I Guess I Need a Lesson

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coach just said on the radio show that we didn't run any triple option at all during the game. However, I saw at least 4 dives where an unblocked player, who lined up on the outside shoulder of the OT, made the tackle on the BB. What other play would leave that defensive player unblocked?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now, 15 minutes later he said we ran more counter than we did triple, implying there was some triple run. I am lost.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about the play call but I thought I saw on one of those plays where Laskey got blown up that JT was not looking at the defender. Unless he was looking out his ear hole as you suggested previously. :)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'd say it was because it's hard to run correctly and our QB was in his first start with new people at every skill position except WR. Shoot, I'd call a lot of designed plays in that situation. I remember that was just what Coach did for Nesbitt his first year. It took awhile for him to let go of the reins on Josh. I expect that it'll be a bit sooner for JT, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him constrained for awhile.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Coach just said on the radio show that we didn't run any triple option at all during the game. However, I saw at least 4 dives where an unblocked player, who lined up on the outside shoulder of the OT, made the tackle on the BB. What other play would leave that defensive player unblocked?

Either he called plays that are designed to look like the triple option but are predetermined, because he didn't want Thomas to read the defense, or he is just flat-out lying in order to cover up for Thomas's gaffes in a few of the plays where he made the wrong read.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Either he called plays that are designed to look like the triple option but are predetermined, because he didn't want Thomas to read the defense, or he is just flat-out lying in order to cover up for Thomas's gaffes in a few of the plays where he made the wrong read.
I think he's trying to limit the progressions for a new starting QB in the beginning of the season. I think we all know that CPJ is not going to lie to cover up for missed reads. He's pretty open when reads are missed, whether it's teh QB or a blocker.

AJ: I don't know if it's subconscious on my part when I read something you write regarding the program or something subconscious on your part when you write regarding the program, but there is always seems to be an undercurrent of disdain for CPJ that creeps into your posts. Just an observation, not an indictment.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I got the impression from CPJs comments that we did not run a lot of triple. We mainly ran double and speed options. Weren't those counters doubles sense the BB is the pitch guy?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He also said we ran some outside veer and some "hard dives," the latter of which I understood as a called give on option motion.

It may be that he uses "triple option" as a label for our base play, the inside veer. Also, there are a variety of reads, pre-snap and post-snap, as well as a variety of option plays. So, saying that we didn't run "triple option" doesn't mean that we weren't running any options.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Wait a minute, in the post game presser, coach said JT missed a bunch of reads. How is that not the option?
Big difference between double option and triple option. A called double option may involve a fake to the BB, which looks like triple. Many fans will say that the QB missed a read, but that may have been the play call.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting. I did comment during the game that I was not seeing many plays that were obviously TO.

But then I didn't expect to use the whole playbook on Wofford. Let's get to work on Tulane.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If the plays run were not TO, why were we leaving the guy on the end (the actual tackler on the plays in question) unblocked? I feel pretty sure JT WAS looking at the unblocked player on most of the handoffs I am referring to. I'm confused.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was confused too... the AB was blocking like a dive yet the DE was unblocked. Could the plays have been a triple option called dive?

I left the all BB gives out of the options because I could not tell if they were a dive.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

Wouldn't a counter option or speed option have an unblocked defender outside the OT?

It may be a question of terminology like AE87 suggests. I suspect that there is only one specific play that CPJ calls the triple option. That would make sense since calling every play with three options the 'triple option' would be ambiguous and lead to confusion.

I suggest going back to the film and calling it as you see it, regardless of what CPJ said. Remember too, that it is possible that the player wasn't supposed to be unblocked, but someone fouled up their assignment (hopefully not four times!). You know a lot about football, trust what you see on the film.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wouldn't a counter option or speed option have an unblocked defender outside the OT?

It may be a question of terminology like AE87 suggests. I suspect that there is only one specific play that CPJ calls the triple option. That would make sense since calling every play with three options the 'triple option' would be ambiguous and lead to confusion.

I suggest going back to the film and calling it as you see it, regardless of what CPJ said. Remember too, that it is possible that the player wasn't supposed to be unblocked, but someone fouled up their assignment (hopefully not four times!). You know a lot about football, trust what you see on the film.
I hear you, but the speed option has the BB as a lead blocker and the counter has a reverse pivot, neither of which happened on these plays.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet CPJ would be laughing about this ..... we saw a lot of "spread option" football. JT was clearly upset with some of the plays. I don't he would physically show that he was upset if CPJ had called them. Much more likely that he knows he had bad reads; on double option, veer option, or whatever.

Like I commented elsewhere, unless you know what the play call is you can't be sure since some of the players may have screwed up their assignments.