on who's doing the recruiting). Friedgen's offense put up big numbers here. CPJ's offense puts up big numbers. Both shared some elements, but different philosophies on how they attacked the defense.

No single offense (or defense) is the correct answer...it really boils down to which coach can recruit and coach well enough to get results.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Any offense works. Any defense works. It's about coaching and personnel. Look at the college landscape. Different schools are winning big with different offenses (and defenses).

'Bama - "Pro" Offense (with some Pistol)
Oregon - Chip Kelly's Spread Option with a more balanced run/pass
Auburn - Malzahn's Spread Option with heavy run
Baylor - "Traditional" spread with Air Raid elements
Ohio State - Meyer's version of the spread offense
FSU - "Pro" Offense
Stanford - "Pro" Offense (probably the most traditional of the "pro" offenses listed)

The gist is, you can win with any offense. You can recruit to any offense (depending on who's doing the recruiting). Friedgen's offense put up big numbers here. CPJ's offense puts up big numbers. Both shared some elements, but different philosophies on how they attacked the defense.

No single offense (or defense) is the correct answer...it really boils down to which coach can recruit and coach well enough to get results.

A lot of people seem to not understand this.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Jerry the Jacket, answer this question for me. If we are struggling to win because teams are "figuring out" our offense or "becoming more familiar" with our offense, how do we score 7 points against UNC in year one and 68 in year five. They should have it figured by then, right? Why do we score 10 points against UGA in year five and 34 in year six?

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you count OT in that? Just wondering because you should have been pretty pleased with last season if that's your criteria. Only gave up 40 a couple times outside the double-OT game against Ga.

The point I was trying to make is that all of the blame is put on the offense while we give up 50+ to Clemson and 40+ to Miami and 38 to BYU. And all anyone talks about is wanting a pro style offense. Everyone talks about the strides our defense made but look at the numbers above. And you bring up UGA, their 2nd string offense put up 27 against us in regulation.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The point I was trying to make is that all of the blame is put on the offense while we give up 50+ to Clemson and 40+ to Miami and 38 to BYU. And all anyone talks about is wanting a pro style offense. Everyone talks about the strides our defense made but look at the numbers above. And you bring up UGA, their 2nd string offense put up 27 against us in regulation.

Looking at units in a vacuum not good.

Defense wore out due to the poor offense vs Clemson and BYU; in fact vs clemson we didn't get a first down for nearly 2 quarters and by then the game was basically over. Maimi was a catastrophy on D, turnovers and sp teams didn't help. Go back and watch the BYU game and seriously tell me u put that on the D

In fact, if not for the D last year we don't win UVA, Pitt or UNC. I could argue last year, the D helped with more wins than the O. If the offense shows a pulse vs BYU and Clemson, we may be in those games in the 3 Q without a worn out d. Hell we aren't in the Ole Miss game without the D. The offense bad again.

Again, last year the D played well. Equal at least to the O

boozinbuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I want to run our offense and tweak it to add more zone concepts similar to auburn, and hire a assistant coach that can infuse some 2000's passing concepts into it including protection schemes.

That is all I want.

we won't beat uga doing what uga does.
This. The triple option without a passing threat isn't going to cut it anymore now that the novelty has worm off and opponents are better at scheming and executing against it. From what I have observed, it is my opinion that there will be no credible passing threat in the near future. I was at the lunch bunch a few weeks back when CPJ said that this year we will be getting back to what we are good at, i.e. running the ball. I fully expect this coming year to be a repeat of the 6 - 6 2012 regular season.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This. The triple option without a passing threat isn't going to cut it anymore now that the novelty has worm off and opponents are better at scheming and executing against it. From what I have observed, it is my opinion that there will be no credible passing threat in the near future. I said that thiw year we will be getting back to what we are good at, i.e. running the ball. I fully expect this coming year to be a repeat of the 6 - 6 2012 regular season.

I think we are a 7 win team again...maybe 8, but 7 seems right...Chantastic

or maybe we should start saying GTastic

Jerry the Jacket, answer this question for me. If we are struggling to win because teams are "figuring out" our offense or "becoming more familiar" with our offense, how do we score 7 points against UNC in year one and 68 in year five. They should have it figured by then, right? Why do we score 10 points against UGA in year five and 34 in year six?

Don't confuse him with logic

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree that the TO is not the answer, but...No pro style offense! We need a spread offense along the lines of Baylor, Oregon, Clemson/Auburn.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Because it was against 2 different coaching staffs at UNC. Nice try.