I Guess I Need a Lesson

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Inside veer vs outside veer. Double options with an a back arcing to create over pursuit. Lots of things can look like triple options and that not have been the playcall. Also, coach is picky about terminology.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Can someone post a CPJ approved TO play for me to reference. I really can't tell the difference.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear you, but the speed option has the BB as a lead blocker and the counter has a reverse pivot, neither of which happened on these plays.

Now I'm confused. What do you call the play where the BB is the pitchman? There was at least one of those run where Laskey took the pitch. Nesbit/Dwyer ran that play all the time.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Now I'm confused. What do you call the play where the BB is the pitchman? There was at least one of those run where Laskey took the pitch. Nesbit/Dwyer ran that play all the time.
I liked seeing that play and have been hoping that is another reason for Days to be at BB.

Seems like Snoddy would good on that play but have to sneak him in so it is not telegraphed. Maybe use Snoddy on a wheel route or screen or a couple other type plays so the D still has to play conservative when he is in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I also thought the BB as the pitch guy was the speed option:

(forward to 4:32...against UGA!)

According to this, it is the speed option:

http://footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/flexbone-and-b-back-running-game.html

BTW...that link differentiates several type of flex option plays.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Counter option has a ABack pitch... CPJ also called it a trap option and rephrased for the audience as a counter option Monday night.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Counter option has a ABack pitch... CPJ also called it a trap option and rephrased for the audience as a counter option Monday night.

DERP, you're right. I said counter but meant freeze. (I tend to think of it as a counter option because the lineplay is very similar to counter)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I agree with @Longestday that Trap Option and Counter Option are the same play. The "playside" Guard pulls and trap blocks the "backside" DT. I put playside and backside in quotes because the QB initially faces "backwards" giving the "counter" motion before turning and rolling out in pitch relationship with the trailing A-back. As I understand it, it's only a double option between pitch and keep with no real dive option.

I also agree that Speed Option refers to a play in which the B-Back is the pitch back. The B-back is a lead blocker in a lead option (not midline lead).

All of this has a big IIUC attached.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
There are times when you would want to call the TO play, with all of it's normal blocking assignments, with a pre-ordained BB give. Two reasons mainly.
1. To make the DE commit to the dive and/or see how committed the DE is to the dive. You want the defense to see that you are totally committed to handing that ball to the BB, so they better honor it (not just a token look-in by the dive responsible defender).
2. You think the BB can get by that first guy, and so you beat him without even blocking him, everybody else is blocked on the 2nd level and there's a great chance it's off to the races.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
With the missed reads,etc it is still not reassuring to see the "other" TO team actually run for more yds and higher average than us when we are higher level and have the "option guru" --even though their powerful def was playing the run.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@alaguy are you sure???
  • Snoddy's long run was counted as a pass, but is normally a run.
  • What is wrong with completed passing?
  • What's wrong when you make a single play on a drive that was a pass TD that prevented you from more running?
  • If they stack the box you pass and you should make receptions (if you have a good passer and receivers).
The only thing that people have a "reasonable" grip about is why did we not stuff the running option team and prevent them from running (because we practice it all the time) and, therefore, have way more rushing yards then Wofford. My thoughts is that I did not prefer the scheme we ran (I think GT O would have killed our own scheme)... but I would not hire me to pick a scheme and nor should anyone else.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When are we going to get rid of this pass happy gimmick offense and start running the football?

See: 2011 season

Let's be happy that JT looks good throwing the ball...actually GT looks great throwing the ball. But lets not get ahead of ourselves after 1 game against an outmanned team.

BTW...I know you were being sarcastic.