I love what Collins is doing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Problem = everybody else is doing the same thing.

I'm not getting on Collin's case here; we want a coach who is pushing these memes. But … all the programs in college (and pro) football are emphasizing the same thing. I'm not surprised to find that Tech isn't sticking out.

I will say that I think Collins is sincere about this.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
TTP-there are those that set the example and those that follow the example.

Tech/Collins and Minnesota/Fleck are the young guys that are true, genuine and let the recruits feel the love they have for them. I think all the coaches “give love” and sell family but I think some are real and others are selling and recruits can see through the fakers.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not getting on Collin's case here; we want a coach who is pushing these memes. But … all the programs in college (and pro) football are emphasizing the same thing. I'm not surprised to find that Tech isn't sticking out.

I think you are wrong that everybody else is doing the same thing. I also think you are wrong that Tech isn’t sticking out.

Memes are humorous fads. These aren’t memes.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Collins is leading a lot of this. GT is the leader and everyone else the follower in getting election day as pretty much an NCAA Holiday. That's so the athletes have a chance to vote and be heard. That's huge

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Collins is leading a lot of this. GT is the leader and everyone else the follower in getting election day as pretty much an NCAA Holiday. That's so the athletes have a chance to vote and be heard. That's huge

Collins has been pretty vocal about supporting SA voting, but the person who got the national movement to give SAs the day off is another GT coach: Assistant BBall coach Eric Reveno.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm 100% behind voting day being (and becoming) a day off (and not just for athletes.) But I'm kinda hoping our athletes use mail-in ballots and stay out of the lines. I'd hate to have an outbreak because someone was in line coughing up a lung and our SAs get a positive result! Just being selfish :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think you are wrong that everybody else is doing the same thing. I also think you are wrong that Tech isn’t sticking out.

Memes are humorous fads. These aren’t memes.
Well, I don't see much evidence that this is true. I see lots of posturing by coaches all over the place, oth.

Btw, meme has a very particular meaning in semantics. It means a common expression that becomes the symbol of a particular idea or set of ideas. They can be humorous, but they usually aren't. They are often text, but anything that conveys the idea(s) works.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Well, I don't see much evidence that this is true. I see lots of posturing by coaches all over the place, oth.

Btw, meme has a very particular meaning in semantics. It means a common expression that becomes the symbol of a particular idea or set of ideas. They can be humorous, but they usually aren't. They are often text, but anything that conveys the idea(s) works.
Not sure why this spreading and becoming common is a negative at all???--coaches SHOULD care about their players as human beings, and about their total development on and off the field. And they they should care about the issues that affect these young men on and off the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why this spreading and becoming common is a negative at all???--coaches SHOULD care about their players as human beings, and about their total development on and off the field. And they they should care about the issues that affect these young men on and off the field.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with this. I'm for it, 100%. I just don't think that Collins is doing anything new by hopping on the bandwagon.

Oth, I'd be on his case if he hadn't. It's about time we all became aware of our problems and did something about them.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm 100% behind voting day being (and becoming) a day off (and not just for athletes.) But I'm kinda hoping our athletes use mail-in ballots and stay out of the lines. I'd hate to have an outbreak because someone was in line coughing up a lung and our SAs get a positive result! Just being selfish :)
Yep. In most countries, Election Day is a day off. The easy solution is to move it to Saturday or Sunday; the present federal election dates are set by statute and can be changed. We haven't done that probably because a) our politicians don't actually want to increase participation rates, b) if the federal government did this, it would end up paying for it, and c) businesses object to another federal holiday and religions object to using Sunday. Then there are a variety of BS reasons that boil down to the ones just mentioned.

But we should do this tomorrow.

rfripp68

Georgia Tech Fan

What the hell are you talking about? Don't know that you're correct but regardless - how in any way is this a problem?? Even if "all the programs in college (and pro) football" were promoting mental health, how many are as vocal about it publicly and show how they are helping their players by bringing in people like this to talk about it (i.e. not just chin music or making a donation)? Have you seen UGA, Bama, Clemson, etc post anything about suicide prevention and mental health?

Tech in particular had a recruit commit suicide, in case you forgot, so it is particularly important to make sure that mental health is not overlooked and is at the forefront. And back to "every program is doing it" - part of the problem with mental health is that people don't talk about it enough out loud. Posting about it on twitter etc for the world to see is a great thing - think about anyone who is a fan, potential recruit, etc that may see this could be tempted to call someone or rethink whatever they are doing/thinking if they are having dark thoughts. Maybe other programs only do it behind closed doors which is perfectly fine - but this sends a message outwardly that we are being proactive about it and not afraid to bring it up because maybe it doesn't project a "tough" image or some bs like that.

486d0caakl331.png