I think Mark Bradley.......

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what Mark Bradley has to do with it.

Two things about the rankings seem suspect to me: Tulane where they were (seems high) and Georgia Southern where they were (seems low).

I'm ok starting out at 55. Until we start notching some wins against the better half our schedule then that's where we live.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Win some games against quality opponents. Our ranking will go up, and so will everything from attendance to recruiting.
Winning fixes a lot of things, including pre-season respect.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a problem with a preseason rank like that. Anybody who's a lesser bowl team outside of the top 25 could be ranked anywhere from the 30s to the 60s.

But lol at dude saying we're a .500 program. I love how nobody else has to discount their wins against FCS opponents or non-BCS opponents except GT.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have a problem with a preseason rank like that. Anybody who's a lesser bowl team outside of the top 25 could be ranked anywhere from the 30s to the 60s.

But lol at dude saying we're a .500 program. I love how nobody else has to discount their wins against FCS opponents or non-BCS opponents except GT.

Correct. We're not a .500 program; we're a .528 program over the past 4 years.

knox

Georgia Tech Fan
Which arbitrary sequence of years is most indicative of this coaching staff's ability? How about the first two, plus the last two? Or maybe the middle four?
Judge them when the majority of the players are theirs. So 2011 onwards.

We pretty much know what we've got at this point.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Which arbitrary sequence of years is most indicative of this coaching staff's ability? How about the first two, plus the last two? Or maybe the middle four?
What's arbitrary about it? 4 years is a recruiting cycle unless they redshirt.

In the minds of a teenager, I can assure you they don't think back an entire 4 years most of the time when they're considering how good a school has been. I see it all the time with the guys who play on my baseball team.

I'm sorry if it offends you but that's still our record over the past 4 years, unfortunately.

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not offended, but quotes like yours regarding very particular data points such as "record vs FBS over the past four years" have become as cliche as "it is what it is."

Eric and the other mods have done such a good job of keeping the same old GT board arguments from taking over this site, that I hate to see them creeping in lately. The same old battle lines get drawn, and the same old personalities make their appearance, and the drivel ensues. I know I've done my share of feeding the trolls in the past couple days, but I'm done.

Here's to rational GT football talk, even in the offseason!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We ended up about 40th last year (http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2013.htm ) with about a 64.2% chance to beat the "average" team. Ironically we started last season with an estimated chance of 59.7% chance of beating that average team.

If we end up 2014 sweason at about 59.7% likelihood, then we'll be .......... 57th.

All this is another way of saying there isn't a lot of difference between where we ended up at 40th and 55th. And it doesn't make any difference; we'll earn whatever ranking we get. No one knows how much better / worse we will be (that is a separate thread) and how much better / worse our opponents will be.

But I like having low expectations from the pundits because it makes the victories sweeter. This recruiting season has made me more optimistic. I know the players that are committing now won't show up for a year and most won't play for two. But last year's class was solid too. We seem to be going in the right direction.