I Guess I Need a Lesson

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Btw a inside veer is the same as a midline triple option keying on the DT. They are all three option plays.

The fun motions you see or the lineman movements make the plays looks so different but in some cases its the same play. And whats better is you can do all this voodoo and just simply call a handoff that looks like a veer. But a called handoff and when it doesnt work everyone goes jt missed a read lol.

In our O the midline triple is still different from the inside veer triple. They differ in Bback track, dive key, and the track of the lead aback.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The Triple option is one play!!! We are an option team... What you saw was fullback Dives.... The TO play incorporatesthe fullback Dive, however we can run the dive with no TO.

The Speed option and Counter option are two other option plays in teh play book....(Glad we run the counter option missed that last year)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
So in doing some reading, it does indeed look like some coaches coach an outside veer as a double option. The back is there on a pitch track, so the pitch option is there making it technically a TO, but some coaches instruct their QB to disregard the pitch man and just get upfield asap after the mesh keep, because the mesh happens so far outside that the pitch back would be much more likely to be running horizontal than vertical at pitch time.

My guess is that PJ coaches the outside veer as a double option, and because of the way wofford was aligned, was running outside veer, explaining his comment.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
In our O the midline triple is still different from the inside veer triple. They differ in Bback track, dive key, and the track of the lead aback.

i guess, i haven't spent time looking at it. Midline for sure the bb goes right over the centers butt and you read that tackle, vs a inside veer which attacks bgap and could be a 3tech read. But the blocking at the poa is similar how the line doubles and drives

but you can also run a midline to look just like a veer and vice versa if you are trying to disguise run gaps etc....

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump Re-watch JT's "run in to the tunnel" play. Notice what the "pitch" Aback does.... lead blocks with the B Back.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump Re-watch JT's "run in to the tunnel" play. Notice what the "pitch" Aback does.... lead blocks with the B Back.

Two perfectly executed lead blocks in the open field. The defender blocked by the lead Aback is so focused on assignment he makes no attempt to tackle JT even though his assignment is in front of the play and not trailing in pitch relationship. That's discipline. Days just blows up his man big time! JT shows no hesitation and good acceleration through a small crease. Love everything about that play.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's no option play at all. It's more of a QB Draw, with roll-out action. I don't know what CPJ calls that (nor what other coaches call it for that matter...QB waggle keep?)
I wonder if that's the play where the tv announcer made the comparison to Pop Warner football where you just sent the whole team to one side and let your best athlete, the qb, carry the ball behind the mass of humanity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's no option play at all. It's more of a QB Draw, with roll-out action. I don't know what CPJ calls that (nor what other coaches call it for that matter...QB waggle keep?)

Yeah, designed "hard" play rather than a "read" play.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder if that's the play where the tv announcer made the comparison to Pop Warner football where you just sent the whole team to one side and let your best athlete, the qb, carry the ball behind the mass of humanity.

Sounds like an old single-wing play. In little league, we played a team who ran the single wing, and they would shift their backfield left or right, and 90% of the time they'd run that way, after snapping it to the deep tailback (while the quarterback was blocking and calling the signals).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Strategically, if us fans think we can "read" if it's a triple (or any other option play for that matter) through certain keys or assignments, you have to believe our coaches are thinking the same things...as well as opposing DCs. CPJ is a very smart guy who's been doing this for a long time...I'm certain he's thinking the same thing and using it to his advantage. OK...I'll give the defense all the "keys and reads" of a 3O play, but adjust it on our side to take advantage of it...give our QB a different read.

That's why it's hard to say "The QB made the wrong read". Like I've been saying, unless you heard CPJ and the players make the play call, you just really making educated guess. Doesn't mean you're wrong...but doesn't mean you're right either.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Two perfectly executed lead blocks in the open field. The defender blocked by the lead Aback is so focused on assignment he makes no attempt to tackle JT even though his assignment is in front of the play and not trailing in pitch relationship. That's discipline. Days just blows up his man big time! JT shows no hesitation and good acceleration through a small crease. Love everything about that play.
The other AB, Perkins, got his block on the OLB as well.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
If our backs can consistently block like that, we're in for a good season. Wofford had no shot there, even though all of their guys played their assignments very well.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I don't think we ever run a true outside veer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen it. Running a true outside veer generally requires the QB to take a step or two laterally down the line, and usually our QBs are making their reads from their spot right behind the center (though they obviously open up in different ways depending on if it's midline or triple/inside veer).

In an outside veer, the dive goes to the OUTSIDE of the offensive tackle, so against most defenses you're reading the outside linebacker on the dive. zhavenor is right on this point. However, just because you're reading the outside linebacker, doesn't mean you're running an outside veer.

.........................S...............................S......................................
..................................................................................................
C........................LB.........LB........................................................C
..........................E.....T.........T......E......LB..........................................
WR.......................LT...LG..C..RG..RT.......................................WR
...........................A...............Q.............A...........................................
.............................................B..........................................................

If you're running triple option to the right side and you're faced with the above defensive look - where the OLB is now the first guy on or outside the offensive tackle, because the defensive end is inside that tackle - the QB is now reading the OLB on the dive. Still an inside veer.

Here are some outside veers. Notice the QBs steps down the line.

One thing we do - and did in this game - is run a double option where the BB aims to cut the defensive end, who would usually be the dive read on the triple option.
Another play we ran a few times this game is a double option where the AB will give a little shove to the defensive end and/or attack the next guy in his field of vision.

On both plays, the tackle is "veering" past the defensive end, so it looks like our traditional triple option, but it's not. On both plays, JT will stick it in the BBs gut, so he looks like he's reading a dive key...but he's not.

I'll have to go through longestdays' BB thread to point out examples. I'll probably do that this afternoon.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When do we graduate from the double option to the triple option? (tic)

I understand very little of the blocking schemes and it seems to bounce around my head and leave. But great to see you back stylee!!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
One thing we do - and did in this game - is run a double option where the BB aims to cut the defensive end, who would usually be the dive read on the triple option.

On both plays, the tackle is "veering" past the defensive end, so it looks like our traditional triple option, but it's not. On both plays, JT will stick it in the BBs gut, so he looks like he's reading a dive key...but he's not.

I want to say those mid 90's Nebraska teams used to do this all the time. They'd run TO action, but the dive would be a pure fake and he'd take outside the playside DE, and Frazier would run double option.

Then occasionally they'd run a called dive.