I love Cubs baseball, and I challenge anyone to not enjoy this clip.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Classic El Mago,

Go Cubs, Go. Watching Rizzo almost fall out of the dugout with laughter was - for me - the absolute best part.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
They should sit the first baseman for a week for having his head up his ***. Either turn around and touch first base or run hard at Javy and tag him out then tag out the guy coming from third. Also, the catcher and third basemen should be fined for not being aware of the runner. Damn! These guys are supposed to be professionals. Where's the pitcher during all this? He's supposed to be behind home plate with a runner at 3rd, so he should be able to see everything and jumping up and down waving for the 1st baseman to see the runner before it's too late. Too many people standing around being spectators.

I hate stupid baseball, especially from the pros.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
They should sit the first baseman for a week for having his head up his ***. Either turn around and touch first base or run hard at Javy and tag him out then tag out the guy coming from third. Also, the catcher and third basemen should be fined for not being aware of the runner. Damn! These guys are supposed to be professionals. Where's the pitcher during all this? He's supposed to be behind home plate with a runner at 3rd, so he should be able to see everything and jumping up and down waving for the 1st baseman to see the runner before it's too late. Too many people standing around being spectators.

Another interesting thing to think about is the runner on 2B here... the guy who scored. There are 2 outs. He's on 2nd base when ball is hit to 3B. Once the 1st baseman (Craig) catches the ball... that runner & all the defenders should ONLY be thinking "inning over"... no reasonable professional player would consider what was about to happen.

So I'm the runner at 2B. I see ball fielded & thrown & caught by Craig. I see Baez stop and retreat. Why in world would I consider breaking for home? Even if I do cross home plate & go sit in dugout while Craig figures out the solution.... As soon as Baez is tagged or Craig retreats to 1B to tag base...inning ends & all I did was look stupid (what did I think?... run counts in that case if I score before a batter is "forced out" at 1st on 3rd out)

In order to look like a genius (which the runner does)... he has to be aware AHEAD OF TIME, he's about to be the straw to break back on one of the dumbest plays made in the history of baseball.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Not sure what the catcher, 3B, or pitcher have to do with this being a dumb play. It’s literally all on the first baseman. The only other person you could blame would be the 2nd baseman. And there’s really no reason for him to be involved in this play either. A ball hit to the left side of the infield means that it’s his job to cover 2nd. Sure when the 1st baseman vacated first he should’ve went to cover, but the 1st baseman should’ve never vacated the bag without tagging Baez anyway. There’s no reason for the pitcher to back up the plate, on a ground ball to 3rd base and 2 outs. The catcher was aware of the runner, but that runner shouldn’t have mattered, and by the time he got the ball he was just trying to get somebody out.

A bad throw by the 3rd baseman is an excusable error. What the 1st baseman did after that is completely inexcusable though.