I think Mark Bradley.......

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not offended, but quotes like yours regarding very particular data points such as "record vs FBS over the past four years" have become as cliche as "it is what it is."

Where did I say anything about "vs FBS"? Our record is .529 overall over the past 4 years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Oh, I forgot to mention we were 55th in 2012, 45th in 2011 and 71st in 2010. So if I used past performance, 55th is reasonable.

But after reading "Focused on the Top" about our 1990 championship season, lightning can strike with a few fortunate bounces if we are ready. In the years leading up to the championship, we were a lot worse than we are now.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is little that is published which is more meaningless and less worthy of argument than a pre-season college football poll.

It is a waste of space, and any argument about it is an awful waste of effort.

It will be what it will be. :)
Well said. Who cares. Just practice real hard and play the games.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Record is an important indicator of performance but it isn't the be all end all. How competitive we are in games and how much the team buys in go a long way for me. When we are a lucky bounce or call or one made play away from several huge wins and the coach is not sitting pat but making changes to better the team, it's hard for me to want to start all over again. Especially when it takes so long to figure out the recruiting puzzle at GT, which is unlike any other anywhere else.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I think I can answer that. It is

(Yr2 +- sqrt((yr2)^2 - 4(yr1*yr3)))/(2*yr1)

Edit: you do this for years 4,5, and 6 as well, then you graph the line and find the slope
At GT we take derivatives, finding slopes is for highschoolers (y)

sideways fan

Georgia Tech Fan

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
You're right. We are not a .500 program. For the last four years the record against FBS is below .500-- and FBS teams is what the Orlando Sentinel is ranking.

You are not a Tech fan. You are a Paul Johnson fan. And there IS a difference.
Paul Johnson is the head coach at Georgia Tech. There is no difference in supporting him and Tech.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
You're right. We are not a .500 program. For the last four years the record against FBS is below .500-- and FBS teams is what the Orlando Sentinel is ranking.

You are not a Tech fan. You are a Paul Johnson fan. And there IS a difference.

haha, you can't tell someone that they are or aren't a fan of something.

I am a Paul Johnson fan and a Georgia Tech fan...I am not 100% certain that he is the man for the Georgia Tech job but I am a fan of both.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Don't read the opposing coaches scouting report in Athlon it's even more scathing.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
haha, you can't tell someone that they are or aren't a fan of something.

I am a Paul Johnson fan and a Georgia Tech fan...I am not 100% certain that he is the man for the Georgia Tech job but I am a fan of both.
Agree about coach and gt. I still think he is the guy.
To me the Bradley hire is a positive and aggressive sign in the recruiting area in which we have been weak during coaches early years. I have been in touch w coach hurt and he has old contacts in Texas and wants to work with local coaches which I am going to help where I can.
Hoping for a strong and surprising 2014 against the BIG4 . If so - with the aggressive recruiting base we have started, we will be in a position to recruit well in the 2016and beyond.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really don't understand not being rational about CPJ, other than fans are not rational.

CPJ offense has not been the real issue to any rational fan (other than they don't like it).
His defensive coach selection is most likely been the biggest issue. Some believe Roof has solved this issue, some don't.
His next big issue is getting the recruiting front going. I think the last class and this class are showing he has started gaining momentum.
Special teams was an issue and they seem to be on a positive projection.
There have been very few games we have not been competitive into the 4th q.

We lost Vad and now we must make it through a team rebuilding year. I sure would hate to see CPJ leave in the next three years and go into a rebuilding program like UVA.

I think most want respect from the football community and feel they will never get it with CPJ. This seems to be true, I hate it, but true.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
To get respect in the football community is very straight forward, all we can do is win. We'll have the respect as long as we're winning, but as soon as we start to lose, the pyrahna will come out.

On another note, I really don't get people who want to discount our entire schedule to focus only on part of it. We can't count FCS schools as legitimate wins (although they would be skathing losses if we were to lose), so maybe we should not count wins against FBS teams that aren't part of the Power Five. Then we can further disregard wins against teams that aren't in the Top 50 because they suck anyway, especially if they're in our own conference. There we go. The only record that's important is our record against Top 50 teams, but only if they're from the Power Five conferences. Let's judge our success on that.

Bottom line is every game we play is part of our record. In my opinion, anyone who discounts any part of our schedule is promoting an agenda.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well I'm not a fan of CPJ & I would love to see another offense at GT.
But he's the coach and he isn't going anywhere so why B*tch about it.
Anyway respect comes from beating the hell out of your opponent which is something Tech hasn't done in four seasons. When you add the unorthodox nature of our offense it just makes us get dismissed off the CFB landscape. I don't blame anyone for dismissing GT we haven't earned the respect.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can understanding not liking the offense.

Miami and UNC get respect... I am not talking about fear respect. I am talking about the respect of being competitive.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Well I'm not a fan of CPJ & I would love to see another offense at GT.
But he's the coach and he isn't going anywhere so why B*tch about it.
Anyway respect comes from beating the hell out of your opponent which is something Tech hasn't done in four seasons. When you add the unorthodox nature of our offense it just makes us get dismissed off the CFB landscape. I don't blame anyone for dismissing GT we haven't earned the respect.

I don't think you even have to do that, just win.

Heck Auburn last year

Beat Wash St by 7
Beat Miss St by 4
Beat Ole Miss by 8
Beat A&M by 4
Beat uga by 5
Beat Bama by 6