I expect the GSU game to be

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
a replay of the Tulane game. They're pumped, we make a couple of mistakes early, and get down by 7-10 points. We pull even in the 2nd qtr and pull away in the second half.

At the end of the season, you can often look back and see a pattern that began the first couple of games repeat itself throughout the season. What year was it that six straight games we sacked the qb, caused a fumble, and ran it into the end zone? IIRC, we almost did it a couple of other games. Maybe we are seeing the start of this year's pattern: Struggle early, pull even or ahead at half, wear them out the second half. I know that does not comport with our supposed lack of depth. Maybe better conditioning is showing up. All I know is that the last two games were played in a furnace, and we seemed to have something left at the end of each.

Who will have more depth than us or enough depth to make us pay late for early mistakes if that pattern persists? Based on no evidence other than past performances, I would say not UVA even though they are looking better. Not Duke, nor UNC, nor Pitt, nor NC State. Miami and VT maybe. Miami sure ran out of steam against Louisville. Clemson and uga, certainly, but we get them at the end of the year. Will we have added depth or lost it by then? Or maybe we get better early performances that late in the year. We don't need to forget we lost our qb, top two running backs, and the two most experienced OL from last year's team. Here's hoping our slow starts are a function of inexperience that will diminish as the season progresses.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I tend to think that we will not come out slow again for the 3rd week in a row. I think our defense will make a stop to start the game and we will have a nice 4-5 minute drive for a score. I think we'll be up 14-3 to start the second quarter and 21-10 to start the half and then we will wear them down and win 42-16 or something along those lines.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I tend to think that we will not come out slow again for the 3rd week in a row. I think our defense will make a stop to start the game and we will have a nice 4-5 minute drive for a score. I think we'll be up 14-3 to start the second quarter and 21-10 to start the half and then we will wear them down and win 42-16 or something along those lines.

One advantage we have: the Ga Southern offense plays into our LB strength/depth and we will probably play the 4-3 a lot....and Davis on the field a lot.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I will be surprised, very, if Tech drops this one. I know it may be competitive but Tech wins unless we are -4 in the turnover column.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think it will be a bar fight. They've waited for this awhile and, after UF last year, they won't be lacking confidence. What we will need is for the D to play a complete game at a high level. If that happens, I think we win, easy. Otherwise, I feel a bit apprehensive.

But I most always feel apprehensive this time of year. And, as usual, I'll be happy with a 1 point win.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
DO NOT be surprised if Southern takes this game.
NOT a chance (well, maybe a chance, but so highly unlikely that it's just like no chance). I will not be surprised to see GSU may a game of it in the first half to 3/4's, but win? Not likely.

Too many important things going against GSU in this one, not the least are that CPJ will not allow GT to lose to GSU and GT's performance the first two weeks. The only way GSU had a chance was to sneak up on an overconfident team. Ain't no way these guys will be overconfident after the first two games.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Just like every game this yr--I think the Off will do ok--the def is very worrisome, esp since we didn't do that well stopping Woff in their option game

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just like every game this yr--I think the Off will do ok--the def is very worrisome, esp since we didn't do that well stopping Woff in their option game
I hear what you're saying, and here's my thought: the GSU game will be a barometer for the remainder of the season. We didn't stop Wofford's option game well, and Tulane had a totally different type of offense. So, we're going back to [play a similar type offense as the first week. How we progress from Wofford to GSU will be very telling.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess it is time to talk about the GSU game. First and foremost, I will be there. Can't say how happy I am to be able to say such a thing. I haven't seen them play so it is hard to form an educated opinion, but I have to believe they will have a hard time stopping us. For those who look back to the Gator game last year, think about UF's offense in 2013. Now think about our offense in 2014. They may give us some fits similar to Wofford and or Tulane. However, I really don't see them stopping us much. Here is my gut. We score 3/4 of our possessions whether FG or TD. They score 2/5 of theirs. Now, given the total number of likely possessions there will be in the game, you can figure how many TOs they will need to overcome our advantage. If we lose TOs by 3 or 4 it may be a game. That is how I see it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
... GSU game to ... be VERY important must win to coach. Losing to old school who has moved up to fbs with a rookie coach and a new offense would be bad in and of itself. However, I think coach knows these guys are loaded for bear and know the TO . Coach loves this challenge and just loves a chance to get the juices flowing. He has his swagger back.
I predict great play calling.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
GT losing to GSU, I don't know if CPJ survives that.

I think CPJ will have a long a fruitful career at GT.
I think CPJ will have his boys ready to play. I can't imagine how badly he doesn't want to lose this one. We'll be motivated and won't take GSU lightly.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Southern lost a close game to a ****ty nc state team and now they think they are amazing.... Might be close through the first quarter but we win comftorably.