I found this quote from CPJ interesting

We tend to take more projects than Bama, so giving them time to develop makes sense. Bama fills it's classes with 4 and 5 stars, it's less risky and more rewarding for them to have higher turn over.
But the implication is that Bama takes a four star, and if he doesn't immediately produce, show signs of brilliance or gets hurt, he's gone. And then they just reload with another 4 star??

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
To me depth means that you NOT ONLY have competent 1st unit guys but CAPABLE replacements for them if they go down.
It is a VERY strange statement in that there is really only ONE guy on the Oline that is guaranteed a slot-Shaq.The rest are lots of wishing and hoping and potential--and that is in the FIRST unit so the by definition the 2nd unit is lesser.
I think Aback is close to what would be described as having depth- even though the first guys are not great - but we have proven replacements.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To me depth means that you NOT ONLY have competent 1st unit guys but CAPABLE replacements for them if they go down.
It is a VERY strange statement in that there is really only ONE guy on the Oline that is guaranteed a slot-Shaq.The rest are lots of wishing and hoping and potential--and that is in the FIRST unit so the by definition the 2nd unit is lesser.
I think Aback is close to what would be described as having depth- even though the first guys are not great - but we have proven replacements.
I agree with your definition, but my guess is CPJ was referring to raw numbers when he made that statement about depth. My outlook on the season is very much tied to how well we stay healthy. If we do, I'm not worried about the OL.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On top of that, we don't oversign or wash out under performing players like the factories. I think Bama cycles through twice as many players as we do over a 5 yr period. Think about that for a minute.

It's only about 50% more. I looked at the four year averages and Alabama has consistently had about 50% more commits. I posted a chart but don't feel like looking it up because your basic point stands. More kids, more chances for success. On top of that, they get kids who are already faster, stronger and more highly rated than ours.

So we play the game / recruit our way and do the best we can. It is the right way for the kids. How we play the game is more important to me than the results; even though the results are very very important. Who we are and what we value is more important. Period. Maybe 1990 repeats. But we shouldn't (and haven't) make a commitment to a kid and then cut him because he is only on the scout team and didn't develop into a starter.