I guess we should have known

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm having my coffee today and reflecting on yesterday's debacle.

Dodd knew football probably better than any coach in America at the time he coached at Tech. He made a few comments that I still remember.
  • You have to be able to recruit Atlanta. Kids, even undersized ones, play harder when their friends and family are at the game.
  • Don't kill them in practice. Saturday is when it counts.
  • Keep the game close. Don't let it get out of hand. If you are close in the 4th quarter, you have a chance to win.
That last bullet is pure Bob Neyland. If a team scores, you must score in return ... must, must, must.

Ken N's TO philosophy explains this perfectly (even if you don't run the TO) ... if you are athletically outmatched, you must limit the number of possessions, control the clock through running, pass over their heads (to make them respect the run) and try to keep the game close.

Can anyone smarter than me explain what Geoff is doing from a strategy standpoint knowing that we are so outmatched?

Animal02

Banned
I'm having my coffee today and reflecting on yesterday's debacle.

Dodd knew football probably better than any coach in America at the time he coached at Tech. He made a few comments that I still remember.
  • You have to be able to recruit Atlanta. Kids, even undersized ones, play harder when their friends and family are at the game.
  • Don't kill them in practice. Saturday is when it counts.
  • Keep the game close. Don't let it get out of hand. If you are close in the 4th quarter, you have a chance to win.
That last bullet is pure Bob Neyland. If a team scores, you must score in return ... must, must, must.

Ken N's TO philosophy explains this perfectly (even if you don't run the TO) ... if you are athletically outmatched, you must limit the number of possessions, control the clock through running, pass over their heads (to make them respect the run) and try to keep the game close.

Can anyone smarter than me explain what Geoff is doing from a strategy standpoint knowing that we are so outmatched?
Preparing players for 'Dancing with the Stars' when their NFL aspirations don't pan out?;)

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Preparing players for 'Dancing with the Stars' when their NFL aspirations don't pan out?;)

Speaking of that, I remember reading early in the season that Coach Wiesehan was working with Tyler Davis to help him prepare for an NFL career. Wonder how that’s working out so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Bringing up Paul Johnson must help you cope. At least, it’s a heathy coping mechanism. So, good for you.

Johnson is the only reason some hate the current coach. Bringing him up is pertinent to the criticism of the current staff.

When one removes their love for the past staff/scheme/style and looks at the current roster for what it is, one is able to see the mess that this staff inherited.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Johnson is the only reason some hate the current coach. Bringing him up is pertinent to the criticism of the current staff.

When one removes their love for the past staff/scheme/style and looks at the current roster for what it is, one is able to see the mess that this staff inherited.

I think you make a fair point but ... the AD is watching all of this and has a responsibility to ask the question: "How are we planning for the future?" If he saw that the roster was that weak, should he not be sitting with Paul and asking, "Hey, we love you. But, I'm looking out 3 years and it looks like we will hit a rough patch if we moved away from the TO. Are we doing the right thing here, recruiting-wise?"

It's like we saw that we were going to experience a head on collision and didn't even both to buckle the seat belt.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think you make a fair point but ... the AD is watching all of this and has a responsibility to ask the question: "How are we planning for the future?" If he saw that the roster was that weak, should he not be sitting with Paul and asking, "Hey, we love you. But, I'm looking out 3 years and it looks like we will hit a rough patch if we moved away from the TO. Are we doing the right thing here, recruiting-wise?"

It's like we saw that we were going to experience a head on collision and didn't even both to buckle the seat belt.
I guess the real question is do we really know what he said to CPJ ?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I dunno if you can really ask a coach to recruit for the next coach. Not like he could have gotten any prostyle qbs or tight ends. Maybe we could have gotten a couple extra OL, but again, not the type we would need. I dont think there was any avoiding this.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
TStan could step in and put pressure on GC making staff changes in the off season. The lack of offense is just too compelling to ignore. The numbers don't lie.

He would need to find a good bit of extra money if he wants to go that route. I think this is a move you make after year 2, at earliest.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t George Allen say the future is now?
Yes, but he said it when he had a veteran, aging bunch, the "over the hill gang". The future had better be "now" because there weren't going to be too many tomorrows.

We're is a vastly different situation. We're building from an unstable and depleted foundation. For us, the future is in the future.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

so they're not culpable in creating it?
whey are we losing guys to injuries in practice this time of year? PJ would back off contact this late in the year so guys wouldn't get hurt, figuring they've done enough hitting in practice that they should know how to do it by now. and yet we're losing guys now because they are getting hurt in practice.

and as much as I appreciate what Marco Coleman did as a player at Tech, keep in mind he was available as a coach for a reason.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
it was going to be a terrible day when one of our guys, who was carrying the US flag as he ran out on to the field on hero's day, trips on Buzz and falls to the ground, dropping the flag to the turf in the process. To compound matters, he got up and ran away, leaving the flag on the ground?!? What the h&!! is that? I couldn't believe my eyes. We are going to be honoring those who have made sacrifices all day, but we start out by tossing the flag to the turf and running away scared? We talk about culture, effort, and building a program the right way.........

Am I making too much of this?
Who was it?