I gave up..

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
There were a couple of moments where I said "that's game" or "here we go again." And I admit to telling my wife after the fumble TD "there's no way we can beat them if they get those kinds of breaks." But I never turned the game off or stopped watching.

That being said, it was kind of like watching a good movie. You start figuring it out and think to yourself "ok, I know where this ones going. Seen it a hundred times before." Then it takes a huge twist that you never imagined and you walk away saying "that was the the best movie I've seen in a long time."

Glad I stuck it out to the end. And glad our boys showed the determination to win against all odds.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I will and can gripe with the best of them BUT I will not ever turn on the team that I have supported for going on 50 years! Anyone who wants to gripe after this game just ain't right! Are there issues? Of course there are, what team can't say they have issues to correct but if you're a fan you support your team and your coaches, period, end of discussion!

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Hard to believe people gave up on THIS game. Yes the first half was frustrating because we left 17 points on the field, but I felt like we could make those same plays in the second half.

I gave up in the third quarter.

Eating crow now.
I went out and mowed my back yard. Came back and played the DVR. You guys really need to take up a collection and pay me not to watch. :) Good (if improbable) win that opens up lots of possibilities for the rest of the year. Our guys appear to be a resilient bunch.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hard to believe people gave up on THIS game. Yes the first half was frustrating because we left 17 points on the field, but I felt like we could make those same plays in the second half.

I think there is a difference between expecting to lose based on game flow and no longer watching or leaving the game. I think most people, myself included, who "gave up" expected to lose but continued to watch.

When I said in the second quarter "Game Over" after going down two scores, it was because that is the way things have been at GT for years. The last time we came from two scores behind to win was UNC last year at home where I think we were favored. The time before that was 2010 against Wake at Wake where we were favored I think.

I didn't find any time the 2009 team was down two scores and came back to win!
I would have thought for sure they did.

Winning in Lane Stadium is very hard. Especially when they are favored. They are like 90% there. ECU jumped up 21 on them in the first and barely held on to win. Winning from behind is hard and two scores down is even harder.

Sort of puts into perspective the accomplishment yesterday. This is a different team.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think there is a difference between expecting to lose based on game flow and no longer watching or leaving the game. I think most people, myself included, who "gave up" expected to lose but continued to watch.

When I said in the second quarter "Game Over" after going down two scores, it was because that is the way things have been at GT for years. The last time we came from two scores behind to win was UNC last year at home where I think we were favored. The time before that was 2010 against Wake at Wake where we were favored I think.

I didn't find any time the 2009 team was down two scores and came back to win!
I would have thought for sure they did.

Winning in Lane Stadium is very hard. Especially when they are favored. They are like 90% there. ECU jumped up 21 on them in the first and barely held on to win. Winning from behind is hard and two scores down is even harder.

Sort of puts into perspective the accomplishment yesterday. This is a different team.

Nuke, I read what you posted in chat yesterday. I never got the sense you gave up, your comments related back to the statistical probabilities and we all know that life(and football games) sometimes ignore what SHOULD happen :D

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure that I never posted or thought, "We're going to lose," but I wasn't thinking or posting, "We're going to win" after we went down by two scores either. I did think, and may have posted, "we suck" or something like that as an exasperation of how many 3rd and 7+ we allowed them to convert, eventually into points. While we have to feel good about being 4-0, we also need to take seriously how ugly we've won. We still need to get better, especially on D.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everyone has their coping mechanisms. Mine is trying to rationalize statistically. I thought we were going to lose in the second quarter, but come to half time when we were only down a score, it was all about holding VT on that 2nd half opening drive. Then I figured our chances were back up to 15-20%.

My wife's was to leave 1/2 way through the fourth quarter and go into another room. She can't take the football angst of watching us lose. Happened too many times.

We had a couple with a baby at the game watching, the baby messed it's diaper about the time we tied the game. My wife says that it's a lucky diaper and is holding it in the air when JT intercepts the pass. She wouldn't come back into the room just like another person wouldn't move from where he was standing when things started going right. (The diaper did get thrown out BTW.) After the game we sang and acted stupid and then watched the 4th quarter again.

Rational? No. Fun? Yes. A bit drunk and disorderly? Yes.

I'm really glad that the entire chat isn't put out on the site for later viewing. What is said in the chat room should stay in the chat room ..........

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am having a little trouble making a connection in my brain with some of the stuff I am hearing in this thread. When I hear things like "I am glad I stuck it out" or "I didn't give up" or "didn't turn off the set" it just doesn't compute for me. I am lost. I get that sports is an emotional event. What I don't get is the implication that watching a loss is too much to bear. There is one winner and one loser in every contest. The very drama of it all is one of the main reasons we should watch. If we deny ourselves any possible pain and are only willing to experience the ups, then where are we?

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I am having a little trouble making a connection in my brain with some of the stuff I am hearing in this thread. When I hear things like "I am glad I stuck it out" or "I didn't give up" or "didn't turn off the set" it just doesn't compute for me. I am lost. I get that sports is an emotional event. What I don't get is the implication that watching a loss is too much to bear. There is one winner and one loser in every contest. The very drama of it all is one of the main reasons we should watch. If we deny ourselves any possible pain and are only willing to experience the ups, then where are we?

If Tech is getting blown out and there seems to be no way to come back, I will go do something else and just keep track of the score from time to time, just in case a miracle seems to be in the making. In the end, watching football is a form of entertainment, and what does not compute is forcing yourself to watch something that is as un-entertaining as seeing Tech get blown out by some team.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say I have up but I was definitely upset. I thought the game was over a couple of times but never gave up. The defense stepped up when they had to and then justin was JeT and scored when we had to have it. This could be a fun year and I will definitely enjoy it.